2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Page 6 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Center stand

All I know is the 2007 and the design/balance or whatever the engineers came up with is real close. I put a 1/4" piece of plywood under the center stand to protect a painted floor and there was no way I was going to get it on the center stand. Remove that 1/4", goes up no problem but not easy. I agree with the other post that the bike needs to be straight up with both legs of the stand on the floor and level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have had FJRs for over ten years now. First the bike is on the side stand, then off the side stand to the center position, keeping it balanced while I put the center stand down so each side touches the ground, then I simply stand on it. Works all the time even with soft soled shoes. Granted, I am 6' 00" tall and 230 but that is how I do it. No trouble at all.

Hope six pages of posts helps! Who would have thunk this would generate six pages.
bounce likes this.
post #53 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:17 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

me too - but learned to facecbackwards

I also struggled with 2014 getting to center stand. My son figured out and showed me to stand facing rear of bike.
Left foot on center stand, reach back with left hand to pull, and grab with right hand under seat, or crash bar on saddle bag if you have it. I am older, under 200lbs. But actually do lift weights to stay strong enough to manage this beast.
My Goldwing never was this difficult, course I was younger then.

2014 FJR1300A

post #54 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 07:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

There is a hand-hold at the side cover attach point where you can lift, but I never really thought it was all that useful.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #55 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 07:40 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
LOL ....

I know a gentleman who rode a '12 model when I got my '13, and he could centerstand his. He was, as I recall, 5'1" tall.

I don't know if he was a member of this forum, though. Is there a list of members somewhere?

Tools/Members List

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #56 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Tools/Members List
Thank you, sir.

I did manage to find that, but it says "No longer available."
bounce likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #57 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I destroyed the centerstand on my '02 last week...tore the metal like a pretzel. I was going to just weld it, but now I think I'll shorten it first.

I'll measure the rear tire gap on my friend's '02, then cut a tad less than 1/2 the measurement (assuming the stand is located midway on the wheelbase).

All the comments confirm my suspicions about it being a symphony of standing, lifting the handle, and pulling back on the handgrip.

In my 48+ years of riding, I've never met a bike more challenging to centerstand...it's an absolute monster. Makes my Yamaha 650 Turbo feel like a 100cc dirtbike!

But, unleashing its raw, unaided, visceral torque into glorious wheelies and catching a clutchless 2nd in the air feels better than anything I've ever felt here on Earth.

With lane splitting allowed in CA, I must've done 30 wheelies off stoplights on PCH from Costa Mesa to see the Queen Mary yesterday...one, in front of an HB cop, too! (luckily, he was going the other way...whew).
post #58 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-31-2020, 10:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

It's all technique. Prior to my first 04 FJR I had an '87 Concours. Now THAT sucker was a bitch to put on the C-stand. The first time I did my FJR it went skidding backwards 12" once up I used so much force.

If you simply lift up and step down, it's going to be a bitch. You need a motion that gets the bike moving backwards.
bounce and Little Joe like this.

Purveyor of crooked facts
post #59 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkooterG View Post
It's all technique. Prior to my first 04 FJR I had an '87 Concours. Now THAT sucker was a bitch to put on the C-stand. The first time I did my FJR it went skidding backwards 12" once up I used so much force.

If you simply lift up and step down, it's going to be a bitch. You need a motion that gets the bike moving backwards.
I looked at an older model at the Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Yamaha dealer. It was in the showroom on a polished concrete floor. I centerstanded it and did the same thing. I was used to the Goldwing and stepped down so hard it skidded backward. The lady showing it to me let out a little yelp like she though I was bringing the whole row down.

I push a little rearward on the pedal too. It's like a lever that rotates around a fulcrum.
bounce likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #60 of 68 (permalink) Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
Thank you, sir.
I did manage to find that, but it says "No longer available."
Sadly a function of the commercial purchase of the site.

Quote:
I looked at an older model at the Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Yamaha dealer. It was in the showroom on a polished concrete floor. I centerstanded it and did the same thing. I was used to the Goldwing and stepped down so hard it skidded backward.

Same here. The 03 FJR slid back a foot or more. LOL It's one of the easier liter-plus bikes to center that I've owned.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bounce; 08-01-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page