adding acessories - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2020, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

adding acessories

I have a 2020 1300 and would like to use a magnetic mount on the aluminum 36 mm nut, by adding a magnet or steel washer under that steering nut. It looks like the flange on the nut is what is securing the steering stem. Is there room for either inside that nut? Also what is the torque spec. for the install? Thanks

2020 FJR13ESL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 09:41 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Won't be secure enough out in the wild. Too much jostling and such so that it's a matter of when instead of if it will let go. Better to get a threaded replacement nut to mount a Ram ball in.

There are others, but here's an example.

https://www.techmounts.com/uploads/d..._accessory.pdf
Ace Handler and blast like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks for your reply. I have a new 36mm nut. A 1" fender washer inside the cap holds the mag mount quite well. The torque value is 85 ft. #, so I'm gonna put some clay in the inside and torque the nut down to see if there is room for a rare earth magnet disc. I can weld a riser on that nut similar to a ram mount but would prefer not to have a peg in my face. Your option may be the best alternative.

2020 FJR13ESL

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2020, 08:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Anything "inside" the nut will affect how the torque values affect the "interface". The problem is that if you lube threads then you have to lower the tq from the recommended by some unknown amount. With clay, would you tq less or more? How could you know which would be right?

Is the magnet shielded from your electronics? Rare earth magnets are strong enough to flip bits inside electronics (or degauss them).
blast likes this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

After removing the nut and measuring the steering stem and nut there is room for a .125 solid steel disc. The garmin magnetic mount is quite good but does fall short. The dealer does not think it will have any negative affect using a rare earth magnet. I would be on my own if it does. My next move will be welding a threaded aluminum short piece to the nut.
Ace Handler likes this.

2020 FJR13ESL
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
This is all a great idea. I'm going to remove the OEM stem nut (36mm socket off eBay for $10) and drill a hole in the center to mount a 17mm ball for my Garmin. I'll use a SS bolt and probably a 3" piece of SS tubing to get the unit up high enough to fit between my bars. Or I might bend the rig towards the gas tank. Whatever keeps the mounting stem the shortest to reduce the potential for vibration. Much better than the mess I've got on there now for sure. Any feedback would be welcome.
blast likes this.

Rubber down, shiny up! And remember, not everyone out there is trying to harm you!

'64 Huffy Stingray passion purple (dearly departed)
'71 skateboard with 3 wheels
'05 FJR1300A ABS (looks like some PO ran it through a mess of barbed-wire fencing!)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2020, 10:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The magnetic field strength decreases at a square of the distance... unless it's got some ferrous metal touching both the magnet, the mount, and the device to facility conduction. The stronger the field, the farther from the magnet the [thing with electronics in it] should be.

Might I suggest you test the magnet touching something other than your GPS (but similar in guts) that you don't mind bricking before going out and depending on it during a trip. I suspect (but don't know) that the strength of rare earth magnets in close proximity to a GPS might affect it's radio reception (like jamming the signal).
mattemike and blast like this.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

Last edited by bounce; 08-16-2020 at 09:58 AM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

The magnetic strenght did not increase from the galvanized fender washer to the .125 metal disc. What did work very well was, I drilled and tapped the 36mm nut and an aluminum round stock 1" in diameter and about .800 long. I modified the garmin gps to accept 1/4-20 threaded rod. My GPS sits low and is not in the way. Pictures to follow. The hole in the nut should be drilled in a lathe to assure the centering of the gps screen.

2020 FJR13ESL
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

It might be better to use 1/4-28 thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR 034.jpg (130.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FJR 032.jpg (137.5 KB, 19 views)

2020 FJR13ESL
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-16-2020, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

snap on bracket for garmin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FJR 032.jpg (137.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg FJR 029.jpg (112.1 KB, 19 views)
1Gifford1 likes this.

2020 FJR13ESL

Last edited by blast; 08-16-2020 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page