Tire slipping in corners. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Tire slipping in corners.

I have a new set of Dunlop sport max roadsmart 2 with right around 1000 miles on them. After returning from the hoon ride I have noticed when I turn aggressively, for me anyway, to the left I feel what seems to be a bit of slipping going on. I didn’t notice this at all during our ride out in Arkansas. The tires are fresh as far as a manufacturer date goes. (20) I’ll attach a pic of the tires in case that helps.

After my ride yesterday I let the tires cool down 2-3hours, the rear was sitting at 34psi, which is lower than I normally run at 40psi.

Would the lower than normal, for me anyway, psi make that much difference? Also seems odd that it only occurs when turning left.

Gen 1, 51,000 miles.

Not really looking to turn this into a tire thread. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AF9266C-7AF9-4D1C-B6D1-AD1E5D2BB7EC_1602685068323.jpg (142.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1049082A-FF57-4DCB-94F4-91576ABB2819_1602685107409.jpg (114.5 KB, 34 views)

Maintain universal balance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Ask about tires but don't want a tire thread?
Guess you haven't been on this new thing they call forums.
Lower tire pressure will increase your contact patch which will increase your grip.
Perhaps your body form is off. Transfer more of your weight inside the corner to keep the bike a bit more upright. Perhaps your powering out of the corner a bit too soon or too hard.
Maybe your rebound is set too slow.
Compression too hard?
sparkie likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles bike=miles
smiles miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Very nice "chicken Strip!"

Yeah, being that low, on these lo-pro radials, may give you the feel of a little scooch. But rest assured, unless there was foreign material on the surface, like oil, antifreeze, or sand, it was probably just the lower pressure giving a bigger patch print, on the surface, involving both tire compounds, at the same time, giving you that sensation.

But, I could be wrong! LOL
Redfish likes this.

'06 FJR1300A - Orion the Hunter

Greg

Old Corral

1977 Yamaha YZ-80 - Dirty Girl
1978 Yamaha YZ-125 - Dirt in the Shirt
1976 Yamaha XS500 - Old Blue
1980 Yamaha XS850SG - Twisted Triple or "TT"
1980 Yamaha XS11SG - Scorpion
1998 Kawasaki Voyager XII - Kermit

Family Member bikes
1982 Yamaha XJ650J - Whole Lotta Rosie
1982 Yamaha Virago 750 - "V"
2007 Honda CBR600RR - Holy S&!T
2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S - Tiny Spock

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks for the responses.
skippy344! likes this.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:42 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Tire slipping in corners.

Benhameen,

If it was my bike, I would want to center-stand the bike, and check that each wheel/tire runs true (no wobble when rotating). That's easy for the rear, but you will need assistants to hold the front wheel up when the bike is on the center stand, while you check that one.

If that much looks good, it may be worthwhile to re-check the wheel balancing. You may have lost a weight or two, or tire wear could be the source of an imbalance. When did the "slipping" problem start?

If suspension science is a minor mystery right now, just have a bike speed shop (usually not a dealership) check and maybe adjust your suspension settings. You may need an upgrade on the suspension system, but I'd leave that call to the experts (and maybe more than one) before spending money. At 51k miles, your rear shock may need help. Age or dirt, as well as miles, can degrade a shock. Some FJRs have a plate to protect the rear shock from road grime, which you may be able to retro-fit there.

Beyond that, bearing or bushings in the relay arm or swing arm maybe at fault, but that's not very likely, for that mileage.

Keep us posted.
bounce likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm thinking, at that low a tire pressure, that your tire is doing a sideways roll or deformation under load. The tire may not be stiff enough at low pressure. This, only if you experience a very short quick throw to the side. Not slipping, but bike moving sideways due to tire deformation. If you're slipping several inches, then that's a different story.
skippy344! and Redfish like this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 12:16 PM
FJR Top Gun

Low tire pressure increases the contact patch size which increases traction IN THE DRY.
In wet conditions the larger tire contact actually decreases traction because the lbs/per inch is less allowing the tire to float on the water instead of pushing through it to the road surface.

That in addition to the squirmy feeling from lower pressure and you could easily be unnerved by it.
bounce and skippy344! like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Ask about tires but don't want a tire thread?
Guess you haven't been on this new thing they call forums.
Lower tire pressure will increase your contact patch which will increase your grip.
Perhaps your body form is off. Transfer more of your weight inside the corner to keep the bike a bit more upright. Perhaps your powering out of the corner a bit too soon or too hard.
Maybe your rebound is set too slow.
Compression too hard?
Could be that I’m powering out of the corner too soon and to hard but didn’t feel any of this on the hoon ride. The riding was more aggressive then what I do locally. My riding position is the same leaning both ways and this only happens on the a left hand turn.
Thanks.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy344! View Post
Very nice "chicken Strip!"

Yeah, being that low, on these lo-pro radials, may give you the feel of a little scooch. But rest assured, unless there was foreign material on the surface, like oil, antifreeze, or sand, it was probably just the lower pressure giving a bigger patch print, on the surface, involving both tire compounds, at the same time, giving you that sensation.

But, I could be wrong! LOL
Nothing foreign on the tires or the road surface from what I could tell. It happened in a few different locations. I’ll be increasing the pressure for sure.
Thanks
skippy344! likes this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John d View Post
I'm thinking, at that low a tire pressure, that your tire is doing a sideways roll or deformation under load. The tire may not be stiff enough at low pressure. This, only if you experience a very short quick throw to the side. Not slipping, but bike moving sideways due to tire deformation. If you're slipping several inches, then that's a different story.
It feels like slipping but that doesn’t mean it’s not something else due to the low psi. I’ll be increase as said, ASAP.
Thanks
skippy344! likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page