Return of Stalling w/ Cold Weather - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman
  • 1 Post By rbentnail
  • 1 Post By jmagranniii

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Return of Stalling w/ Cold Weather

I have a 2012 FJR Gen II. 18k miles
Toward the beginning of last winter, the bike would start when cold, but would immediately stall when I rolled the throttle unless I rolled it very slowly. I was recommend the use of SeaFoam. I used an entire bottle per tank of gas for a few tanks and the problem seemed to subside. I was only riding only about 140 miles a month at the time. As the weather warmed I stopped using SeaFoam and had no problems.

The problem returned yesterday. I'm guessing it is coinciding with the drop in weather. My riding has also increased to about 600 miles a month across the last 4 months, so I would have assumed there was a potential to cook off some of the gunk. This bike only has 18,000 miles.
Return to SeaFoam? Get the injectors cleaned?
I will also increase the idle today.

2012 FJR Gen II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 09:02 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Idle should be around 1100 when warmed up. If the bike sits, use Seafoam to take care of any moisture that may have accumulated in the tank. It only takes a little bit to cause issues. Doubt you have an injector problem at those miles.
Let us know how that works.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 09:17 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

J, the idle should be at around 1100rpm warm but I would check the MAP sensor and itís hoses and connections. Ray (rayzerman) suggests this regularly because it apparently gets a waxy buildup in it and being that this shows up when cold points to something like the MAP sensor being restricted. If Iím remembering correctly itís on the rh side of the valve cover. Might be worthwhile to check for smooth operation of the throttle position sensor in the diagnostics as well.

One other easy thing to do is to maybe use some Heet fuel treatment to remove any possible water in the fuel. Do you always buy your gas at the same place ? The reason I ask is years ago one if the guys I knew worked at a gas station where the owner would add water to the fuel tanks whenever the fuel prices dropped to theoretically increase his profit margin. Very unethical but I doubt he was/is the only one to do this. So anyway add something to the fuel to get any possible water out and then Iíd check the map sensor. Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 02:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The MAP sensor could be an issue, but at 18k dunno. No harm in ensuring it's got a clean vacuum source.... should be on top of the TB's left of center on Gen2, black thing with two screws and hose connection underneath.
passx likes this.

Ray
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:47 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check the little rubber caps at the throttle body connections. They rot over time and crack. Doing so, they seem to effect more in cooler riding than in warm. If needed, I use the generic replacements from my local O'Reilly's auto parts store.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 10:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

There has been a few accounts of a bad TPS causing off idle stumbles and cut-off.

'14 FJR1300ES
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 01:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

A little clarification.

Does it do it only on initial start? When the engine is cold? Or does it do it all day in colder weather even when the engine is good and warm?

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Issue resolved. I pulled the vacuum tubes from the IAP sensor (I did this before starting the bike, when cold). I blew through the tubes with my mouth, felt obstructions (residue or gunk buildup). I sprayed Gumout, let sit for a few minutes, then blew the tubes again, covering all ports but one at a time (like playing a flute). This cleared any gunk that accumulated and I was able to blow air through the tubes with ease. It's been over a week and the problem has been fixed.
cra-z1 likes this.

2012 FJR Gen II
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Today, 01:02 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Atta boy!! It happens.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page