Ignition fuse blowing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ignition fuse blowing

Hi All, I'm new here, ScooterG sent me over to get some help. My ignition fuse has been repeatedly blowing upon switching ignition on. I believe that I've eliminated the possibility of a short in the nose, through chasing my red/white wire around and checking for continuity to ground. I just yanked this and now I have all gauges and it will turn over, what is this saying? Thanks, in advance 👍
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200719_143401_1595195209439.jpg (248.3 KB, 30 views)
bounce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We'd love to help but let's back up just a little.

What's your make, model, year and location?
bounce likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We need to know that, wiring diagrams vary. Looks like you have the ECU unplugged, what is the red/white wire you've been chasing and where did you start chasing (location of the red/white, what is it connected to?).

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Sorry, I was a little excited when I posted 🤨 2010 Gen II AE, North American. I'm out in the Seattle area.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

@RaYzerman , I was told to check the red/white power lead from the ignition fuse and follow it back. I checked for continuity to ground with it at various points that I could find. The fuse would not blow when the 9 pin under the glovebox was unplugged, and I unplugged the 6 pin near the fuse fox and again tested to see if it was shorting to ground, and it is not. When I unplugged the ECU my gauges light up and I can turn the bike over. With ECU plugged in fuse blows as soon as I turn the ignition on, regardless of kill switch position.
bounce likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Ignition fuse blowing (take 2)

Hi All, I made a hastily composed post earlier and I want to clarify things a bit to hopefully get some help.
I have a 2010 1300A, I believe that indicates N America, it is an American bike. I'm located near Seattle, WA.
On a recent ride, after a stop, I started up and she died a block later. There are no electrical mods to this bike.
The ignition fuse repeatedly blows as soon as the switch is in the on position, regardless of kill switch being on or off.
I will get running lights and nuetral indicator lit, but no other gauges and no headlights.
I was encouraged to chase the red/white stripe wire from the ignition fuse block and look for shorts. I believe that I've eliminated the possibility of a short in the nose, with the aid of my multimeter and plugging and unplugging connectors at various points.
When I unplug the ECU the fuse doesn't blow, the gauges come back, and the bike will turn over.
I'm wondering if there is a way to test the ECU (aside from swapping one out) and also if these syptoms point only to the ECU or could the short be somewhere else?
The wires on the ECU plug seem to be in good shape, the is no visible evidence of frayed wires, corrosion, ect.
Thanks in advance!
bounce likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

ok ... how about the plug that connects to the ecu??/ how does it look?? 90% of the time ( at least on car videos I have watched ..0 Hello South Main Auto )
CONNECTORS seem to be a point of failure ..though here in the Seattle area we dont get huge amount of corrosion it does happen .
how about when you test the pug ..voltage on the positive side of coarse .. but may be getting voltage on the ground side plug as well ..then when you plug it in ZAP! .
?? just a train of thought ..
bounce likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

ok just saw your other post .. I would strip back the black covering in your picture as far as needed and look for an exposed wire or two some where on that loom ..ecu causing the issue out of the blue would be my last guess...

Last edited by Way8lifter; 07-20-2020 at 01:01 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Please consider updating your profile to include bike info. It will make all future discussions skip that step.

As for the ignition fuse... someone beat me to the recommendation to clean all the connectors with a good electronic cleaner (so no residue is left).

Ridden wet. Put up hard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-12-2020, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Despite everyone telling me that the ECUs never go bad, that was the problem. Got a used one from eBay and she runs now.
ECUs GO BAD.
rbentnail likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page