2016+ Auxiliary Lights Trigger - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sunnyorlando
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2016+ Auxiliary Lights Trigger

Not having found answers to my question (maybe I missed them) on how to trigger aux with high beam headlight, I finally took some time this weekend to figure out.
The solution applies to 2016 and up with LED headlights. Possibly others with LED. Not sure why they chose to trigger with GND (-), but that's how they do on these these.
> In most incandescent cases you would utilize the high beam 12v+ line to trigger the SPDT or SPST relay which in turn activates the aux lights.
> In the case with LED headlights, the H/L - flash handlebar switches or pulses the the NEG (-) side.
> The colors at the handlebar switch are Yellow, Yellow/White tracer and Blue/Black tracer.
> The Yellow/White tracer and Blue/Black tracer are joined in the harness at about where the handlebars meet the triple tree. So basically these two are the same. Go figure why they used two colors. Maybe that's how they where before LED implementation and they reutilized the harness.
> When wiring the relay, you would simply power the 12v+ to your preferred source (leave that part up to you) and then 'trigger' relay using the NEG (-) from the handlebar switch.
> I spliced the harness at that mid point where the harness meets the triple tree. Made the connection there (splice, solder, heat shrink) and resealed the harness. In order to get some slack to work with, you lose the harness wiring clamp under then L handlebar, and remove the L handlebar switch assembly don't the handlebar. This gives enough slack to work the harness.
> In the harness, look for the Yellow/White tracer as that is the joined connection. If you slice the harness enought, about 3~4 in up, you will see where the Blue/Black tracer joins the Yellow/White tracer. This is where I are my connection.
> I closed up the harness and ran the new trigger wire to my relay. That's it. Once done you cannot tell it's there if you are datalird and neat about it. Harness looks OEM and the wire is hidden amongst the other harnesses running from the neck to under the instrument panel.
> I opted to power the aux right from the battery. I also added a switch that allows me to run the aux lights all the time, or switch it to flash or on with H beam.

I did not include pics because when I get into that zone of figuring things out, I just work through it. And suddenly I'm finished and no pics. I will add diagram later so there's a visual which helps some folks.

I'm surprised that I was unabke to find this info anywhere on FJR forums. You'd think that after 4 years with LEDs someone with a service manual would have taken the time to figure this out since there are plenty asking about it. I still don't have a service manual, so this was pure hands on digging research.

Hope this helps.
jjscsix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 08:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That handlebar wiring goes forward into the nose with the connectors there. It's a bit more plastic removal but easier to make the connections up there I'd think.
jjscsix likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 08:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

That is good to know. I just put Denalis on my bike and have the “DataDim” relay that allows you to run their lights at 5 watts or 10 watts. They are designed to with use an on/off/on switch, or trigger from the high beam wire. They state in their directions that bikes with LED headlights the high beam circuit has an unstable voltage and will likely cause their lights to flicker.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page