Clutch dragging - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Clutch dragging

2005 fjr. Have been just dealing with the clutch not releasing fully. I was just holding the clutch in til 1 bar temp during start up and it would lessen the clunk to first. Things have gotten worse like rpm dropping at red light in 1st the clutch was dragging so bad. Couldnt start engine in first with clutch pulled in. Watched a very good video on the procedure. Only thing is i couldnt get the wire retainer out to get at last set. I can tell that disc is burn as it is the same color as The outter most disk. The rest of them came out stuck together with no oil on them. I figure the outter and inner sets were the only few that were releasing so i left the inner in. No pars to replace if i break something. Soaked everything and reassembled. Made zero improvement. Im just going to order new clutch kit i guess, or could it be something else? I flushed/bled clutch fluid a while back with no improvement. Running with clutch lever on 1 as well. I was expecting at least a little change. But i cant even tell i did anything. Sucks im going to have to go back in to it. The job is easy except for the crash gaurd. And **** it looks som much better without gaurd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 03:14 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Clutch dragging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfletcher View Post
2005 fjr. Have been just dealing with the clutch not releasing fully. I was just holding the clutch in til 1 bar temp during start up and it would lessen the clunk to first. Things have gotten worse like rpm dropping at red light in 1st the clutch was dragging so bad. Couldnt start engine in first with clutch pulled in. Watched a very good video on the procedure. Only thing is i couldnt get the wire retainer out to get at last set. I can tell that disc is burn as it is the same color as The outter most disk. The rest of them came out stuck together with no oil on them. I figure the outter and inner sets were the only few that were releasing so i left the inner in. No pars to replace if i break something. Soaked everything and reassembled. Made zero improvement. Im just going to order new clutch kit i guess, or could it be something else? I flushed/bled clutch fluid a while back with no improvement. Running with clutch lever on 1 as well. I was expecting at least a little change. But i cant even tell i did anything. Sucks im going to have to go back in to it. The job is easy except for the crash gaurd. And **** it looks som much better without gaurd.
Dieselfletcher,

There is a brass bushing in the clutch lever, and if it gets too worn, the clutch drags. Check that the lever pivot is not worn, and lube the new bushing.

Index #4 on this fiche:
http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...-assembly.html
passx likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 08-15-2020 at 03:20 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you. I did try to grab the lever and pull in and out on that pivot, didnt notice any movement. Its cheap enough i would rather replace that first so may just order it. How involved is rebuilding m/c and slave? Will i need to take clutch back apart? My dang manual is in storage. I have not been loosing fluid so i thought my hydraulics were good.thanks again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 08:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The wire retainer has a 90 degree type hook on each end, both those hooks fit into the same hole... have to snag one and pull it straight out of the hole.

A clutch soak should have solved your sticking issue provided the plates were decent, cleaned up and oiled. If still sticking then you have to look at the hydraulics.
Bleed annually, check lever bushings and then should be OK.
If still sticking, then m/c rebuild might be the cure. Not a real big job but you'll have to start all over with the bleeding.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2020, 09:33 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselfletcher View Post
Thank you. I did try to grab the lever and pull in and out on that pivot, didnt notice any movement. Its cheap enough i would rather replace that first so may just order it. How involved is rebuilding m/c and slave? Will i need to take clutch back apart? My dang manual is in storage. I have not been loosing fluid so i thought my hydraulics were good.thanks again.
Dieselfletcher,

The clutch lever itself pivots on a bolt. The clutch lever bushing is what pushes the actuating rod into the master cylinder (#4); they are not the same things. This is a good bushing, and one that has completely blown out the back, for comparison. If your bushing is deformed or worn, then a new one is needed.

passx, dravnx and 2GENAE like this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:11 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Another prime example............ This one off a bike I bought where the clutch action was rather disturbing.... in addition the lever pivot brass bearing was also worn oval and lever was rather sloppy. Not available separately so I pressed one out of another lever and boom, clutch worked like new. I think the PO thought major clutch work was needed, thus I got a good price on that bike.

2GENAE likes this.

Ray
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Another prime example............

That looks like the one I just replaced on my 2013 with 57k miles on it.

It would creep forward when at a stop light and was hard to get into neutral. I got one from Partzilla installed it an man what a difference in shifting. Never knew that bushing would make that much difference
RaYzerman likes this.

Jerry Holland
2013 FJR1300A
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Man i bet its that bushing! Have it parked and commuting on the trusty xr650l. So that bushing is on the end Of the plunger? Guess ill just dig in. I bathed the clutches in oil and put them in dripping wet. I should have soaked them for how long? Thanks everyone!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Mine is doing same thing. Creeps at lights, kapow! Going into first. Makes me 😬. Just ordered bolt, bolt bushing and bushing for mc. Thanks again!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2020, 06:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Clutch soak doesn't have to be for long, the friction plates don't absorb much at all in truth.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page