Where to Tap for 12v Power? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Where to Tap for 12v Power?

Is there any hidden plug anywhere where I can tap for 12v switched power besides going directly to the battery(unswitched circuit/continous) or the switched circuit of accessory cig.lighter in the left compartment?
I just want to be sure it is or it isn't any before I start working on it. I need to hard wire a gps and a radar detector, and I want them both hot only when the ignition key is turned on.
Almost every single bike I've ridden had some hidden female connectors on a switched 12v circuit. Most of them under the seat. Any luck with the FJR? I've got a 2008 model.
I don't want to install relays and such. I would like to keep it simple and clean.
N4HHE likes this.

Last edited by calboy; 08-09-2020 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 11:52 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Where to Tap for 12v Power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboy View Post
Is there any hidden plug anywhere where I can tap for 12v switched power besides going directly to the battery(unswitched circuit/continous) or the switched circuit of accessory cig.lighter in the left compartment?
I just want to be sure it is or it isn't any before I start working on it. I need to hard wire a gps and a radar detector, and I want them both hot only when the ignition key is turned on.
Almost every single bike I've ridden had some hidden female connectors on a switched 12v circuit. Most of them under the seat. Any luck with the FJR? I've got a 2008 model.
I don't want to install relays ans such. I would like to keep it simple and clean.
calboy,

That glovebox outlet is only good for a very few Amps, and the wiring to it is not heavy enough to stand using a higher-Amp fuse.

Most of the heavy fuses on the FJR are switched by the ignition key. Use a Fuse Tap on one of the heavy fuses. Your tapped 12Vdc line can have any fuse rating you want there, while the original fuse stays on the job as before. Any auto parts store will have them.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 08-10-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 04:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Check out a plug and play harness from Admore lighting, part #A-FJR2. It plugs in under the left side cover, requires no modification of factory wiring, is easily accessible from the top and will provide you with what you need. Not expensive either. I've been using one for several yrs for additional lighting in the rear.

https://admorelighting.com/product/a-fjr2/
Full House, Agave and Ace Handler like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 07:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

GPS and radar fortunately do not draw a lot of power. I vote fuse tap first (hazard fuse, it affects nothing else) or behind the air cleaner you'll find the licence plate wire (two bullet connectors). There is also the blue tail light wire in a 6-way connector the Admore harness plugs into. There is also an unused alarm 6-way connector there which may have switched power.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 08:49 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Check out a plug and play harness from Admore lighting, part #A-FJR2. It plugs in under the left side cover, requires no modification of factory wiring, is easily accessible from the top and will provide you with what you need. Not expensive either. I've been using one for several yrs for additional lighting in the rear.

https://admorelighting.com/product/a-fjr2/
Description
This plug-n-play adapter lets you connect your AdMore light kit (or any other lighting accessory with less than a 2A current draw) without having to tap the stock wiring on your Yamaha FJR (Gen II & Gen III).

I thought the glove box outlet allowed for 3 amps. I would use a relay with battery power and above mentioned harness to trigger power to be safe and allow for ample power for what you want to power.
N4HHE likes this.

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
2000 VFR800 Blue
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 01:05 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You can tap glove box wire, but why... just go with a fuse tap instead. You can upgrade the fuse on glove box to 5 amp, the wire will take that.. I wouldn't go more than that.
GPS and radar together less than that.
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

What's the fuse type found on the fjr? I have not open that panel to look at fuses so I don't know what fuse tap to buy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
calboy.... check your PM's.

"The only barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it."
2008 Yamaha FJR1300AE
2002 Honda ST1100
...fully farkled.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 07:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Adding Key On electricity for accessory

I wrote about this and installed key-on only electricity for USB ports for phone. I did use a relay from a car fuse box.
I used the low voltage and power of probably the accessory box/outlet and used that to trigger the relay and the relay was coming off the starter relay/battery.
The high side of the relay provided much higher amps as required by phones and tablets/accessories.

All clean and tucked away in the right side. Key-on only was important to me.

I did use a fuse tap device that plugged into the original fuse, kept that fuse as same amperage, then fed the relay on a second fuse.
There is also a larger fuse on the high side of the relay. It was way easy to do. If you search for my posts you will find the write up with pictures.

Good Luck!
mobilemike and Ace Handler like this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 11:08 AM
FJR Top Gun

I have never understood the "I dont want to install relays" mind set. I hear it quite often.

There is no Voo-Doo with relays.

They do not take up much space. One relay has a 30 amp capability which is more than the reserve capacity of the charging system.

Once the relay is installed the outputs can be configured and reconfigured any way you want. The main power and ground taps can be used for a remote battery charging connection. So you do not need to pull the battery cover panel to charge it.

You can build your own or buy a premade assembly.

There is no down side to installing a relay.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page