2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 04:58 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm a sit on, kickstand up in neutral and rock forward guy. Seems way easier to me.
Dubfjr likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I’m like Russ on getting it off the center stand, most of the time because of my back problems I step up onto the lh foot peg which makes it easier to swing my rh leg over the seat, sometimes put my right knee on the seat to get my balance before swinging my leg over.

I never have the side stand down as most bikes I have or had when rolled off the center stand will bottom against the side stand which shoots the bike to the right and has nearly caused me to drop my bike on the right side, I don’t leave the side stand down, doesn’t work for me.

Another reason for not leaving the side stand down is when I have rolled it off the centerstand while off the bike is that i had the side stand come down on the top of my left foot. On my previous 86 Goldwing once with the side stand down and rolled off the c-stand, the side stand landed on top of my left foot I could feel every Pound of its 800lbs, walked with a bit of a limp for a while after that one.

So anyway I always put the side stand up. I would love to see the guy in the video demo an fjr instead of the tall GS used, I don’t think he could do it quite as easily As he demo’d. My .02

Last edited by passx; 07-26-2020 at 09:01 AM.
post #23 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 10:39 AM
Training wheels fitted!

I'm 5' 8" and 145lbs and can get the FJR on the center stand OK, it's getting down that's the hard part for me. I feel more in control sitting on the bike than standing next to it when it comes down.

My GS850 weighs 660lbs and I have to use a 2x4 block under it which makes it super easy to lower the stand. In fact it's so easy with the block I wondered if I could do it without dismounting.

Roger

2003 FJR1300A
1983 GS850G

post #24 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
I'm 5' 8" and 145lbs and can get the FJR on the center stand OK, it's getting down that's the hard part for me. I feel more in control sitting on the bike than standing next to it when it comes down.

My GS850 weighs 660lbs and I have to use a 2x4 block under it which makes it super easy to lower the stand. In fact it's so easy with the block I wondered if I could do it without dismounting. It worked!

Just put side stand down. Roll bike off Center stand , standing beside it. Side stand there to act as backup. It will not come close to grounding side stand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #25 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 11:12 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burque73 View Post
I can sit on the bike, both feet on the pegs, and just lean back and pull the bars hard enough to bounce the rear tire off the ground. It'll roll forward enough that it'll roll off the stand with both feet still on the pegs. I do outweigh you about 35 pounds, and I've got a '13. But it'd be worth a try.
bounce likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #26 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 11:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Lol. These big guys donít know what itís like to be 5í8Ē and 145lbs.

If my wife sits on pillion seat with bike on Center stand the front tire still will not lift.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #27 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 01:22 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Joe View Post
Lol. These big guys donít know what itís like to be 5í8Ē and 145lbs.

If my wife sits on pillion seat with bike on Center stand the front tire still will not lift.

LOL. I'm proud to be holding 180 now. I weighed 145 when I got married in 1972. I was motocrossing at the time, and that kept the weight off.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #28 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:03 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks Mr Ed... taking the slack out of the drive train makes all the difference for me.!! I was wondering why sometimes the bike popped up on the center stand with little or no effort but most times it felt like someone was sitting on the bike !!! After rolling the bike forward (in first gear) to take the slack out of the drive train, i put the bike up 4 times in a row with very little effort. Thanks for the great tip !!! (I just turned 70 and am trying to maintain my weigh at 175 lbs)
Mr_Ed likes this.

Larry

2018 FJR1600A

Last edited by rockman1950; 07-26-2020 at 08:22 PM.
post #29 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I suppose we should mention putting it in neutral before putting it up on the centerstand?

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #30 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-26-2020, 08:49 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I suppose we should mention putting it in neutral before putting it up on the centerstand?
That's what I do, but like rockman said above, just pushing forward to get the slack out is usually enough.

If you look at the video posted above, every time he centerstanded it the rear wheel rolled back a very short amount. If the bike is rolled back against that stop before attempting to centerstand it, that can make all the difference.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page