Fjr 1300 2003 heat on the left side - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Question Fjr 1300 2003 heat on the left side

Hi guys,

As you may know on this gen the engine heats the legs and the ballsack a lot. Especially on the left side, I've made couple of research looking for a fix and I found this old thread. https://www.fjrowners.com/forum/mess...tml?1063970531 in this very webside, but it is too old and I cant access the pictures and try the heat fix (redirect hot air toward the bottom of the bike) on my bike. I was wondering If one of you can help me, maybe someone made the fix and filmed it or has the pictures. I can endure the heat, but if the fix is not rocket science I'll go for it before buying a next gen.

Any imput is welcomed

Thank you very much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by François Labbé View Post
Hi guys,

. . . I can endure the heat, but if the fix is not rocket science I'll go for it before buying a next gen. . . . Thank you very much
Francois, I don't have access to that thread either. Speaking from experience ('05 with 84K near-trouble free miles!), I thought, and still think, it is one of the finest m/c's I have ever ridden.

At the same time, if you can afford a later model, skip the '03 and buy at least '08 or newer. I endured searing engine for 11 years and it would be remiss of me to sugar-coat the issue. I tried wraps and shields but nothing decreased the heat. IMO, the only thing that solved "the heat issue" was the body work re-design that Yamaha started in '06 and had all but perfected in '08 ('07?). If you don't have to endure it, why would you? I drove a friend's '08 ('07?) back then and was just amazed at the improvement. The '05 served me well and, with the exception of the Throttle Control Processor (?), aka TCP, I only had to replace fluids and tires.

I now have a '15A and feel it is just generations beyond my '05; I can only imagine what our fellow riders say about the '16+ models! I look forward to reading other replies.

Keep us posted, please!
Patrick

Last edited by Chicago_FJR; 07-14-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: typos
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago and I dont feel like going through this process all over again...

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via Skype™ to Chicago_FJR
Quote:
I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago and I dont feel like going through this process all over again...

I retract my comments and wish to replace them, "Francois, the '03 you have is the very best model of motorcycle EVER made regardless of country of origin, manufacturer, displacement, model, and color. It will bring you decades, if not centuries, of trouble free motorcycling, cool-yet-not-cold airflow, and attract hordes of admirers. I apologize for the mis-typing and my typos."

There. I hope that retraction gives you every peace of mind. :--) I apologize for second guessing you and assuming you had not already made the purchase!

Patrick
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 03:43 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Fjr 1300 2003 heat on the left side

Quote:
Hi guys,
As you may know on this gen the engine heats the legs and the ballsack a lot. Especially on the left side, I've made couple of research looking for a fix and I found this old thread. https://www.fjrowners.com/forum/mess...tml?1063970531 in this very webside, but it is too old and I cant access the pictures and try the heat fix (redirect hot air toward the bottom of the bike) on my bike. I was wondering If one of you can help me, maybe someone made the fix and filmed it or has the pictures. I can endure the heat, but if the fix is not rocket science I'll go for it before buying a next gen. Any imput is welcomed Thank you very much
François Labb,

The images are really available, from the URLs posted in that message. Right-click on each image title, and "COPY image address" from the menu. Go to a blank URL line and right-click PASTE what you have on the Clipboard to that line. It will be a working URL to the pix. Left-click as per normal. Right-click on the image itself and select "SAVE image as..." to put it in the folder or desktop, where you store such things.

The elements of the "fix" are simple, so it's worth a try. There is no last-and-final fix to the Gen1 heat problem, but there is one fix for the left side, a different fix for the right side, and a "heat blanket" fix that goes under the tank. All of these "fixes" will help to various degrees (no pun intended).

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Farkle Trainee

Anyone ever try making a vent/screen in the triangle piece below radiator behind front wheel?
Even my Gen 3 has plenty of heat on left side foot.

Reason I mention is that my friends 2018 C14 has 0 heat on feet and it is totally open under radiator allowing airflow past pipes and out the back.

These HOT days I have been very tempted to test this. My concern is that the radiator may not get enough air flow if air allowed to bypass so to speak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 07:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

In my considerable experience, all these Gen 1 heat fixes on the internet, do not work. The only thing which helps a bit, is to fit a short windscreen on the fairing. A large windscreen creates a large low pressure area behind it when riding, this low pressure sucks up hot air from the radiator onto the rider.
Ace Handler likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Bernie,

Do you have exemple of this short widescreen modification? picture or video

Thank you
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:26 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
In my considerable experience, all these Gen 1 heat fixes on the internet, do not work. The only thing which helps a bit, is to fit a short windscreen on the fairing. A large windscreen creates a large low pressure area behind it when riding, this low pressure sucks up hot air from the radiator onto the rider.
I would believe that if the heat problem was on the torso. But the FJR has a nice shield vent (gap under the shield) to relieve pressure AND the pressure situation up there has little to do with the air flown down around your shins and ankles.

All that said, I've owned an 04, 06, and 08 and not noticed a heat problem or difference between the models myself. Maybe my shins have no nerves left in them. Lol. I did put a bare hand down there on this last trip in 100+F temps and it felt HOT on my hands so...

I have some flimsy metal pieces with foam backing that are supposed to be a "fix" to Gen 1 heat problems (I believe) and if anyone wants them, just holler. There are no instructions so you're on your own. I believe they are supposed to go somewhere between the side fairings and frame.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 11:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Can't access pics from that old thread. Perhaps lessons from Gen2 and 3... foam pads were added between fairing and side of rad to ensure air went through the rad. But, hopefully the hot air goes down... big holes on the side of the Gen plastic though......

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page