2012 Hard to put on Center Stand - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 07:25 AM
Farkle Trainee

There is a science to designing centerstands and while some manufacturers get it right and some really get it wrong Yamaha is very hit and miss. The pre Ď13 FJRs are not easy, the later bikes are better, the FZ1s just about jump on the centerstands and Super Teneres take 2 men and a boy to get the bike on it. My Multistrada was great my KTM is the worst and once I muscle the bike on the centerstand I fear itís going to collapse because itís designed so flimsy. Centerstand design is a combination of 3 things, balance point on the bike, length of the centerstand and shape of the feet. We canít change the mounting point on the bike but we can modify the other 2. You need to be able to weld or know a good welder. As long as you donít change the length of the spring attachment or where the centerstand hits the bump stop on the bike you can shorten it. A little bit goes a long way and you need to check how high the rear wheel is off the ground so you know how much you have to play with. This is definitely a case where the rule measure twice check everything three times and then cut counts. Put the rear wheel on a 1/4Ē or 3/8 piece of wood/metal whatever you have around and put the bike on the centerstand to get an idea of how much easier it will work for you before deciding on length. I have shortened several and with proper planning all have come out well. It takes a lot of thought before you get started and a lot of monkeying when you cut but itís worth the effort. Iím doing the one on the KTM in the near future.
Kelvin likes this.

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 08:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

misfit, this is one of those things that since I joined this forum that there just isn’t a simple, easy, clear fix. After buying my 14a I thought it was fairly easy to center stand it, not as easy as the 86 g-wing which was about 200lbs heavier, But much easier than my Naked 76 g-wing which is about 100lbs lighter. Makes no sense at all.

Some is technique because since I’ve had my recent bout of back problems the once easy to use center stand on my 14 is now an SOB to use with me just saying f-it and leaving it on the side stand a lot.

Donk’ s advice above is pretty good about shortening it or maybe find a gen3 stand, one thing I’ve found is that most c-stands when first started actually start on the front edge of the feet, for some time now I’ve been welding a piece of angle iron to extend the front edge so that when you push the stand down it starts on the radius instead of on the edge and it just rolls up on the extended radius. It is on my “to do” list for my 14 for the next oil change since using the center stand has become difficult on my bike.

I have done this on several of my bikes now and it really helps. Sorry but there just doesn’t seem to be an easy “fix” for this,but practice MAY help.
Little Joe and Kelvin like this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-24-2020 at 08:07 AM.
post #13 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:00 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

This

and for extra points

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 11:13 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm 73 years old and have a bad back, and I can centerstand mine with tennis shoes on. It hurts the bottom of my foot, but when I'm being too lazy to go in the house to put real shoes on, I can do it.

It definitely helps to raise the bike. I broke my arm several years ago, and for a while after getting it out of the cast I couldn't centerstand my FJ1200. With a piece of 1/2" plywood under the rear tire I could -- without it there was no way. Just that little bit of head start was all I needed. Usually people raise the rear wheel, but MsFix60 used 3/4" under the front wheel, so that still raised the centerstand.

One other hint I'd offer is try it in neutral. If I try in low gear without rolling forward to get the driveline slack out I can't do it. I suppose the rear wheel must roll a tiny bit before it leaves the ground.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100

Last edited by Mr_Ed; 07-26-2020 at 11:08 AM.
post #15 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 12:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Didn't read everything here but one more tip: while you want to make sure both centerstand feet are touching the ground, don't preload it and put weight on that centerstand tang until the big motion. You need the early easy part of that swing for momentum. If you have it already statically lifted even a little, it is MUCH harder to get it up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #16 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 01:53 PM
Farkle Trainee

Out of curiosity, do you guys take it off the center stand like is demonstrated in the video posted above? Looks way dangerous to me as it would seem too easy for the bike to fall away from you to the right. I just get on it and rock it forward off the stand keeping two feet on the ground. I’m 6’ so maybe my approach doesn’t work for those vertically challenged. Also, I put it in neutral so it can roll a little bit and not come to an abrupt stop which I feel can cause a tip over. Your hands are on the bars using my method so you can easily grab some brake if it starts rolling too much.

2016 ES

Last edited by ZX-11; 07-24-2020 at 02:04 PM.
post #17 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
...like is demonstrated in the video posted above?
I do it exactly like the video... make sure the kickstand is down and push forward.

Everyone should be comfortable holding your bike upright and maneuvering it. If not, put it in neutral and walk around in a parking lot doing figure 8's for a bit. Get used to its weight and center of balance.
bounce likes this.

Current bike: 2015 FJR1300A
Previous bike: 2014 NC750x
post #18 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think I will be sticking with my two feet on the ground while on the bike method lol
Mr_Ed and Dubfjr like this.

2016 ES
post #19 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-11 View Post
I think I will be sticking with my two feet on the ground while on the bike method lol
Me too. I see no need to make an extremely easy task into a sort of easy task

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #20 of 66 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thatís one way to have a love affair with your bike. Never dismount. Where do you live and whatís your wifeís name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page