2018 Cruise Control Light Flashing - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2020, 10:58 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013fjr1300 View Post
I have the same exact issue on occasion on my 2013FJR. However it is rare and it has only happened when I'm already in motion and want to use the cruise control! (Yes - that is annoying!) By stopping, turning the bike off, restarting and engaging the cruise button 'ON' again it always resets.
Ditto. On a long ride recently I actually just pulled in clutch, turned key off for five seconds, turned back on, restarted engine, turned CC on, flashing light was gone, re-engaged CC and kept going.
I’ve never had the flashing light start while CC was engaged, just when it was on and not engaged.
G P Jones and 2013fjr1300 like this.

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 08:34 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Have you guys cleaned and lubed your sensors? Try it and see if that goes away.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I guess I'll have to get a bit closer next time I'm washing the bike and see if I can find the sensor(s). I assume it's using the ABS sensor so I need to look at both tires? Or is there a separate sensor for CC?

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 01:55 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

No, there is no separated CC sensor.

If the ABS system is not generating a fault, your ABS sensors are almost certainly OK. And the CC system has no way of knowing whether or not the brake lights are working. CC problems are pretty much tied to the interlock switches on the front brake and clutch interlock switches and the rear brake switch.
2013fjr1300 likes this.

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2020, 08:10 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Prior to Gen3, the rear sensor was used for speedo (ECU) and both used for ABS (ABS ECU). Add cruise and the ECU uses both signals. The system got more sensitive to those signals it seems.
One screw holds each of the sensors, simple to remove, clean off any corrosion, lube with silicone (dielectric) grease on the sensor sleeve and the hole it goes in.
2013fjr1300 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 09:41 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgkramar View Post
I guess I'll have to get a bit closer next time I'm washing the bike and see if I can find the sensor(s). I assume it's using the ABS sensor so I need to look at both tires? Or is there a separate sensor for CC?
I pulled the sensors this weekend (easy to find once you look for them) and both were spotless clean with a very light coating of some kind of oil/grease. I really doubt the intermittent error is due to a dirty sensor.

My current guess is that it could be when one of the tires slips a bit the system detects an error, and once set the only way to reset the error is to turn ignition off/on.
2013fjr1300 likes this.

Stephen Kramar
2018 FJR1300A
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Long-standing challenge. What happens is part of the start-up sequence does a diagnostic on, among other things, the proper functioning of the disabling mechanisms. This includes the front and rear brake levers and clutch lever. They each have two microswitches, positioned to be operated in sequence. If the bike senses position of the switches is illogical, it will disable arming of the CC. It's always been one of these three and it's maddeningly transient. Fails on one start, works fine the next. So far: contact cleaner inside the front brake switch assembly cleared the first instance. The second had to do with a sticking rear brake pedal, and the third the clutch switch assembly needed to be cleaned.

This last one was a little different. The CC armed light came on OK, but I couldn't set it. Cycling the clutch handle while still riding cleared it. There are diagnostics to check out which of these is the culprit, but so far it has always been so sporadic that they wind up passing when I test them. So it's an educated guess as to which is the problem.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

OK this thing is starting to P me off. As of yesterday I can't ride more than a few minutes before the CC light starts flashing and I lose CC.

I'm just out of warranty now so I'm not keen on taking it in to the dealer. I looked at the service manual and it says:
"Because the automatic deactivation of the cruise control system is stored in the memory of the ECU, the deactivation can be checked using the Yamaha diagnostic tool." As I only have an ODB2 reader there is no way for me to diagnose what is actually causing the CC to de-activate.

Will something like this

or
https://ca.dhgate.com/yamaha-diagnos...ol-canada.html
read the codes for me?

The other thing that has me suspicious is that this problem started appearing after my 13K km service where the yammy dealer tech supposedly changed my spark plugs. The other thing I've noticed is my low fuel indicator lights have changed levels. Before this service my first low fuel light indicated when I had 5L left in the tank, second light at 3L. The second light now seems to be indicating at about 4-5L left. I am starting to wonder if the tank was re-installed differently or some wires have been dislodged during the spark plug change. Is it coincidence?

2018 FRJ1300ES Matte Cobalt Metallic Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page