FJR Owners Forum banner

2019 A model fork harshness

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  sparkie 
#1 ·
Hello forum members,
I've searched suspension questions and answers and didn't see an answer to my complaint/concern. I'm on my 3rd FJR, the last one being a 2013. I'm experiencing teeth shattering front end ubruptness when I encounter road expansion joints. I have spent the entire summer making changes to the preload, compression damping and rebound damping. Extreme changes make little difference. Is anyone else experiencing this? This is definitely spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise perfect bike. Do you ES owners find the ride quality to be smooth on lousy road surfaces ?
Any suggestions or answers will be appreciated. By the way my Illinois dealer says Yamaha has discontinued the A model as of 21.
Thank you, Cyclechris

#2 ·
Hi CycleChris,

So sorry to hear that! I can't answer to your issue, as I am on a 2006 model A with ABS.

Orion is fantastic, on all surfaces. I wonder if there is a failure of the forks themselves, like there is not enough oil in them, from the factory?

And what about tire pressure? Is it to the spec for the bike?

I had to show a friend, that the tire pressure specification on the head tube is the pressure you are supposed to use, not the Max for the tire on its sidewall!

After we got that straight, his bike was so much more rideable!

I am just guessing now, but have you pulled the negative battery cable, to let the ECU reset? Wonder if it got scrogged, and can't make the necessary adjustments to the ES?

Now I am intrigued...

#3 ·
My research nearly 5 years ago suggested the A and ES ride exactly the same but for the ES having electronic controls allowing adjustments on the fly.

Plenty of advise here as to finding sane default clicker and preload settings. One caution I would add is to not force the clicker once it has hit bottom. Some wedge the internal needle valve in its seat and no longer adjust.

#4 ·
Have you noticed this since day one, or did it just develop this harshness condition? Mileage? Do you know if aftermarket shock springs were installed?

2016 and up FJR-A's have a different cartridge in the right fork... not different in valving necessarily but a different assembly procedure when it comes to putting the top fork cap back on.....

On prior models we ran the cartridge nut down, and put on the cap, then ran the nut back up to secure it.
On 2016-up, one must run the nut down 13mm (I recommend no more than that), then put the top cap back on and snug the nut to the cap. This sets the distance allowable for the internal damping wire to do its thing with the rebound valve. If the top cap is installed too low, this effectively makes the damping wire push the rebound valve fully closed.... no rebound damping at all.

Kinda sounds like that's what you're experiencing. Not hard at all to loosen the top triple clamp, remove the top cap, set the nut correctly and reinstall the cap. A jack under the headers will enable you to let the bike down to compress the fork internals so you can work with them. Jack it back up when you need to put the (assembled) cap back into the fork.
I would check that first and try it. Let us know if that improves it and if not, we'll go elsewhere...

Reactions: N4HHE
#6 ·
I think the best thing for you to do is let me borrow it this weekend, so I do a thorough analysis of your situation.

(Guys in Texas, Meet me in Fredericksburg on Saturday, and we can "analyze" CycleChris' bike! LOL)

I am thinking maybe the Willow City Loop? :crylarf:

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies.
Since my previous FJR's did not exhibit this phenomenon I'll have my dealer check the fork. The bike is still under warranty and this jarring harshness has been since day one.
Cyclechris ..
Chris, yes!! Please do that!!!

And let us know what it was!! I am still intrigued!

Reactions: RaYzerman
#11 ·
Good morning,
It's only 40 degrees here in IL so I have to wait a couple of days to go to the dealer. May I assume from the replies that no one else has complaints about hand shaking jolts going over expansion joints ? I did on a few Harleys but never on my previous FJR's. Also when I sit on the bike and hold the front brake and push down on the handlebars I can't move the suspension 1/4". It's as if I have no front suspension at all.
I really hope to solve this because it's spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise perfect bike.
Thanks, Cyclechris..

#12 ·
Yeah, that is SO NOT RIGHT!!!!

My front travel can be as much as 5 inches! Smooth down and back up!

Do us and you a favor and put your model info in your signature block.

Helps with replies.

#13 ·
And, I don't know if you had a chance to watch videos from this guy at TwoWheel Obsessions, but he seems to have some good information for you fancy-pants guys! LOL

#15 ·
Warranty - have them change out the front forks. Period. Do not accept a repair, forks new or it's the lemon law tell them. Leave an ever so slight mark that you'll only know about in each fork to make sure you gotten new ones. $442 on partzilla, each.

From what you say that you apply front brake and push down on the handlebars and it doesn't move, that is NOT right and need to be replaced. Warranty!

#16 ·
Almost sounds like there is an anti compression fork brace installed on it for shipping purposes since it won't move at all when you apply front brake and push down on bars. Did you look down the tunnel at your fork tubes?

Reactions: passx
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.