INJECTOR Cleaning made simple and works - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

INJECTOR Cleaning made simple and works

I had posted elsewhere I picked up a 2009 AE with under 5k miles , Actually under 4k. It had idle issues and would die sometimes when cold and twisting throttle.. 1st thought throttle body sync. That did little to resolve anything. Then found 2 bad spark plug caps that could only have been damaged by servicing. _I did not cause this damage. Resolved the caps and this avoided the die issue. Thus it was only the injectors left. And since the tank and fuel hose are so easily disconnected I decided to disconnect fuel line at the rail, suck out the fuel from the rail using clean thin hose and mighty-vac. I then connected a 5/16( or can be done with 1/4") vinyl fuel rated hose to rail & then filled the hose with Berryman's and Techron mixture. Rail will only hold a couple oz. I disconnected the wires to the fuel pump. Then hit the starter button. This causes the injectors to open. Now the cleaning mixture has time to sit and clean. And if needed add more cleaner to hose. I then connected the wires , fuel hose to rail and hit the starter button. Obviously it will not start. Then on the 4th try it limps along. I did this series repeatedly 5 or so times, with mostly Berryman's and just a little of the techron. The 50psi fuel pushing on the mixture does the trick. I of course gassed it a few times to increase the EFI open time and to confirm the improvement. The Bike Now IDLES MOSTLY AS IT SHOULD . I can hear only a slight change in idle but so slight it does not show on the tach. Previously it made my cold AE not so smooth leaving a stop. No such issues now. And the drivability is wonderful. Don't bother throwing cleaner in your fuel supply, if you need a true cleaning, try this. ...cheers. Sorry for tilted pic.
I have other minor things. But I won't bother you for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR EFI clean IMG_1281.jpg (251.8 KB, 54 views)
TownsendsFJR1300 and 2GENAE like this.

the-fix 2009AE

Last edited by jasonm.; 11-29-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-22-2020, 08:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

A couple of things.... you can fire the injectors from the diagnostics screen, check the FSM. Your method is great. I would think this is ok for a bike with basically no miles, has been sitting, injectors have simply gummed up. Nice to see it fixed your idling problem.
High miler FJR's would perhaps have harder build-ups and in that case, it would perhaps be a better thing to take the injectors to a cleaning service, and they will also give you a flow report to verify all have a very similar flow rate and spray pattern. No harm in trying the quick method anyway, but full cleaning would assure you of full flow.
Also of interest, there are new filter screens and o-rings available relatively cheap, same injector family used on Yamaha F150 outboard motors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-INJECT...item3fc485a9b4

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-23-2020, 02:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I would have just taken them out and have MrInjector clean them, but you did save a bit of $$$ and got results so that's good. As RaYzerman says 5,000 miles would result in gummed up injectors. Now you can really put on the miles.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

I did say after touching the starter to get the mixture in , it has time to sit to work it's way in. Berryman's is very strong and can dry some o-rings in old fuel systems aka pre-EFI and to be safe it only sat for 2 - 3 minutes in rail a few times. Fact- If this is done when engine is stone cold the injectors are open longer to truly flush the crap out. I believe using the diagnostics to open injectors does not necessarily fire the spark. I wanted the spark plugs to fire. This process is something that can easily be done once a year. Takes less than 30 minutes. I will surely do it again. Just wish I had thought of this before when I FIRST purchased bike. I only have 1 more minor issue I will post later. -Cheers-

the-fix 2009AE
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 09:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I just run Lucas cleaner regularly every 3rd or 4th tank in most everything and as part of my “pickle juice” for the winter sleep. But might be an option for something that’s sat for a long time w/o being properly prepped.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

Good show. Last time I had my tank off I pulled the injectors out of the throttle body and ran them through the sonic cleaner. We let it go through two ten minute cycles. Worked a treat!! 38k.
bounce and cra-z1 like this.

'04 FJR1300
ZRX
KLR
KZ
Z1-R
LTD
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Question

My idle is much better but not yet perfect. And having the same bike for 31 years. I am a little familiar with EFI. I know the theory . Yes, I have had the tank off & I see the injectors and rail and have the manual. I guess the injectors come off with the rail, I guess I would need the "o-rings" for rail and seat rings for throttle bodies where they sit ? How easy is it to screw things up or not ?

the-fix 2009AE
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 05:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Very likely all the o-rings can be re-used. A little silicone grease smear wouldn't hurt, but there is that kit I mentioned should you want new o-rings.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

that kit...your 100% sure that's the same injector 5JW-13761-10-00 as my 2009 ? or is that just the o-rings and filter $17 made where ? Obviously someone makes the injectors for Yamaha, who? Nippon makes them...in Japan

Last edited by jasonm.; 11-29-2020 at 09:52 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-28-2020, 09:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

use this every once in a while..or ven every tank ..Approved by the forum at www.bobistheoilguy .. I have been using it for years in my vehicles

https://www.lubecontrol.com/products...gasoline-quart $23 will treat 320 gallons

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page