GAs Level Display, Gas Mileage, Real Gas Tank Capacity - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

GAs Level Display, Gas Mileage, Real Gas Tank Capacity

'08 FJR1300
Hit the reserve at 160 miles. Filled up about six miles after that happened.
It took 3.908 gallons, and doing the math I was getting just a bit over 40 mpg on mixed riding, city (70%) and freeway(30%).
Not bad coming from a 2003 Valkyrie. I had an obsession with that particular model and I had to have one. Rode it for about 13 months.
24-27 mpg around town, 27-30mph freeway. I was always concerned with the range since I enjoy riding in the desert, and that was the main reason I sold it. Beautiful bike, though!

There's no way my '08 FJR has a 6.6 gallon tank, even though that's what is listed for the year and model.
When I fill up, those little bars in the display never go all the way up. I'm missing one or two bars constantly.. I have not tried to fill it up completely, forcing fuel in the gas tank after the pump shuts itself off.

I hope is not too much to ask, but can somebody explain what's going on? I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing these problems.
Thank you, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The problem is....

You are not filing up completely. Your FJR has a 6.6 gal tank, just like every other one that hasn't been modified, you simply aren't utilizing all of it.

You ARE the only one experiencing this problem. Everyone else fills all the way to the top .
JohnC and slowdave like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Are you gassing up on the center stand ?

2020 FJR13ESL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboy View Post
I'm missing one or two bars constantly
Quote:
Originally Posted by calboy View Post
I have not tried to fill it up completely
Well, there's your problem. Pull the nozzle out a bit so it is just inside and slowly fill it the rest of the way (giggidy). Very slowly as it reaches the top. You will be surprised with how much more you can put in.

*Keep a paper towel or a glove handy for when you pull it out to catch the drips.
CGY_Vector_06FJR likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:51 AM
Farkle Trainee

Yep. Fill up until the fuel is at least up to the little plate in the filler hole. And beware that on my 3 FJRs, the amount of fuel left when the light flashed varied from 1.2 to 2.0 gal. Guarantee it holds at least 6.5 gal (filling to the plate). I routinely get 260 miles out of a tank and 300 a few times.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
blast likes this.

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:03 AM
FJR Top Gun

I fill until there is a spoonful of gas laying on the little plate inside the neck with the vent holes.

I just filled up the other day. Went 209.6 miles on that tank, took 4.03 gals to refill with gas sitting on vent plate.
Mr_Ed and ReRose like this.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Farkle Trainee

I agree with others. The way tanks are now with those “plates” under the lid, they cause the pumps to shut off too early unless you are holding the pump at or even slightly above the plate. On all my bikes I fill them so the gas is a little above the plate.
slowdave likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2018 Honda CBR1000rr
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:08 AM
FJR Top Gun

Keep in mind he is a Calboy, and those living in the enlightened state, have those goofy pumps that you have to stick the nozzle in and push down to get gas. Back east here we can hold the end of the pump above that plate and feed the gas into the hole fast or slow depending on need.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
Keep in mind he is a Calboy, and those living in the enlightened state, have those goofy pumps that you have to stick the nozzle in and push down to get gas. Back east here we can hold the end of the pump above that plate and feed the gas into the hole fast or slow depending on need.

You're absolutely right about having to push down in order to be able to pump gas. I live in a righteous state that does everything in its power to make sure we live in perfect harmony with nature!

I'm about three and a half years away from leaving this once beautiful state

I will follow the instructions and try to fill up to the plate next time I stop for gas. Will report on that.
Thank you, guys.
slowdave likes this.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

just because the gauge said i was going empty does not mean it was .. next tank run it till you are out of gass on the side of the road ... have it towed to a gas station and fill it up .....6.4-6.6 gallons ...magic
mobilemike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page