Cracks in Rear Subframe - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just, it’s just a crap shoot as to whether or not it has a cracked subframe. There’s a number here that have many miles on their fjr’s and nothing special done and have not had an issue, so there’s just no garantee one way or another.

For me and my 2014a the broken subframe was a reality even with the stiffy kit installed when I put the topcase on. Lots of well intended advice from the guy’s here that the stiffy would prevent that from happening, it didn’t! But since I got an up close and personal on replacing the subframe, the stiffy does indeed keep most of the broken piece’s from littering the highway behind you and is a worthwhile upgrade imho.

The heavy aluminum Yamaha rear rack (should’ve been stock) or the givi sr357 or the Shad tube rack are the only things that really help. When mine broke there was a lot of accusations that I must’ve overloaded the top box but I can assure you that was not the case because of allthe warningsgiven from the guy’s here. It is just a p-poor design no matter how you cut it and the simple vibration with the normal top box shaking around is enough to break it.

Anyway stepping down off the soapbox if the Ohio guy doesn’t want to work with a potential buyer by giving you some assurance of a non-broken subframe then he’s really not wanting to sell or he’s hiding something.

Past a brand new bike I personally would never buy a used fjr w/o pulling the seats and taking a good hard look at the subframe, it is a real problem and it certainly does happen, the replacement subframe for my 14a was just under $700 but my YES warranty picked up the cost even though I did the swap myself.

Anyway, past all that I hope you find “your” bike and welcome here once you do. Post some pics.
justacrossthehill likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page