2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 10:41 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
I'll tell you how I fixed my center stand effort required issue on my 2010. I bought a new center stand for a generation 3 FJR and problem solved. The gen3 stand is about 5/8" higher than a gen2 stand so with the gen3 stand it's like putting a 5/8" piece of plywood under the rear tire. I think it cost around a hundred bucks or so. Sure made a difference.

I just bought a 16 and its way easier to get on the center stand than the 05 I just sold. ****, thought I was just getting stronger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

Another tip for those that struggle getting the FJR on the center stand is to lighten the load a bit by removing both side cases. It's not much weight, but it does seem to me to make a bit of a difference in the effort it takes to center stand my 09.
bounce and John d like this.

1987 Yamaha Venture to 88,256 miles...crashed
2009 FJR 36500 miles and counting
post #43 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

As a motorcycle instructor, I've seen people struggle to get a 125cc bike on the center stand. Not just the vertically challenged light-weights, but guys who are well over 6' tall and 200+ lbs. Often times they are trying too hard to lift the bike with their right hand and/or pull the bike back with both hands. Most of the work is done with the right foot - get the ball of the foot on the stand and use your thigh muscle and body weight to push down while lifting up with your right hand. As long as both feet of the stand are firmly on the ground you can even put all your weight down on the stand with your left foot off the ground. Get your body weight directly over your right foot. Your left hand on the handlebar is just there to keep the front wheel straight. Push down hard through your right foot and pull up with your right hand in one motion. I'm 5'8 with a 30" inseam and 195(ish) lbs. I enjoy long walks along the beach and..., no, wait. Anyway, I do not find my '06 FJR difficult to get on the center stand. That being said, it does take some practice to get the technique down (and the bike up).

Zwartie
bounce likes this.

post #44 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:35 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

My 2015 is lowered and I am short. I do carry a 2x4 under the seat, cut to fit in the tray under the seat, fits perfectly. I had no problem before it was lowered, but only once was I able to get it on the stand afterwards.

2015 FJR1300A
2003 Hayabusa
post #45 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 10:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
My 2015 is lowered and I am short. I do carry a 2x4 under the seat, cut to fit in the tray under the seat, fits perfectly. I had no problem before it was lowered, but only once was I able to get it on the stand afterwards.
I keep a couple of short lengths in my shop for my ZRX. There's no way I can get it on the front stand without the 2x4. I cut one end on a 45 degree angle to make it easier to bump up on it. It's a lot easier than the square edge.
2014oldred likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #46 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Once again, the need to change each and every thing in the world around them instead of chasing the one fix that fixes everything else.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 08:20 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

LOL ....

I know a gentleman who rode a '12 model when I got my '13, and he could centerstand his. He was, as I recall, 5'1" tall.

I don't know if he was a member of this forum, though. Is there a list of members somewhere?

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #48 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:05 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed View Post
I'd like to know his height / inseam measurement. I'm 5'9" and can barely touch the ground with both feet while on the bike -- much less push down enough to centerstand it.

FWIW, I lost my footing and dropped my 1800 Goldwing on a hill in front of my house several years ago. It was highside down. I was so mad I picked it right back up. Then I was standing there on the downhill side of it where the sidestand wouldn't work and wondering what to do now. It was in gear, so I used the clutch and feathered it enough to roll it back around me to get it level so I could get the stand down. But yeah, if a person is sufficiently irritated they get stronger.
I'm around 5'9", wear a 30" inseam and weigh 210. Bike is a 2008 A model. It's harder to do than with my Gen1 FZ1 but can still be done. Rock the bike by the raised lever on the center stand while pulling on the bars in sync. As the bike goes backward, grab the front brake so as not to lose the distance just gained. In 2 or maybe three attempts, it will be on the stand. A word of caution though, if the LH pipe is hot, you will be burned if any bare skin touches it, I'm nursing a nice one right now. The exhaust is all on the RH side on the FZ1 and I wasn't aware at the time that my leg would touch it on the FJR. I've been doing this so long it's the only way I could probably do it now.
This isn't a strength thing at all, it's all about using and storing the motion of rocking the bike, and without using the front brake as described, I'm sure I couldn't do it. I can put up a video if needed or anyone interested could try this exactly as described and you'll see that it can be done.
post #49 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 01:10 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I'm around 5'9", wear a 30" inseam and weigh 210. Bike is a 2008 A model. It's harder to do than with my Gen1 FZ1 but can still be done. Rock the bike by the raised lever on the center stand while pulling on the bars in sync. As the bike goes backward, grab the front brake so as not to lose the distance just gained. In 2 or maybe three attempts, it will be on the stand. A word of caution though, if the LH pipe is hot, you will be burned if any bare skin touches it, I'm nursing a nice one right now. The exhaust is all on the RH side on the FZ1 and I wasn't aware at the time that my leg would touch it on the FJR. I've been doing this so long it's the only way I could probably do it now.
This isn't a strength thing at all, it's all about using and storing the motion of rocking the bike, and without using the front brake as described, I'm sure I couldn't do it. I can put up a video if needed or anyone interested could try this exactly as described and you'll see that it can be done.
It makes sense. That's how I back up in places where I can't pull it. Front brake, push forward to compress the front forks, release front brake, and the stored energy will push it back a couple of inches. Repeat.

I'm also 5'9" with about a 30" inseam, but I'm only 180 pounds. I still have no confidence I can do it. But I'll try.
justacrossthehill likes this.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #50 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-30-2020, 06:14 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a 2012 and it is as described above. I used to have to have someone assist me but now I can do it myself. It is a heavy bike and requires you to stand hard on the centerstand to get it up there. Push down hard as you can on the center stand and pull up and back on the handle. I take the bags off too since I am doing it to work on the bike and the bags get in the way anyway.
bounce likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page