2019 Suspension replace/upgrade - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

2019 Suspension replace/upgrade

Hi,

The 2019 now has over 20,000 hard Bay Area miles on it and its starting to get a bit clapped out. Any suggestions? Ohlin doesn't list anything for the 2019? I guess I can get a new stock rear shock and change the fork oil. Anything better?

Cheers

Kris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 05:12 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Something is quite wrong if it feels any different than it did new at that mileage. I might change the oil in an A, but, to be frank, I haven’t serviced the suspension innards on either of my FJR’s and they both continued to function very well as the miles piled up.

My 2014 suspension (A model) still performed superbly at over 85,000 miles of hard use.

My current 2018 ES functions as well at 50,000+ miles as it did new.
Bernie and hANNAbONE like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 10-05-2020 at 05:14 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 06:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Exclamation

...Wilbers...

https://www.wilbersusa.com/
BlueRider likes this.

hANNAbONE
Versailles, IN
...where hiway 421 & 50 kiss...

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 08:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Something is quite wrong if it feels any different than it did new at that mileage. I might change the oil in an A, but, to be frank, I havenít serviced the suspension innards on either of my FJRís and they both continued to function very well as the miles piled up.

My 2014 suspension (A model) still performed superbly at over 85,000 miles of hard use.

My A was still pretty good at 20,000 miles but I have no doubt one can sack out the suspension in 20,000 miles. I don't get 2,000 on dirtbikes.

At 67,000 miles my A is sad. Pogosticks over bump up on to my carport. No fright when riding but I feel every expansion joint and crack. The clickers do nothing.

@FeralSharkCat :

Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 is on its way for my forks. Plus the middle Penske shock with remote reservoir. https://traxxion.com/

The west coast has someone with GP in the name. Other options, perhaps more track oriented.

There is an Andreani fork cartridge for about $600. No telling how or who tuned it for FJR. Guessing most eBay sellers add no value.

Wilburs offers an inexpensive shock upgrade.
mobilemike likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 10:48 PM
FJR Top Gun

20k without suspension fluid change on the forks is not horrible but not great either. It could be feeling a little flaccid with the graphite and other coating material from the sliders that creates a sludge being pushed through the tiny orifices in the valve.

The rear shock was junk from the factory. 20k miles of hard riding just pounded it into Poo. Change it for a Penske or other quality shock.

85k miles of any type of riding on the original fork fluid is ridiculous. You might as well not change your engine oil for 40k.

Its not just the oil that needs to be serviced but the sliders are consumables. They need servicing. Several on this board have changed their fork sliders at much less mileage.
FeralSharkCat likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2020, 11:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Depending on how you ride, about 30k on an A is time for new bushings and fork oil. There will be some sludge (aluminum dust and bushing material) accumulating in the valving at the bottom of the fork..... refresh time!!
Rear shock is poor design from the get go. Ohlins..... all years and models use the same dimension shock... wakey wakey.
A fork spring upgrade is the best bang for the buck while you're doing your refresh. Hold off on the AK20 or other valving until you ride some with new and proper springs. Plenty of adjustment available on the OEM. Aftermarket shock is next.
passx and FeralSharkCat like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If I ever have the stock suspension lay down or quit, traxxion is who Iíd go to for sure. In a heartbeat. Luckily, my suspensions have performed (and continue to perform) admirably even at higher mileage. I donít know whether itís fewer potholes or fewer dirt roads, but I ride hard, in all weather, and havenít had this problem yet. Makes me curious what Iím accidentally doing right.

More money for tires, I suppose.
passx and jjscsix like this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 08:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

I've a 19A & 1st upgrade I made was an Ohlins shock properly sprung for my weight. Found a used one on this forum but I would have bought a new one if that opportunity wasn't there. I've rods in my lumbar area so any suspension upgrade will make a huge comfort change & it did. Next spring will be fork upgrade. Talk to a suspension shop re your needs. I've used Traxxion & Cogent Dynamics with success.
FeralSharkCat likes this.

2019 FJR A
2010 FZ1
1983 Honda Z50
1975 Honda CB400F
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Something is quite wrong if it feels any different than it did new at that mileage. I might change the oil in an A, but, to be frank, I havenít serviced the suspension innards on either of my FJRís and they both continued to function very well as the miles piled up.

Thanks Bill. But Oakland hwy 880 has chewed up every bike I've ever had. Usually trade in bikes after 30k since they get so clapped out. This is my second FJR1300, first one being a 2008 that blew the rear shock at 50k.

Cheers

Kris
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Definitely do a fork oil change and look into a set of springs and maybe a new rear shock.

With the FJR and ST1300 discontinued and the new gold wing less then optimal not many options for a new replacement bike so I guess I'm keeping the 2019 FJR.

Cheers

Kris

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page