2003 FJR Fuel Pump Kit - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2003 FJR Fuel Pump Kit

Hi everyone. Brand new here. I bought my 2003 FJR last year for $900. It was my first street bike. FJR1300 isn't exactly the ideal "beginner" bike, but I'm really glad I got it. It wasn't running when I bought it, but got it going with a new battery and new gas. It was running like a dream, when one day, I started it and it died at the bottom of my driveway. I ruled out ignition by confirming good spark to all cylinders. I initially ruled out fuel, because I could hear the pump start up. I had about given up, when just out of sheer luck, my son was trying to start it as I was pulling the wiring harness out of the relay assembly (under the seat), and it roared to life. I chalked it up to a bad connection, so I checked each wire, then packed the harness with dialectric grease. When this started, I also noted that the amount of time that the pump ran just about doubled. I've since learned that this bike briefly runs the fuel pump in reverse to clear the strainer, so maybe that's what I was hearing earlier. Still not comfortable with an intermittent problem and no obvious root cause I decided to replace the fuel pump motor just in case.

I bought the "kit" from Amazon and replaced the motor yesterday. Seemed very straight forward, except none of the 4 or 5 strainers they gave me was an exact fit. I ordered a new one and I'm expecting it any day now. Put it all back together and it started right up . . . . except that when I give it gas, it dies. It also idles lower and more roughly. So I took out the assembly, took it apart, re-assembled it and put it back several times. No joy. Then, just to get it running, I put the old motor back in. Same problem. Okay, so somehow I messed up putting the housing back together.

Between disassembling and reassembling the thing a couple dozen times and staring at pictures of the fuel pump housing, I think my problem is an small o-ring in the housing body that connects the top half and bottom half of the housing. That o-ring is supposed to seal the passage between the pump motor output and the fuel line. I'm going to try to find a replacement o-ring and lube it with silicone grease.

Wish me luck. I really love this bike, although I don't have much of a frame of reference. I bought my son a 1998 FZR600 for $1000 that I brought back from the dead. I took my skills test on some kind of loaner Harley. Those are the only other street bikes that I've ever ridden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Fixed it! Unfortunately, I did not take pictures, but I will do my best to describe it in case someone buys a replacement pump motor online. It was the o-ring that I described above. Nothing wrong with it, but I didn't install it properly when I put the housing back together. The lower (larger) part of the housing has a female tube that goes to the pressure side with the quick connect fitting for the fuel line. The upper (and smaller) part of the housing has a male tube with a shoulder or "lip" on it. When you take the housing apart, the o-ring might stay in the female part. If that happens, dig the o-ring out (careful, there is a "T" shaped thingamabob that might fall out. It only goes back in 1 way) and put it on the male part of the smaller part of the housing. Back in business, baby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page