2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2012 Hard to put on Center Stand

Hi all, newbie here and wondering where I can find specs for my new ride. I just picked up a 2012 and having a bitch to put It on center stand. My first thought was the bike was lowered. I have a 36” inseam so I don’t want it lowered. My front end is very easy to see that my forks are level to the tree but the rear I measure the dogbone to be ~7.5” center to center of bolts. Something is going on because as soon as I put the front wheel on a 3/4” plywood I can use the center stand very easily. Appreciate any ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 01:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Dogbones stock @ 190mm/7.5"... Fork tubes flush to top of triple clamp, aren't lowered. Rear shock spring allowing some sag, more difficult. Many have put plywood under a wheel. Many will tell you about technique. Gen3 shock will help with its higher spring rate. Shorter dogbones will raise the rear (roughly 2.7:1 ratio). 190/55 rear tire will raise rear by 1/4"+ (differing OD's of tires).

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 02:53 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I don't know your bike history so I don't want to insult you by talking too basic. It really comes down to technique. I came from a much lighter bike and found it pretty hard putting the FJR on the center stand the first few times. But, just keep practicing and you'll find that right movement that works for you. Before writing this I went to my garage and did it so I could offer some insight, but... I can't. I stand the bike up, put my left hand on the handlebar, right on my Givi bracket or the actual handle under the seat and my foot on the center stand. It is a subtle combination of the speed you do it, to the pulling from the left hand on the handlebar, to the downward stepping on the stand, to lifting the bike. I would say the most important is the single fluid movement - you can't "lift" it on the stand, you kind of swing it onto the stand in a single motion.

I just put it on the stand on with bare feet - so I would say it is not much to do with the downward stepping pressure. It is probably most to do with the left hand/arm pulling motion if I had to judge my movement.

Edit: I just did it a few more times and I think I am stepping down more than I thought and that is probably most of the motion... but, the key is that it is a single swinging motion

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x

Last edited by lue42; 07-23-2020 at 02:59 PM.

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 03:55 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

2012 Hard to put on Center Stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfix60 View Post
Hi all, newbie here and wondering where I can find specs for my new ride. I just picked up a 2012 and having a bitch to put It on center stand. Something is going on because as soon as I put the front wheel on a 3/4” plywood I can use the center stand very easily. Appreciate any ideas....
Msfix60,

I recommend having some beefy assistance ready at first, while you practice this move. Strong shoes (boots) will help. Look under the edge of the seat, and mark (crayons OK) where the dedicated frame hand-grip is located under there. Right hand on the frame grip, left hand on the handledar grip, and your dominant foot on the centerstand pedal. The motion is upward and rearward with the bike, but don't be lifting the bike, so much as trying to make more separation (distance) between the frame grip and the centerstand pedal. Your full weight can be on that pedal. Put a long board on the pedal to start out and practice the move, if that helps. Put a board (2x4) under the rear wheel, if that helps. After you get the movement correct, you can eliminate the pedal board, then eliminate the 2x4 (or just use a thinner board there). Again, solo practice is not recommended; if you have any trouble, it's good to have somebody on the other side of the bike if needed.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Whether the above advice posts work for you or not, know that it is not just you. I've been putting bikes on center stands since the '70s and have owned my bike since 2008 and can tell you this-

most of the time it's everything I can do to put this bike on the center stand. It has nothing to do with technique. No amount of youtube or practice is going to make a difference. Anyone who has a 2013+ and says it's easy has a different center stand. Theirs is shorter, of course it's easier. Some days it's impossible to center stand this bike without putting a tire up onto a piece of wood. Some will tell you a taller tire or a new shock absorber will help. Trust me, they will not.
passx, Kelvin and rockman1950 like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I used to have a hard time with the center stand too when I first got my bike. I had to have my son pull up on the tail. But after struggling with lifting with my right hand on the grip next to the seat and my left hand on the handle bars I step on the center stand and push down with my foot harder than pulling up with my right hand and up it goes, easy peasy after practice. I use my center stand 99% of the time now. Just keep practicing you’ll get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slowdave likes this.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I don't have a problem putting mine on the center stand. Maybe because I'm heavier (250lbs)? I position it, stand the bike up straight and grab the handle under the back seat. Then in one fluid motion, stand up on the part sticking out of the center stand with some force and pull your weight down using the back handle. If you do it quickly, it's easy to do first time every time. If you try to daintily stand on it first and then pull on the back handle you'll give yourself a hernia. I also use my center stand pretty much exclusively now. I only use the side stand to get off the bike.

I can tell you this, when I owned my BMW K1200LT, I only ever got that bike on the center stand ONCE with help. The FJR is so easy compared to it.

If you like I can make a video of it real quick. I don't have a solid floor in my garage though so I've got an 18" x 18" metal plate that's about 3/8" thick on the floor that I use to put it on.

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a harder time putting my Vstrom up on the center stand and it weighs 200# less then the FJR.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

I had a K1200 LT. It was a none issue Center standing it. Easier than the FJR.
Far worse was my C10 Concours.
Here’s the thing that will fight you... technique..

Left hand on hand grip. Right hand on grap handle under seat. NOW right foot on Center stand, and step down until it touches floor. Then while still holding Center stand against floor, stand bike up straight until you fell opposite side foot of stand contact floor.
(Now both feet of stand are equally touching floor. )
Now step down with all your weight on stand while lifting with right hand.
(The majority of work is done with right leg).
Pops right up NP. Note I am l only 5,8”.

My C10 required a 6” rolling start to centerstand.

Trick is making sure it’s standing straight up and use your leg muscle. Much easier on the back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
slowdave likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 07:13 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yeah, I forgot the part of making sure both sides of the center stand are touching the floor first before putting your weight on it.

I think I did give myself a hernia trying to get the KLT on the center stand. Maybe I had bad technique or maybe it was the location I was trying to do it. It was just a stupidly heavy bike.

2007 FJR1300A
2000 BMW K1200LT
1992 Vulcan 500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page