• 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By JohnC
  • 1 Post By Damir
  • 1 Post By JohnC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Heated grips not working

Have a 2016 fjr 1300 es model , the heated grips were working perfectly and was surprised @ how hot they got ,have not used them over the last two weeks ,today went for a ride where it got down to 2 deg c (34 deg f ) turned the heated grips on and found they are not working ,got back home with some cold fingers and attempted to reset and change the heat level but still to no avail ,checked the owners manual to see if there is a fuse for the grips but found none listed ,just wandering if anyone has had the problem & if there is a fuse for this circuit .
Thx,Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As on all OEM FJR's the heated grips are wired in series, so if one grip fails or there is a broken wire or bad ground, they both will not work.
On the '16, the ECU supplies power to the left grip (yellow/red wire), then out to the right grip via a yellow wire, then a black wire to ground.

First thing to do is locate the connectors for each grip and measure the resistance of each grip. Should be 1.1-1.4 ohms. If both are good, then check the black ground wire has continuity.
If one grip were to fail, I'd guess it would be the right one, as the wire goes into the right throttle cable housing and has to flex as you turn the throttle. But, let us know what you find.
trini67pablo likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

So far I have opened the throttle case to check the heated grip wire was not crimped or bent ,also checked the wires in the harness around the steering head to make sure they weren't crimped as I had recently installed a helibars risers ,found nothing to indicate that a wire was crimped or bent ,so as far as I understand there is no fuse in the circuit and it's controlled by an ecu ,just wandering could the ecu be faulty & is it replacable ,also where is it located .

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:20 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trini67pablo View Post
. . . so as far as I understand there is no fuse in the circuit and it's controlled by an ecu ,just wandering could the ecu be faulty & is it replacable ,also where is it located .

Unlikely that only the tiny portion of the ECU that controls the heated grips failed, but if it did, an ES ECU, well, any ECU, is going to be expensive.

I redrew the wiring diagrams for my 2013A on 11X17 sheets in color. Except for suspension, lighting, and gear shifting, most of the wiring is the same. Grip warmers are on page 7. It's a pretty simple circuit physically. The ECU does all the heavy lifting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FJR Electrical Diagram 2013A-2015A.pdf (4.70 MB, 34 views)
justacrossthehill likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:25 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Heated grips not working

Is the wire from the ECU showing power coming to the heated grips?
Do the the heated grips show the correct continuity readings at their plugs?
Is the ground wire well-connected to ground?

It may be possible that the ECU is not doing its' thing there, but that problem is not likely. Wire problems are the most likely, or maybe you have a bad grip. You need to measure those readings; looking usually will not see the problem. Each grip should show some resistance that you can measure with a Digital Multi-meter, across each grip and between the two (they are wired in series). IF the ECU really did fail there, you could power the grips with a pulse-width controller, which is the standard control gadget for most heated grips or heated clothing. The controller would be much cheaper than an ECU. A complete kit for heated grips with the controller would also be a cheaper option than buying one OEM replacement grip.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 01:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Unlikely that only the tiny portion of the ECU that controls the heated grips failed, but if it did, an ES ECU, well, any ECU, is going to be expensive.

I redrew the wiring diagrams for my 2013A on 11X17 sheets in color. Except for suspension, lighting, and gear shifting, most of the wiring is the same. Grip warmers are on page 7. It's a pretty simple circuit physically. The ECU does all the heavy lifting.
John, Thx for sharing your version of FJR diagrams, you did a great job in Visio, that's a lot of work man, like a month worth (or more)?
Way8lifter likes this.

"If FJR and VStrom 650XT don't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 FJR/ES
2018 VStrom 650XT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2020, 03:54 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

DropBox link for the 2016 A & ES models below. Chapter 8 has a Grip Warmer section, may be helpful.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcqqyrnmpe...anual.pdf?dl=0

Russ
2007A

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thx for the responses with alot of information as this will help when ????? I get around to try and troubleshoot the cause ,like all mechanical & electrical troubleshooting it's a process of elimination & always best to gather as much info & look for the easiest & most obvious causes which lead to the problem before getting into the more time consuming & difficult process , ie stepping into the unknown ,once I have found the problem I will definitely update .

Thx ,Trini67
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
John, Thx for sharing your version of FJR diagrams, you did a great job in Visio, that's a lot of work man, like a month worth (or more)?
Sort of. Version 1.0 was in 2015. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to do it. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to draw the multi-colored lines. And it took a while for me to build a library of primitives and-not-so primitives such as connector blocks, switches, relays, and more complex ones such as the ECU and instrument panel.

Hey, Russ. The dropbox version is the first ETM that I have seen where the color labels are clear. Is it possible for me to download a copy? I wouldn't mind starting on a version for the 2016 - FJRs.
Damir likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:

Last edited by JohnC; 10-19-2020 at 02:58 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 09:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Sort of. Version 1.0 was in 2015. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to do it. Took a while to figure out how I wanted to draw the multi-colored lines. And it took a while for me to build a library of primitives and-not-so primitives such as connector blocks, switches, relays, and more complex ones such as the ECU and instrument panel.

Hey, Russ. The dropbox version is the ETM that I have seen where the color labels are clear. It it possible for me to download a copy? I wouldn't mind starting on a version for the 2016 - FJRs.
You should be able to download from that Dropbox link.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page