Fuse Tap for Garmin Zumo XT - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Fuse Tap for Garmin Zumo XT

What switched circuit should I fuse tap to hardwire a Zumo XT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think (thought?) that my Garmin came with a fused cord. I think I remember attaching it directly to the battery.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 03:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I am comfortable saying that you might be able to tap the Hazard Light circuit which is a 10 Amp fuse. And your hot lead for the GPS should be fuse protected, so you should be good there.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter
Greg

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span, those hours spent riding a motorcycle.

Old Corral - 77 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl; '78 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt; '76 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue; '80 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"; '80 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion; '98 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 04:03 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Fuse Tap for Garmin Zumo XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboy View Post
What switched circuit should I fuse tap to hardwire a Zumo XT?
Calboy,

I would guess that any of the heavier-rated fuses will have enough spare power for a Zumo. Check your Owners Manual for the correct fuse ratings, and then choose a likely donor fuse.
Caution: what is actually in the fuse box now may or may not be fuses of the correct ratings. You can download most FJR Owners Manuals on the Internet for free.

Fuse Taps:

https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/1269703-post1.html

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 04:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always connect my Zumo directly to the battery, because it is a complete pain in the ass if your GPS switches off every time you stop during a ride. Then the GPS has to boot up and re-connect to your BlueTooth devices every time. I always remove the GPS from the bike during over night stops, or when parked at home, so there is no danger of the bike's battery going flat, or the unit getting stolen.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 05:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
I always connect my Zumo directly to the battery, because it is a complete pain in the ass if your GPS switches off every time you stop during a ride. Then the GPS has to boot up and re-connect to your BlueTooth devices every time. I always remove the GPS from the bike during over night stops, or when parked at home, so there is no danger of the bike's battery going flat, or the unit getting stolen.
^^ This, 100%. It is a total PITA having your gps go off at each and every stop. I wired mine directly to the battery just for that reason.
Sete Bond likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 07:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have my 590 wired into the front running lights..(Posi-tap). The lines that come with it DO have a fuse included.

I WANT it to go off when I turn the bike off. Should I go in a store, (or away from the bike for any lengthy time), I don't want it lit up, asked to be stolen...

If I don't want it turned off for any reason, you push the button that's comes on asking "to leave it on" (when it gives you 10 seconds shutting down)..

As for re-boot, mine boots up before I leave the driveway and isn't an issue.

FastPappy, Madmudder and blast like this.

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 08:07 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I disconnected my glove box lock solenoid and wired my Zumo to its wiring.
I rarely keep anything of value in it and have been inconvenienced more than once by having to dig my keys out of my jacket to grab something I left in it, so I dont mind it not being locked, thats what bags are for.
2GENAE likes this.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 09:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I used the wire to the charging receptacle in the glove compartment for my Garmin 396. It's a switched wire and has enough gumption for the GPS. I park the bike indoors, so I just leave the Garmin on it while parked. For that reason I want it to go off and on with the switch. It goes off a few seconds after I kill the switch unless I tell it not to. Then it comes back on next time I turn the ignition back on and picks up right where it left off. I've put 3000 mile trips in it, and it never misses a beat.
TownsendsFJR1300 and 2GENAE like this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 11:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My 590 is on all the time, wired into my aux. fuse box to manage all my aux. devices. When certain BT connections rely on which order they are powered up (headsets... BT is flaky), best leave it on. I do shut it off when home for the day, or take it out of the cradle.
Previous GPS would get all confused if booted up with ignition switched power, solved by always on.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page