2008 FJR1300 Poor Gas Mileage - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-07-2021, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

2008 FJR1300 Poor Gas Mileage

Part 1

Had the bike in the shop for a throttle body sync and new spark plugs.
After I picked it up and parked it in the garage, I smelt gas vapors on the left side of the bike where the vent and overflow hoses come out of the tank.
Took it back to the dealership and they checked the gas tank and everything attached to it. No leaks of any kind where detected.
I suspect that I had overfilled the gas tank a day or so before I dropped off the bike at the shop, and there was some gas trapped in the canister. The smell of gas eventually subsided, and within a couple of days it had disappeared completely.

Part 2
Over the last two fill-ups I noticed that the average gas mileage has decreased from 39.9 mpg to about 34.9- 35.7mpg. I am using 87 regular, Shell gas.
I am aware that living in California we get summer blend and winter blend, and because of that the mpg is supposed do drop some during the winter months.
Would that explain it, or do you guys think that may be something else causing this problem? The bike runs very strong, and it starts right away with no hesitation.
Tire pressure at 40psi front and 42psi rear.

Any input is appreciated!

Last edited by calboy; 01-08-2021 at 01:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 04:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

I think youíre worrying over nothing. The slight difference between your avg mpg numbers is nothing to worry about. Maybe your riding style and conditions varied slightly.

FWIW, I only get about 28-30 mpg on average. But I use the twisty loud handle a lot!
skippy344!, WmjP and 2GENAE like this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 08:12 AM
Farkle Trainee

I also have a 2008. A few years ago when I started getting noticeably bad mileage, I eventually traced it to a hole in a vacuum hose. The engine was running pretty rough at low idle as well.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 08:30 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Your mileage may be a bit lower if the ambient weather is generally cooler these days. Also, if you use the bike's fuel mileage indicator, it is not as accurate as manual calculation based on actual fuel used/miles travelled. If you are doing shorter runs vs. longer trips, your mileage won't be as good. And some days you'll find you get better mileage in 4th rather than 5th (engine under load if cruising rpm is not high enough). But I don't see anything unusual..... track it over a year and see what the mileage is over many conditions.
OR, you could just forget it altogether like I do.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 09:32 AM
Farkle Trainee

As a 2008 FJR owner, I would say that mileage is abnormal for general riding. I usually get in the mid 40's even in the winter. A 5 mpg drop would indicate to me that something isn't quite right. Like JB said, check for vacuum leaks. I've had to replace the sync nipple caps for cracking and leaking on mine a couple times. Also, they may have done a crap job on the sync.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 09:54 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

What gitbox said ! Check the vacuum port nipple caps, being that they just did a TBS one of them may be either missing or cracked & leaking. The oe caps are fairly brittle that way.

But Iíll add that the mileage on my 14a varies a bunch depending on the right hand, my 14a by the display (not all that accurate !) fron 34 to 46 mpg. The FJR is very sensitive to throttle use !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thank you for all the replies.
I'm going to take off the tank and check all the vacuum caps. I have some Viton caps I ordered for my Valkyrie and they will come in handy.
Polar likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 05:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We had winter and summer blends of gas here too. My gas mileage always dropped off 2 or 3 mpg in the winter. Car, truck, bike- makes no difference. Always happened.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-08-2021, 11:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Having run a diesel truck as my secondary/hunting vehicle for a number of years, I always have noticed that no matter my driving habits, my fuel mileage is always less in the cooler/cold weather. Cold air does not contain as many calories (of heat) as hot air and therefore, it takes more fuel to make up the difference. Or, so I have read...
RaYzerman likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2021, 10:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ride more. Worry less.

Problem solved.
hjarmitage, passx and WmjP like this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page