Fjr 1300 2003 heat on the left side - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I did all the heat fixes on my '04 and then some.

In the below pic, you can see the left side "air cut off block" adjacent to the frame, just above the frame to engine mount.

In the end, being in SW Fla, I could only ride the bike 1/2 the year as it was just too hot..
Now, on vacation, (up in Tenn/Dragon, etc), the heat was bearable, even in summer..

Scott

2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-06-2020, 07:38 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Ah man this sucks! I bought mine 05 a while back and I absolutely love it. But now that its summer in texas! Im worried the fucking gas tank is going to explode! The rear corners of the tank gets too hot to touch with bare hands! Runs 2-3 bars coolant temp but an hour long ride has my groin chapped and doing weird leg butterfly movements. I def dont want to go cutting on it, i was hoping a header wrap may help. So i Start doing research and it looks like something im just going to have to deal with. Damnit!!!
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 07:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Guys, one if the things I have thought about on all of this is has anyone ceramic coated the header pipes inside & out as well as adding the thermal shield under the tank ?

Ive done the ceramic coating on headers in several cars now and it typically lowers the heat off the headers by about 75%, on my personal car the header temp went from about 1300f to about 300f as measured at 1-1 1/2 off the head. Just wondering if anyone had tried this.

A side benefit is it normally makes a bit of a performance improvement in the exhaust as it keeps the heat in the exhaust and helps it scavenge better.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 09:26 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yamaha fixed the heat problem on Gen2/3 bikes. They did not ceramic coat the header pipes to achieve this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 11:48 AM
red
FJR Top Gun

Fjr 1300 2003 heat on the left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
Yamaha fixed the heat problem on Gen2/3 bikes. They did not ceramic coat the header pipes to achieve this.
If somebody has a Gen1, they should be open to anything that works to fix the heat issue, no limits except maybe the wallet.

There will be lots of tricks that a manufacturer just won't do, if it costs them too much money. Wanna buy a stock horn?

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post

Ive done the ceramic coating on headers in several cars now and it typically lowers the heat off the headers by about 75%, on my personal car the header temp went from about 1300f to about 300f as measured at 1-1 1/2 off the head.
WOW! 1000F reduction?!? This was measured with an IR gun I assume? At idle or...?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

San Antonio, TX, USA
2008 FJR1300 (Gen II)
2006 FJR1300 (Gen II) (RIP*)
2004 FJR1300 (Gen I) (RIP*)
*Dang cage drivers.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 02:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-YAMAHA-...wAAOSw2s1UtJiM
for under the tank
https://www.fjrowners.com/forum/mess...tml?1063970531
Then I cut dense foam used in shipping cases preformed for an item IE camera. for each side & wedged them between the frame & fairing just in front of knees & shins. This forced the air out the vents in the fairing & made the ride much more tolerable on my 05.
Another option I was going to perform before selling the bike http://www.fjr1300.info/mods/vent-mod.html

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
2000 VFR800 Blue
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!

Last edited by Madmudder; 08-11-2020 at 02:19 PM.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-11-2020, 05:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
WOW! 1000F reduction?!? This was measured with an IR gun I assume? At idle or...?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Dave,yes this was measured with an IR gun , at about 1 out from the head. For some reason there is almost no measurable heat closer to the head.

Bernie, yes I realize the later Gens didnt have the heat issue but I was just thinking about the earlier models because theres been a number of guys buying the early ones on the cheap and ceramic coating the headers should help a lit with the heat but Ive never seen anyone do it. On my cars &1 or2 bikes Ive done the uncoated stuff will just sizzle your skin while the ceramic coated stuff you can touch, not for long but you can w/o getting burned. Also ceramic coating will prevent the pipes from rusting.

Just a thought. Hope it may help someone !
slowdave likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page