Is there a trick to replacing rear brake pads? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Is there a trick to replacing rear brake pads?

Wow, another problem I have never dealt with!! Got replacement pads for front and rear brakes, Niche brand~semi-metallic. For the life of me I cannot get the rear pads to clear the disc. Piston is flush to caliper. I've tried inserting outside pad first then the rear...opposite of that.. everything. I feel like the pads are about 1/32mm to thick. Is that possible or am I missing something simple? I am about 2 put these pads on a belt sander and reduce the thickness that way.

In a perfect world I would seat the pads and then pull caliper over, tighten bolts with the rubber boots and call it a day. NOT WORKING

New to me 2003 FJR1300
2003 Ninja 500

Last edited by nunia720; 08-27-2020 at 10:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-27-2020, 11:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

well I havent put my rears on yet .. but the easiest way I found to put the fronts on was to put the caliper on and THEN insert the pads .. I wiil try tomorrow ..I have the same pads sitting next to my computer
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Had that happen to me about 30 years ago on a Yamaha XS1100. It is only one of the reasons why I now never buy after market pads, only OEM for me.
skippy344! likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Have you looked at your rear brake fluid level? Sometimes you have to remove some fluid to allow the pistons to retract fully.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I would check the pad thickness vs OEM spec. They may simply bee too thick. If so, I would return and get OEM
N4HHE likes this.

2016 ES
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 12:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Buy oem pads or get a decent mask for using the belt sander. Have seen it a few times with after market pads being too thick.
passx likes this.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:07 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Never had this problem with OEM or EBC HH.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-28-2020, 01:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Not sure about Niche, I've only used OEM and EBC without issues. Might be a brand issue, I only see Niche being sold through Ebay and discount retailers.

2008 FJR1300 (current)
2013 FJR1300 (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
2005 FJR1300 (traded in)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 10:55 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Have you looked at your rear brake fluid level? Sometimes you have to remove some fluid to allow the pistons to retract fully.
Thats my first thought, you're probably fighting against the master cylinder that is full, not allowing caliper pistons to retract all the way. Sanding the pads is not the way to go.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagefree View Post
Thats my first thought, you're probably fighting against the master cylinder that is full, not allowing caliper pistons to retract all the way. Sanding the pads is not the way to go.
I've used 4 or 5 different mfr's pads, all without sanding. They all fit fine once I removed enough fluid for the pistons to retract.

Other suggestions:

- have you loosened the stabilizer arm mount screws on both ends? Sometimes I had to do that to be able to wiggle the caliper a bit.

- I use a door wedge to push pistons apart. Available at hardware stores, used for plumbing/squaring door frames. Wood wedges, wider than the brake rotor. Works great to push all pistons at the same time, mostly b/c it's a wedge . Start small end between new pads and push until the wide end is completely through.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page