Had tires changed, now brake light sticks and cruise is disabled. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Angry Had tires changed, now brake light sticks and cruise is disabled.

I had both the front and rear tire changed at a local shop. No, not a Yamaha dealer, just a shop. When I picked it up the ABS light was blinking and then went off, so I thought I was good. I grabbed some chow and when I started up the bike it was blinking again before finally shutting off. This morning I fired up the bike and the ABS light was solid for a few feet and then shut off like it always did before. No blinking. Tonight I went for a ride after work and realized my cruise control was not working. The CC indicator light was blinking. I realized that my brake light was staying in the on position. I'm positive that is the issue with CC. So when I stopped and got off the bike I found the switch was working fine again. Strange, but poo happens. I got on the bike and used the cruise for about 8 miles before I had to hit the brake. The CC light started blinking again. I get home and the light is stuck on.

This evening when it was dark I went back out and messed with the brakes. Both the front and the back will cause the brake light to stay lit, but not every press or pull. My question is whether or not the folks who changed my tires could have damaged something to make that happen? I mean, it didn't do that before I dropped it off for those to be changed. I'm at a bit of a loss, and any tips would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:40 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Had tires changed, now brake light sticks and cruise is disabled.

Later2day,

Sounds like the rear brake lever pivot is grungy. Clean and lube the pivot. It's just normal maintenance, on these bikes. The rear brake lever should come back up freely. Same goes for the front brake; clean and lube the bushing that presses the rod into the front master cylinder. If it is worn or deformed, get a new bushing. See pix. Also clean and lube the front brake lever pivot. The front brake light switch there can also get dirty/sticky, so clean that if needed.

Those things can make the brake light stay on, which disables the cruise control.

Keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bronze Bushing.jpg (74.2 KB, 9 views)

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Doubtful a tire change would have anything to do with brake lights.... is your rear brake pedal sticking.. must be able to return to rest freely. Front brake switch (and clutch) need attention with some contact cleaner spray to keep the plungers freely moving...

Edit, I see red beat me to it.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 03:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Later2day,

Sounds like the rear brake lever pivot is grungy. Clean and lube the pivot. It's just normal maintenance, on these bikes. The rear brake lever should come back up freely. Same goes for the front brake; clean and lube the bushing that presses the rod into the front master cylinder. If it is worn or deformed, get a new bushing. See pix. Also clean and lube the front brake lever pivot. The front brake light switch there can also get dirty/sticky, so clean that if needed.

Those things can make the brake light stay on, which disables the cruise control.

Keep us posted.
Sorry red but the bushings you picture & describe are for the clutch lever. The brake lever has no such animal.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 03:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

They jacked up a sensor or a ring. Perhaps didnít reinstall a wheel properly. Take it and have it checked.

There are several fairly mundane things that can cause this, but none of them would normally manifest following a tire change.
passx and mattemike like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The Gen3/4 bike manuals have explicit warnings about keeping anything magnetic away from the wheel sensors. Too bad ODB won't help on these bikes...

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Iíll go ahead and get after those sensors. It just strikes me as really odd that it would happen immediately after the tire change. Even stranger is that both the front and rear brake will cause the brake lite to intermittently stay on. Iíll update after I get after the maintenance. ...Thanks.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 10:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Why wonít odb help?

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 11:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Codes sometimes don't show for those CC issues, unless there's a fault that stays active long enough for the ECU to think it's worth storing.... really here we seem to have a brake light switch or relay issue... not gonna be a code for that I don't think.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

OK,I took the front brake lever off of the bike,cleaned out the cup, and the switch. The switch button was dirty, and it is no longer. I hung a bag off the back so I could see when the brake light was engaged and when it was not. After squeezing the brake lever probably 50 times the brake light didn't stay on. I then took a peek at the rear brake. That was actually pretty nice, and I don't know why it was making the brake light stick yesterday. Suffice it to say, the issue has not repeated itself today since I cleaned the front brake lever and switch.

120 miles of riding later and still no repeat of the failure. Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, I greatly appreciated it. Oh, and I love the new Michelin Road 5 GT's I had put on her. Super solid in the twisties!
maximrebel and RobertO2016 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page