2019 Suspension replace/upgrade - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 12:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The fjr1300 hasnít been discontinued. But I agree with you 100 percent otherwise.

And remind me to avoid 880.
FeralSharkCat likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 12:25 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
If I ever have the stock suspension lay down or quit,
I dont want to know what happens when the suspension "lay(s) down or quit(s)" Possibly an ambulance

ride!
Why would you not want to service the suspension like any other component on the bike? Its not voodoo!
Its fluid that breaks down and consumable parts that need periodic inspection and service.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 12:59 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I agree. Iím meticulous about everything else., doing most maintenance tasks more often than necessary. Just never had the stomach for it. And the fact that mine have held up very well with almost no discernible performance change perpetuates my shameful neglect.
mobilemike likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
The fjr1300 hasnít been discontinued. But I agree with you 100 percent otherwise.

And remind me to avoid 880.
Last year happy Hwy 880 story:

Riding in #1 lane (carpool lane), I hear a loud bang and see something in the right corner of my eye. Forced double down shift and snapped the throttle right as I see the remains of a box truck sliding across all lanes of 880 taking out cars all the way to the #1 lane where it hits the divider right behind me and explodes.

Basically, box truck drove off the right side of the freeway, hit a massive electrical box on the side that tore off the whole front end of the truck. The force of impact threw the truck back on the freeway (minus front end) and then slide all the way across all lanes with enough momentum to hit several cars and hit the center divider with full force.

[email protected]#$% worst highway on the planet even compared to Jalibad Road in Afghanistan.....

Stay safe and vigilant.
Bill Lumberg likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

I was heading through Richmond on the 580 west bound in the #2 lane. A white SUV blows by me in the #1 lane, side swipes a car, side swipes an old VW bus and keeps on going. The bus turns sideways and rolls 3-4 times and ends up on it top. I jink to the left to avoid the carnage. I pull over to the side, climb into the van to see if they needed help. Dude is hanging upside down with gas pouring on to him and puddling in the roof. The gas tank is in the front. I get him out of the van and some other passerby's help move him to the side. About this time CHP and EMS show up. I get back on my bike and continue on. Riding in the east bay is a sh*t show. I always feel like I'm on the set of a Mad Max movie.
FeralSharkCat likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ų bike=miles
smiles ų miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2020, 09:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Speaking of suspension I made a 1000 mile round trip to Indiana this week was thankful to be in the truck which was right at home on the beat up interstate. Was awful last time in the Tesla. Would not have been pleasant on my OE worn out FJR suspension.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2020, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
I was heading through Richmond on the 580 west bound in the #2 lane. A white SUV blows by me in the #1 lane, side swipes a car, side swipes an old VW bus and keeps on going. The bus turns sideways and rolls 3-4 times and ends up on it top. I jink to the left to avoid the carnage. I pull over to the side, climb into the van to see if they needed help. Dude is hanging upside down with gas pouring on to him and puddling in the roof. The gas tank is in the front. I get him out of the van and some other passerby's help move him to the side. About this time CHP and EMS show up. I get back on my bike and continue on. Riding in the east bay is a sh*t show. I always feel like I'm on the set of a Mad Max movie.

Mad Max to the bone!! I had a 2018 Suzuki Vstrom that was the perfect East Bay thrasher bike. $12k new out the door + $200 for crash bars all around. Beat that bad boy hard for 25K before selling for $9K. Great bike but just never gave me any spark. Saw the 2019 FJR and fell in love with the FJR again.

Be careful out there dodging ladders, spare tires, milk crates, sofas, truck parts and what ever **** is strewn across East Bay freeways.

Kris
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:26 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Hi Kris. I suggest going to GP Suspension simply because they are in southern California and it is near you. They sell a front fork upgrade that works wonders. I suggest a Penske shock because it can be rebuilt.

After you buy all this nice stuff I suggest changing the fork oil annually to keep it clean. The bushing give themselves up and fine grit gets into the oil. In my mind the less grit the better and it won't hurt a thing and is a simple task to perform.

My experience. Bought a new 09 and road it for 30k miles on stock suspension. The 09 has very soft suspension vs Gen 3 A models. At 30k miles in installed the GP front for kit and a Penske. What a difference. I road the 09 another 78k miles before selling it last year when I bought a 17 ES.

Buying the 17 ES was a big mistake for me. I like all the upgrades of the 17 over the 09 except the ES. The ES shock is under sprung so I have to set the preload to two helmets (3 out of 4) possible settings. The damping adjustments while good are going to a shock that is not adequate. Regardless of how I set it I get unwanted chassis movement. Anyway I may find a 19 A model in 2021 and get back what I once had. For reference I weigh 230 lbs. A person would have to weight about 150 to use preload setting one. ES for me means Extra Sloppy.

Best wishes in finding the upgrades that work well for you.

Last edited by SpokaneJim; 10-09-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page