2009 surging idle - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Unhappy 2009 surging idle

need help. I picked up this 2009 AE with less than 5000 miles. Guess the previous owner could not get used to the electronic shift. I did a quick test ride. Seemed okay. But guess it was not a long enough ride. No matter warmed up or not surging idle varying by at least 50 rpm. I DID THROTTLE BODY SYNC,no improvement with the surging, except now it's at correct 1000 vs. 900 before when warmed up. Also checked air filter for critters...none. But surging is a constant when at idle no matter air temperature or time running. It does pull smoothly once past 1500rpm.... And sometimes if I am too quick with the throttle in Neutral testing, it dies ! With the lack of miles,.could this just be and injector issue? I have been running Techron and Ring Free(yamaha) for just a short time. If not injectors, I am leaning towards a vacuum leak...but with such low miles on a garaged bike I am thinking not. Any ideas ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 06:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm. View Post
need help. I picked up this 2009 AE with less than 5000 miles. Guess the previous owner could not get used to the electronic shift. I did a quick test ride. Seemed okay. But guess it was not a long enough ride. No matter warmed up or not surging idle varying by at least 50 rpm. I DID THROTTLE BODY SYNC,no improvement with the surging, except now it's at correct 1000 vs. 900 before when warmed up. Also checked air filter for critters...none. But surging is a constant when at idle no matter air temperature or time running. It does pull smoothly once past 1500rpm.... And sometimes if I am too quick with the throttle in Neutral testing, it dies ! With the lack of miles,.could this just be and injector issue? I have been running Techron and Ring Free(yamaha) for just a short time. If not injectors, I am leaning towards a vacuum leak...but with such low miles on a garaged bike I am thinking not. Any ideas ?
Surging aside, the idle needs to be set at 1100rpm; 1000rpm is too low and that's most likely your dying issue. Have you changed the spark plugs? Fuel injector cleaner? 5000 miles means it's been sitting a LOT and that may be an issue if the previous owner(s) didn't use Stabil or some kind of fuel conditioner. You could try Seafoam first before trying to replace parts. Vacuum leak is possible, but first adjust the idle to 1100rpm and see what that does for your dying issue.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Would not a vacuum leak show itself when you adjusted the throttle bodies? I mean the gauge is a vacuum gauge ..so it should have shown up then ?
next on possible culprits is a bad oxygen sensor ( you can pull it out .. test the continuity .... hit it lightly with a torch..and the values ( whatever they may be ) should change google it

2010 FJR 1300

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:59 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

2009 surging idle

Quote:
Jasonm,

I agree with Maximrebel here, idle should be set to 1100~1200 RPM for most FJRs. Your owners' manual should have the right RPM numbers for the AE at idle.

How old is the gasoline in the tank? If you are trying to save a few pennies by running old rotten gas through expensive fuel injectors, you might get much worse results very shortly. If the gasoline in the tank is old, then siphon and dump the old gas first thing (do NOT add fresh gas to old gas; that will not help). Seafoam in the gas tank may be some part of the answer you need, too. Give the Seafoam a few tanks of gas to do its' magic. Seafoam is real magic, but it is not instant magic.

Until you get things right, I recommend running real gasoline (not ethanol-gas) in the FJR. Get good gasoline here:

www.pure-gas.org

You may have a problem from the Throttle Position Sensor. The bike's diagnostics can test the TPS on the bike, no disassembly needed. The TPS usually goes bad (or flakey) at the low throttle end. The numbers (when testing) should roll up smoothly, no jumps.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

#3 was showing the lowest when I connected the sync. They were all off a bit. Corrected that #3 and others but the surging continued. Yes, 3 the lowest I was thinking that might have vac leak. I sprayed multiple things the in the area of #3 throttle body, Silcone spray is my favorite because it does not burn and would seal a leak...then smooth things out for a second or so, then weaken as it's ingested , today's test results= No noticeable change . O2 sensor With such low miles that will be a surprise I will check that too just not sure why I would remove it. Cars' O2 can be tested installed, why not this bike?. Will do the 1100 rpm also. My previous ride was an '87 1300 Venture. It's idle was 1000 and it needed almost no throttle to go. It has the same bore and stroke as the FJR and my dyno chart matches the FJR to 7000rpm 93hp. Then the FJR makes and added 30hp 7000 to 9000rpm. It really hustled for such a beast. I guess EPA is really strangling the new bikes with the cats.
The way I have always tested smoothness and tune at stand still is opening throttle slowly and listening for EVEN steady RPM. This bike don't have that. FYI the throttle response is not a super smooth(steady) thing till 2500+. As stated before I have been using Chevron/Techron and Yamaha ring free.Both have helped in the past. I drained the tank and put the additives mentioned plus Startron which I have used for past 10 years because I can only get ethanol 10% fuels at pumps here, Startron works. I have had the bike for very short time. This issue has been from the beginning. I use Mobil gas. Techron I used in lawnmowers. Did not ever need Techron in my motorcycle while using Startron. This is my 1st EFI bike and wanted good ABS. I am getting service manual and see if it's throwing any hidden codes. The TPS sounds possible.Hope the service manual gives specifics- it should. Any more suggestions are helpful.Thank you

Last edited by jasonm.; 09-13-2020 at 09:41 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 09:45 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Surging of 50 rpm isn't all that unusual, maybe you're just sensitive to it, however, at this point I wouldn't do much but ride it with the fuel conditioners you're trying. Ethanol ok if fresh. Hopefully it settles down. AE idle may not be 1100 (I thought 900 but could be wrong)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

O2 sensor With such low miles that will be a surprise I will check that too just not sure why I would remove it. Cars' O2 can be tested installed, why not this bike?

sure can .. do you have a diagnostic machine that can capture live data ? Do you know how to read it?
I have a OBD11 reader that works for my can .. my understanding is there is NOT an OBD11 connector for you to attach to ... hence the simpler test of unscrewing it .......
and yes I agree it should NOT be bad .. that doesnt mean it isnt .. you seem to be lacking other ideas so I thought I would throw out possibilities... but for that matter your TPS should be good .. your throttle body should not be out of sync and you should not have a vacuum leak .........maybe you have a small bit of understanding why I through that out there .... because your bike should be running great . but it is not ./

2010 FJR 1300
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:23 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

2009 surging idle

Quote:
I was thinking that might have vac leak. I sprayed multiple things the in the area of #3 throttle body, Silcone spray is my favorite because it does not burn and would seal a leak...then smooth things out for a second or so, then weaken as it's ingested , today's test results= No noticeable change . . .
Any more suggestions are helpful.Thank you
Jasonm,

I would not recommend using anything that leaves a residue behind, for finding a vacuum leak. Ether (starting fluid) will burn, but it will not hurt anything in small doses. Almost any solvent should be okay, but spray it on glass first, to be sure that it dries off without leaving any residue.

Anything that might seal a leak would probably get into the engine and cause even more grief.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

My '07 has a constant idle surge of about 50 rpm with the idle set at about 1150 since new. I tried for 3 or 4 yrs everything everyone has suggested here and much more. For the last 90,000 miles I've ignored it and rode on with apparently no detrimental effects whatsoever.
RaYzerman, Way8lifter and nunia720 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
My '07 has a constant idle surge of about 50 rpm with the idle set at about 1150 since new. I tried for 3 or 4 yrs everything everyone has suggested here and much more. For the last 90,000 miles I've ignored it and rode on with apparently no detrimental effects whatsoever.
My 2016 experiences the same fluctuation of around 50 rpms, but only on occasion once warmed up. Some days I don't notice any at all.

2016 FJR 1300 A. cobalt blue metallic..Delkevic 13" tri ovals,Yamaha comfort seats, Yamaha touring windscreen, Mich PR 4 Gt's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page