does it work? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

does it work?

so recently my fjr has developed some breaking up my guess is that the injectors are clogged i've tried to clean them before when i was building the bike putting some pressurized carb cleaner through it while giving them power they did spray but im not sure if they sprayed correctly eitherway they weren't plugged so i put them in. since bosch cdh-275 injectors aren't easy to find except for china i was wondering if it is worth it to put any kind of injector cleaner in it or not i know some people swear by fuel additives i've never tried them. if that won't solve the issue sparkplugs might be next and maybe check coil packs if anyone has any other possible do tell.

what kind of fuel additives do you guys use?

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 10:07 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Lucas Fuel injector cleaner is a great product. I've used it for years with great results in my previous bikes. I use it now in the FJR as a preventative.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-t...fuel-treatment
maximrebel, passx and hANNAbONE like this.

Ducit amor patriae
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:03 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I try to run a dose if the Lucas Cleaner through my stuff every 3-4 tankfuls, big Lucas fan. That said, a lot of people are Seafoam fans which I believe is a more aggressive cleaner than the Lucas. The only thing I would add is that I personally would not store anything with it because I have had trouble multiple times with the fuel turning to a really hard to remove green jello throughout the fuel system.

That said, I mix up a cocktail pickle juice for storage that is Stabil, Marvel Mystery Oul & usually the Lucas fuel system cleaner and have never had any issue until I substituted the Seafoam for the Lucas,,,, resulting in the green jello. So it may just be a chemical reaction in my pickle juice, but I’ve never seen it with anything but when I used Seafoam.

So I’d have no issue in using just Seafoam so long as it’s not stored with it in the tank, and as said above run some kind of fuel cleaner for several tanks to see if that helps, and I’d recommend using something that’s rated for removing water which being your bike has obviously sat a bit is a possibility, maybe something like Heet. Also a set of spark-lugs won’t hurt and are a relatively inexpensive thing, but I suspect water in the fuel but new plugs certainly can’t hurt.

If an additive doesn’t improve things then you may have to remove the injectors and send them to someone who specializes in rebuilding & balancing injectors, hopefully somebody with some experience on that can weigh in... personally I think fuel additive/cleaner over a couple of tanks of fuel will probably sort things out. Keep us posted on how it goes.
maximrebel, hANNAbONE and hipi111 like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 10-24-2020 at 11:08 AM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

thanks for the info im looking into getting some fuel additive problem is that i can't find any of the popular USA brands like lucas not for a reasonable price anyways. there are a lot of products but i have no clue what to look for in them since i've never used any before. as for the water it's definitely possible with the fuel you get nowa days

if anyone from the EU has a brand of additive they swear by please let me know

edit: found some lucas so i'll be trying that once it arrives

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a

Last edited by hipi111; 10-24-2020 at 11:50 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

First off, whatever product you find, Google for the MSDS and it will at least tell you the main components. Seafoam is mild... naptha and isopropanol, mix your own if you like. No problem storing with it in fuel as it acts as a stabilizer. Naptha slowly dissolves gums while the isopropanol takes care of water.
Injector cleaners are usually stonger. Most are again naptha, but add harsher solvents like benzine or such. Naptha for the gums, harsh chemical for harder stuff.
Rather than go through all that thinking you are instantly cleaning injectors, and if you suspect injectors (you know you can pull them and cycle them through the diagnostic screen, yes?) spray pattern is different than the others.... you are better off sending them to a cleaning service who will clean them and give you a flow report. Check locally, should be easy to find a place that does it. Here it would be less than $150 for that.
No need to buy new injectors as long as the solenoids are cycling OK. There are screen & o-ring kits available if you're interested.... used on Yamaha outboard motors.
You may have other things going on with that older FJR. Spark plug wires ...remove the adapters, trim 1/4" off the end of the wire and reinstall. Check the resistance of each adapter, let us know.. you can check coil resistance also.....
Check the MAP sensor vacuum nipple and hose are not clogged.
Keep us posted.
cra-z1 and hANNAbONE like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 08:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifterkart26 View Post
Lucas Fuel injector cleaner is a great product. I've used it for years with great results in my previous bikes. I use it now in the FJR as a preventative.

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-t...fuel-treatment
I have been using this for many years for both my cars and motorcycles.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 09:32 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sven, you might want to search this site for Throttle Position Sensors as well. I fought a stutter just off idle for months, and the dealer even said it couldn't possibly be the TPS because it didn't throw a code. But finally, out of desperation, I replaced the TPS, and the problem went away.

With that said, I do have a Gen III, so it may not be a likelihood on yours.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Sven, you might want to search this site for Throttle Position Sensors as well. I fought a stutter just off idle for months, and the dealer even said it couldn't possibly be the TPS because it didn't throw a code. But finally, out of desperation, I replaced the TPS, and the problem went away.

With that said, I do have a Gen III, so it may not be a likelihood on yours.
the tps is fine im 100% sure that that isn't the issue while building the bike i set it and how the break ups are happening it doesn't feel like tps more feels like one cylinder suddenly loses power maybe fuel starvation or no ignition

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
First off, whatever product you find, Google for the MSDS and it will at least tell you the main components. Seafoam is mild... naptha and isopropanol, mix your own if you like. No problem storing with it in fuel as it acts as a stabilizer. Naptha slowly dissolves gums while the isopropanol takes care of water.
Injector cleaners are usually stonger. Most are again naptha, but add harsher solvents like benzine or such. Naptha for the gums, harsh chemical for harder stuff.
Rather than go through all that thinking you are instantly cleaning injectors, and if you suspect injectors (you know you can pull them and cycle them through the diagnostic screen, yes?) spray pattern is different than the others.... you are better off sending them to a cleaning service who will clean them and give you a flow report. Check locally, should be easy to find a place that does it. Here it would be less than $150 for that.
No need to buy new injectors as long as the solenoids are cycling OK. There are screen & o-ring kits available if you're interested.... used on Yamaha outboard motors.
You may have other things going on with that older FJR. Spark plug wires ...remove the adapters, trim 1/4" off the end of the wire and reinstall. Check the resistance of each adapter, let us know.. you can check coil resistance also.....
Check the MAP sensor vacuum nipple and hose are not clogged.
Keep us posted.
does the first gen have a injector check in the diag screen? i didn't know that i'll have to check which code that is and give it a go. the reason why i would buy new injectors over having them professionally cleaned or tested is just bc its cheaper to buy new ones then going through all that. for now im going to try the lucas for a couple tanks and see if that clears things up if not im going to put in new spark plugs and trim the wires and measure coil packs see if something is up with that i think thats all i can do for now in the next week the lucas will arrive and depending on the weather i'll do a tour get a gas tank or 2 through the injectors
cheers for all the info guys

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't know where you can buy new injectors cheaper than having them professionally cleaned. The odds are the injectors aren't the issue as I don't know of any FJR guy that had clogged ones. But, if the bike sat for years, it wouldn't hurt at all to run injector cleaner through them, or have them cleaned if you've exhausted other possibilities of the issue you're having..
Going straight to "new injectors" is throwing money at a problem and the cause may not be that. I'd rather spend time and little money on other things first.
Partzilla price for new injectors is ~U$130 each. Times 4.
bounce, rbentnail and cra-z1 like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page