Starting woes continue - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Never a mistake to have a fresh starter solenoid.... lots of reasonably priced aftermarket relays out there.
Gen1's did have ignition switch issues... but if the relay clicks every time you turn the key, then should be OK.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Have been looking at starter solenoids but can only find cheap Chinese ones which reviews are saying have a habit of sticking closed or the expensive oem one. I'll have a read of the manual and see if I can remove the switch gear and clean it up but I'll probably have to bite the bullet and get the oem solenoid. Thought the fact that shorting it and the bike starting each time confirmed the solenoid was healthy but electrics are my achilles heal, one of many

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-29-2020, 05:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
OK I got to the starter solenoid and shorting it starts the bike each time. Would I be right thinking that points to the start switch or ignition switch as the likely problem with starting?
It is the starter relay that is gone, finished, kaput, dead, etc. If it clicks when the starter button is pressed the internal contacts are most probably pitted and damaged to the point where they will not pass sufficient current to turn over the starter motor. You may find a bit of corrosion and verdigris on the solenoid pins for the removable plug but it won't be the cause of your woes. The starter relay is a sealed unit and cannot be serviced, believe me because I tried to have an internal view of the old one after the change. My problems started with an occasional non start with the button pressed and gradually deteriorated over time.
As previously posted, type in MS5F-631 to E bay or whatever and see what comes up. I found this starter relay was used on multiple Yamaha models and KTMs. Where you get it from is up to you but I didn't think paying $35 and having it couriered to the door was not too bad compared to paying four times that amount and having to ride 50 miles to the Yamaha dealer to get it. The bike now starts first time every time.
Good luck with access and all the panels
Dubfjr and dravnx like this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Bit the bullet and ordered the oem solenoid, came to 100euro with a few other random nuts and bolts so not too expensive. Just didn't want to chance the cheap chinese ones and risk frying the starter motor, lots of reports on them sticking closed.

Thanks for all the advice and comments. Hopefully this resolves the starting issues once and for all.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 05:48 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Save yourself 10 minutes on the replacement process, not like me. The replacement relay will probably come with the rubber mount fitting already in place. Take it off the relay and then fit this first to the mounting tangs on the bike, then fit the relay in position. Stops frustration and swearing.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 08:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

it is tough and long winded to try to explain a circuit in a forum post .. but I can lead you in the right direction to hunt down the problem .. the diagnostic procedure is FASTEC .... fuel air spark timing exhaust compression here is a video explain plus brian is cool... ,,
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

as for the relay .. I ran into this problem with my Suzuki bandit .. you mentioned jumping it worked.. there is a fuse between the 2 posts ..is the fuse good ? ( maybe 30-40 amp green? ) if you hook a test light up .. the one side should be hot ( light the bulb ) the other will be grounded ,, push the starter button and the grounded side should now light the bulb and move electricity to the starter ..
.. let us know what happens when you run this test ( BTW I purchased a new relay / solenoid and it still didnt work,, but because I ran theses tests I KNEW my diagnosis was correct and bought another one .. if wiring issue ( which I had before .. you can still fix it without the dealer 800.00 charge
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-07-2020, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well had to wait a week for the solenoid to arrive but just fitted and the bike fired up first prod of the starter. Fingers crossed its not another false dawn similar to bypassing the alarm but signs are good that's cured the starting problems.

Again thanks to all for your advice and comments.
bounce likes this.

2003 GenI
2006 GenII
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-08-2020, 06:00 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfjr View Post
Well had to wait a week for the solenoid to arrive but just fitted and the bike fired up first prod of the starter. Fingers crossed its not another false dawn similar to bypassing the alarm but signs are good that's cured the starting problems.

Again thanks to all for your advice and comments.
Felt exactly the same after replacing the same and now ride anywhere and shut down without qualms.
Dubfjr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page