FJR Owners Forum banner

gear-drive problem

4K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Mr_Ed 
#1 ·
Hi Friends. I am new to this blog. I have a 2006 FJR 1300A (manual shift shaft drive) that has developed a strange problem. As the bike warms up, it gradually loses traction in all gears. The engine continues to operate properly, and I can change gears normally, but there is less and less traction. It is as if the drive disengages from the gears, no traction. I had to have my bike towed home when I was unable to get up a hill near home. I changed the shaft drive oil, changed the regular oil with 10w-40, and checked the radiator. Still continues to die. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am in the Rockville, MD area and would like recommendations for dealerships or mechanics nearby who can service my bike.
Sincerely,
Mike V.
301-802-8855

#2 ·
How many miles on this thing? Sounds like clutch is slipping. Causes can be, worn clutch lever pivot, worn brass bushing in clutch lever, master cylinder sticking (which also begs the question, do you bleed it annually?), sticky slave cylinder, and of course, worn clutch plates.
Suggest the obvious simple things first before diving into the clutch, however, likely time to inspect the plates for wear and condition Have you been using automotive oil with friction modifiers?

#5 · (Edited)
As long as oil without friction modifiers is used, automotive oils are fine. I used it for the first 10 yrs in my FJR.

I disagree with the lever/bushing comment. That problem causes the clutch to stick closed. But I do agree with it being a clutch related problem.

#6 ·
One thing I would ask is does it have the stock levers, specifically the clutch lever ? Several here including me have had trouble with aftermarket levers causing the clutch to slip. It does sound like the clutch is slipping.

Reactions: Mr_Ed
#10 ·
That particular problem:

- showed up only on the Gen3, OP has an '06 Gen2;
- kept the clutch assy from disengaging. Not the problem the OP has.

#8 ·
Howdy. Welcome to the forum.

I agree with Ray. Check the simple stuff first. Then try an oil change, before you open up the crankcase to look at the clutch. Which oil? Umm, I'd rather not go there. Check the archives for oil threads, but while you are troubleshooting, I would recommend you try Yamalube just to remove as many variables from the equation as possible.

Me? I like Rotella T6, but YMMV. For some reason, some of us like T6 and some of us don't, but we pretty much all agree that, although Yamalube is a little pricey (it is, after all, dealer supplied), it does work.

#11 ·
Russ, on my Gen 3 the aftermarket Levers would not allow the clutch to fully engage (slip) , I have done a complete layout on them vs the stock levers including the brass bushing (check it & lube regularly) and I cannot see why they do what they are doing. But it is repeatable, stock levers are fine but put the aftermarkets on and the clutch slips. Silly thing is that they worked fine for 2 years before this started. It definitely is the lever but I’ve reached a point that I ain’t going to “f” with it anymore. Works perfect with the stock levers.

Reactions: bounce
#28 ·
My thetwowheels levers were defective. Caused slippage. Everything was installed and adjusted correctly. Levers just weren't to spec.
What I've seen on some of them is that there's no free play at the lever leaving pressure on the push rod all the time. I've seen some folks pull that rod out and grind a very small amount off one end -- just enough to get a small amount of free play at the lever.

#14 ·
Bill, I also had the “the two wheels” levers and they were great for a couple of years (???) until they weren’t and now they just make the clutch slip for no apparent reason.

I remember when you had your problem and couldn’t understand how or why and now after mine gave me the exact same issue also for no apparent reason I’m totally baffled as to why they did this. Every now and again I’ll pull them out & look at them, measure them, not find a thing wrong and put them back in the box and back on the shelf, I should just throw then in the big round file box and not let them bug me anymore.

Maybe tomorrow 😳

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.