Tire slipping in corners. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
Benhameen,

If it was my bike, I would want to center-stand the bike, and check that each wheel/tire runs true (no wobble when rotating). That's easy for the rear, but you will need assistants to hold the front wheel up when the bike is on the center stand, while you check that one.

If that much looks good, it may be worthwhile to re-check the wheel balancing. You may have lost a weight or two, or tire wear could be the source of an imbalance. When did the "slipping" problem start?

If suspension science is a minor mystery right now, just have a bike speed shop (usually not a dealership) check and maybe adjust your suspension settings. You may need an upgrade on the suspension system, but I'd leave that call to the experts (and maybe more than one) before spending money. At 51k miles, your rear shock may need help. Age or dirt, as well as miles, can degrade a shock. Some FJRs have a plate to protect the rear shock from road grime, which you may be able to retro-fit there.

Beyond that, bearing or bushings in the relay arm or swing arm maybe at fault, but that's not very likely, for that mileage.

Keep us posted.
Just started this week after a 1000 mile trip.

Wheel/tires run true, checked them last night. I’ll double check too see if any of the weights came off as well.
Suspension is not my strong suit and I would venture to guess that it needs serviced. Have been thinking about replacing with a gen 3 shock.ive noticed a little harshness in it from time too time. I do have the plastic flap protecting shock from road debris.

Bearings came too mind.

I’m about to head over to some property I have to mow. I’ll increase the psi and see if that makes any difference. There’s a round about in the middle of nowhere that I can lean her left and much as I want on the way. Lol.

Thanks for the responses, I’ll post back if that makes any difference.

Maintain universal balance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:21 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Tire slipping in corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhameen View Post
Just started this week after a 1000 mile trip.

Wheel/tires run true, checked them last night. Iíll double check too see if any of the weights came off as well.
Bearings came too mind.
Iíll increase the psi and see if that makes any difference. Thereís a round about in the middle of nowhere that I can lean her left and much as I want on the way. Lol.
Thanks for the responses, Iíll post back if that makes any difference.
Benhameen,

What kinda bothers me here is the one-sided nature of the fault. As unlikely as it may be, I would check the wheels thoroughly for any cracking in the metal, especially near the hubs. Hit anything stubborn, lately?

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John d View Post
I'm thinking, at that low a tire pressure, that your tire is doing a sideways roll or deformation under load. The tire may not be stiff enough at low pressure. This, only if you experience a very short quick throw to the side. Not slipping, but bike moving sideways due to tire deformation. If you're slipping several inches, then that's a different story.
I am in complete agreement here. I think this is amplified by the fact that you are running tires designed for a SportBike that would weigh a couple hundred pounds less than your FJR. If you are carrying luggage and adding even more weight, these tires are probably "squishing" pretty good. Are you carrying more luggage on the bike now than you were when you were pushing it hard? That can affect the tire's profile as well.

I have no answer for the "only during left turns" situation.

Good luck.
bounce likes this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I did hit a few hard bumps on the way back from Arkansas but I wouldn’t think it would have been hard enough to cause damage. I’ll give the wheels a look though, thanks.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I did add the correct PSI and hit the round about and didn’t notice the “slippage”. I should have time to ride a little more spirited over the next few days and I’ll report back. Thanks

post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John d View Post
I'm thinking, at that low a tire pressure, that your tire is doing a sideways roll or deformation under load. The tire may not be stiff enough at low pressure. This, only if you experience a very short quick throw to the side. Not slipping, but bike moving sideways due to tire deformation. If you're slipping several inches, then that's a different story.
I am in complete agreement here. I think this is amplified by the fact that you are running tires designed for a SportBike that would weigh a couple hundred pounds less than your FJR. If you are carrying luggage and adding even more weight, these tires are probably "squishing" pretty good. Are you carrying more luggage on the bike now than you were when you were pushing it hard? That can affect the tire's profile as well.

I have no answer for the "only during left turns" situation.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I do have about ten pounds in each side bag but that’s about what I would normally carry.

Not sure why they would advertise the sport max as a sport touring tire if they were designed for sport bikes only.

From the Dunlop website.
Designed to offer versatile Sport-Touring performance at an affordable price.

There was no issues what so ever on the spirited hoon ride.

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm just going to say that Dunflops have never been the grippiest as they use harder compounds than others. I have mentioned previously (not only my opinion) that they are OK in the summer, but spring and fall, or wet, be less aggressive. Roadsmart3 is better but after trying a couple of sets, I won't use them again. If you hear folks talking about their longest lasting tires, you know the compounds are harder. I'd say get stickier rubber next time if you want to have playtime...
I don't see anything wrong with the wear pattern, etc...
bounce likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Hi Ben,

Not sure on the tire slip but low(er) air pressure can cause weird symptoms. And....uneven tire wear....once that happens....it really doesn’t go away totally because the “damage” has already been done. The tire may be wearing in evenly now and will feel different as you change / adjust air pressure.

Not sure if you noticed in the parking lot but I have an Ohlins rear suspension and a Racetech front end. Those might be a good choice for suspension but not cheap. Then again, my 2009 has a great suspension setup since 2011 so I think the return on investment has paid off at 62,000 miles. My previous 3 FJR’s had similar mileage and the Ohlins runs like new and is one of the reasons that I keep the 09. The new ES models are tempting though.

I’m not in the caliber of the “seasoned” HoonGP free range riders (Hooligans)......but maybe, just maybe......you are more in tune with your bike after riding with them ?

Oh.....and stop turning left......problem solved !!!

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

“ wearing in evenly” = “ wearing un-evenly”

If it has two wheels or a mainsail - I will pilot it.
Boof
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhameen View Post
I have a new set of Dunlop sport max roadsmart 2 with right around 1000 miles on them. After returning from the hoon ride I have noticed when I turn aggressively, for me anyway, to the left I feel what seems to be a bit of slipping going on. I didnít notice this at all during our ride out in Arkansas. The tires are fresh as far as a manufacturer date goes. (20) Iíll attach a pic of the tires in case that helps.

After my ride yesterday I let the tires cool down 2-3hours, the rear was sitting at 34psi, which is lower than I normally run at 40psi.

Would the lower than normal, for me anyway, psi make that much difference? Also seems odd that it only occurs when turning left.

Gen 1, 51,000 miles.

Not really looking to turn this into a tire thread. Thanks.
Two things I've personally experienced with that same scenario, are too little pressure, and tire being old. In your case it's pressure 100% in my opinion. I experimented with tire pressures a bit when I first got my FJR a few months ago, and I found anything less than 40 psi in the rear and it felt like it would slide out on me...even just doing basic street maneuvers. 34psi is 100% the problem. Check for leaks or punctures on that bad boy too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page