Fuel Meter Dash - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Way8lifter
  • 2 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-02-2020, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Fuel Meter Dash

Hi, I have a problem with the fuel gauge, all the bars on the display are flashing, whether it is full or empty. What could it be? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 07:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Not come across this one before. Try removing the connectors under the tank and give them a squirt with contact cleaner.
You could also try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and reconnecting.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 08:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Model and year are what? Flashing fuel gage is one of several indications of a spider bite. Have you noticed any other electrical anomalies?

See post #2 of this thread -> https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-f...ome-roost.html

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2020, 09:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Though Iíve been lucky & havenít needed it for my 14a I gotta say that thread was a great writeup Russ, good job !

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 08:46 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm having the same problem with my (new to me) 2010. Just got it and the former owner let it sit for about 5 years.... Siphoned the the old gas out, put some new in and fired it up with a new battery. Since then the fluids have been changed and it runs like a top, but the fuel gauge does exactly what Dario states. I've been using the trip meter to monitor tank capacity - like back in my Seca-II days. =P Wondering if the float arm got bent or if the sending unit got corroded. Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-25-2020, 09:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwfjr View Post
I'm having the same problem with my (new to me) 2010. Just got it and the former owner let it sit for about 5 years.... Siphoned the the old gas out, put some new in and fired it up with a new battery. Since then the fluids have been changed and it runs like a top, but the fuel gauge does exactly what Dario states. I've been using the trip meter to monitor tank capacity - like back in my Seca-II days. =P Wondering if the float arm got bent or if the sending unit got corroded. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Possible.. or better yet the float could be ... not floating . could be sunk and therefore sending the wrong signal to the gauge
you could lift the tank and see if power and ground are at the wires
and if you really want to go all in .. remove the tank .remove the sending nit .. hook up you ohm meter and lift and lower the float arm and see if the resistance changes ( I am guessing no) ..in which case you need a new sender.
if yes then you need to check the other end of the wires leading to the sender ( as close to the gauge as possible ) if no change but there is at the tank .. it is wires ..if change .. might be the dash ( unless this reading is controlled by the ECU .. in which case you need to check it there as well )..well that is my lesson on how to hunt down an test a sensor ,,with A TEST LIGHT A MULTIMETER AND A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE YOU CAN RULE THE WORLD ....OR SHORT IT OUT
passx likes this.

2010 FJR 1300 2003 Suzuki bandit 1200
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2020, 12:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I don't think you can get a sending unit separately, part of complete fuel pump assembly... hope you can revive it, fix a connection, etc.
Note, two connectors under the tank have black ground wires, which are shared at a junction splice somewhere upstream... in case one came undone somehow I dunno how. But your trusty multimeter will let you know if the connection is good or not.
passx and Way8lifter like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page