3Likes
  • 1 Post By Little Joe
  • 1 Post By Charles.Robinson
  • 1 Post By RaYzerman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Fjr abs query

Hello im new to forum, I have just purchased a 2005 FJR1300A which has ABS decals on front fender.My friend reckons it does not have ABS! as a non technical owner how can i be sure it has ABS on bike? Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Put it on Center stand and let rear tire turn in gear with engine running. ABS light should come on dash a wheel speeds differ.

This will turn off after you ride a few feet with both tires rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
passx likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 02:22 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Do a Google Image Search for "FJR ABS sensor" so you know what they look like, then go check and see if you have ABS sensors on your front/rear wheels. There are probably other ways (I imagine that some kind of ABS test light comes up on the dash when you turn on the ignition) but that's the quickest/simplest way to check.
slowdave likes this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

ABS light should come on with ignition and stay lit until you're moving. Wheel sensors are another clue, and if you remove the right side cover, should find an ABS pump in there with lotsa plumbing.
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:10 AM
Farkle Trainee

What Ray said. If your bike has ABS brakes, there will be an ABS light in the bottom center of the instrument cluster below the speedometer.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ABS.GIF (41.5 KB, 11 views)

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
2004 Yamaha FJR1300 (sold)
2000 Kawasaki Concours (sold)
...etc.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mussie012 View Post
Hello im new to forum, I have just purchased a 2005 FJR1300A which has ABS decals on front fender.My friend reckons it does not have ABS! as a non technical owner how can i be sure it has ABS on bike?
If your model is an A, it came with ABS. The ABS block/pump is under the rider's seat on the right side, accessible under the silver panel. If you take that off, and there is a silver metal block with brake lines, that is absolute confirmation. ABS bikes also have a sensor ring on each wheel, and I think an extra wire for that sensor.

That said, the rear ABS on 2005 and earlier often stopped functioning if the brakes were not regularly and meticulously flushed while cycling the ABS pump. The rear ABS on my 2005 does not work. My front ABS works fine. Since the front wheel does more than 80% of the stopping on bikes like this, I simply stopped using the rear brake to avoid having the rear lock and come around.

You can test your rear ABS by trying to lock the rear wheel. If it locks, the ABS doesn't work. If the ABS works, you may feel the pedal pulsing. Testing the front is more . . . challenging. If you know of a very smooth gravel road, you could try there. The front brake lever will pulse, though if you are grabbing hard you might not notice it. Gradually increase braking...

If you update your profile to post your location, someone near you might have the ABS cycling electronics...

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES getting set up!
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone

Last edited by Ludwig61; 07-29-2020 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Remove extra blank lines
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The other way of testing the ABS is via the diagnostic connector by shorting the sky blue and black or using an ABS test harness. If the rear doesn't pulse, there's a problem, and as Ludwig says, Gen1 ABS was much more prone to issues with the rear. '06-'07 also prone. '08-'12 got a different system/pump, Gen3 got another revision. But, best cycle the ABS annually, at brake bleeding time and you'll save all the headaches and $$.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page