FJR Owners Forum banner

Battery Shelf life

779 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  N4HHE 
#1 ·
Hi all, quick question,. I have a battery that I bought for my dearly departed 900f. It has been sitting on a shelf for years but I never added the acid. Is this thing junk? Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Nothing to lose... I don't see why it wouldn't work at least to a very high percentage of it's capacity. Add the acid, slow charge at least overnight... at whatever rate they recommend, usually 1.2-2 amps..

#5 ·
Should be like new ! But like Ray suggested I always put a new battery on one of my battery tenders to let it charge to full slowly at least overnight, seems to help with the life. I also tend to keep things on a battery tender when not being used, definitely gives better battery life.

Reactions: N4HHE
#6 ·
The reason they ship batteries without acid (“unactivated”) is specifically for maximum shelf life.

As has already been said, slow charge for 6 hours or more before use. Yuasa has a tech note stating a freshly activated battery will start your engine but will last much longer if “broken in” on slow charge rather than immediately hammered by the full force of vehicle charge system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.