2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 09:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I bought my 1st FJR just yesterday. I've been putting Gen1 FZ1's on the center stand for years while sitting on the bike so I tried it yesterday with the FJR while the previous owner watched. When I did it, he didn't seem to believe what he'd just witnessed. All you have to do is rock the bike backward while pushing down on the stand with the left foot. I always grab the front brake so the bike doesn't roll forward and lose what just I gained in the 1st attempt. A lot of times one try is all it takes and always by the 2nd, it's on the stand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Well as my user name states I am a weight lifter .. I am 6'2 240 d fairly lean and way stronger then your average man ....and I have a bitch of a time getting the FJR and my bandit on the center stand ..finally last week developed a technique of rocking it several times and then a big pull up and back ... it is 100 pounds heavier then my Bandit ..but easier to get on the center stand ... doing my best to not rip a bicep or shoulder LOL
BTW I have seen Brian Glyn ( two wheel obession ) do bare foot with his
post #33 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 05:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way8lifter View Post
Well as my user name states I am a weight lifter .. I am 6'2 240 d fairly lean and way stronger then your average man ....and I have a bitch of a time getting the FJR and my bandit on the center stand ..finally last week developed a technique of rocking it several times and then a big pull up and back ... it is 100 pounds heavier then my Bandit ..but easier to get on the center stand ... doing my best to not rip a bicep or shoulder LOL
BTW I have seen Brian Glyn ( two wheel obession ) do bare foot with his
I had an XS750 years back that I couldn't centerstand -- I could then suddenly I couldn't. The dealer in Little Rock at the time was a dude everyone called Big Jim -- there's a clue for you. He went out one day to show me how and HE couldn't centerstand it. It turned out the centerstand had gotten bent somehow. I replaced it, and all was good.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

post #34 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 08:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

Kinda surprised by the number of people that have difficulty getting it on the center stand. My only other suggestion is are you fully committing to the motion as described in this thread? I could see if someone was nervous and not fully commiting it could be difficult. I would liken it to the martial arts video clips of someone breaking a block of wood with their hand. The only way that works is by fully commiting to that swift and deliberate motion. If you are a bit nervous about the bike falling over, know that as long as you have your foot and weight on the center stand and both legs of the center stand are touching down the bike cannot tip over.
RaYzerman likes this.

2016 ES
post #35 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 09:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

All you 2x4-under-the-stand people carry spare 2x4s with you when on trips? I would suggest learning to do it the easy way without such things. Skirt can do a K1200LT and she isn't 100 lbs soaking wet.

https://www.womenridersnow.com/pages...Technique.aspx

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a hernia that needs fixin', but I can still hoist the '08 onto the center stand no problem. Push down with your foot till both legs of the center stand balance equally, no pulling toward you or pushing away from you. The more balanced it is during the lift, the easier it is to get up. Once weight is applied to the center stand, the bike can't fall over unless you let go, or you're not on level ground.

However;
New tires help - makes the bike taller
Sturdy shoe soles help
You could roll the wheels up onto two pieces of plywood to help you learn the technique.
If you pull the bike sideways toward you during the lift, it's near impossible - don't do that.
bounce and Little Joe like this.
post #37 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 12:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'll tell you how I fixed my center stand effort required issue on my 2010. I bought a new center stand for a generation 3 FJR and problem solved. The gen3 stand is about 5/8" higher than a gen2 stand so with the gen3 stand it's like putting a 5/8" piece of plywood under the rear tire. I think it cost around a hundred bucks or so. Sure made a difference.
FJRChuck, rbentnail, passx and 2 others like this.

2010 FJR1300A
1993 BMW R1100RSL (mint)
2011 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2008 Ford Escape
post #38 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 07:39 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacrossthehill View Post
I bought my 1st FJR just yesterday. I've been putting Gen1 FZ1's on the center stand for years while sitting on the bike so I tried it yesterday with the FJR while the previous owner watched. When I did it, he didn't seem to believe what he'd just witnessed. All you have to do is rock the bike backward while pushing down on the stand with the left foot. I always grab the front brake so the bike doesn't roll forward and lose what just I gained in the 1st attempt. A lot of times one try is all it takes and always by the 2nd, it's on the stand.
I would love to see a video of you doing this, may learn something. What year of Fjr ?

On lifting the bike when dropped, has anyone actually been able to do this ? The reason I ask is when I dropped my fjr at a light on a trip I tried this and was completely unable to lift it and required 2 others to do it. When I got home I laid it over in the grass to try to figure out how to do this and still couldn’t lift it.

Now I’ll add that when I dropped at the intersection there was something slick on the pavement which is why I dropped it in the first place ( foot just slid out from under me) but even if it had not been wet & slick I don’t believe I could have lifted it.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-28-2020 at 07:51 AM.
post #39 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yup. Have also picked up HDs, BMWs, GL1100-GL1500 Wings, and more.

Use the technique above and you should be able to do what Skert does.

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 08:56 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I would love to see a video of you doing this, may learn something. What year of Fjr ?

On lifting the bike when dropped, has anyone actually been able to do this ? The reason I ask is when I dropped my fjr at a light on a trip I tried this and was completely unable to lift it and required 2 others to do it. When I got home I laid it over in the grass to try to figure out how to do this and still couldnít lift it.

Now Iíll add that when I dropped at the intersection there was something slick on the pavement which is why I dropped it in the first place ( foot just slid out from under me) but even if it had not been wet & slick I donít believe I could have lifted it.
I'd like to know his height / inseam measurement. I'm 5'9" and can barely touch the ground with both feet while on the bike -- much less push down enough to centerstand it.

FWIW, I lost my footing and dropped my 1800 Goldwing on a hill in front of my house several years ago. It was highside down. I was so mad I picked it right back up. Then I was standing there on the downhill side of it where the sidestand wouldn't work and wondering what to do now. It was in gear, so I used the clutch and feathered it enough to roll it back around me to get it level so I could get the stand down. But yeah, if a person is sufficiently irritated they get stronger.
bounce likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page