To Diode or not Diode on jump box lead... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By N4HHE
  • 1 Post By Dlounsbury

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

To Diode or not Diode on jump box lead...

Should I place a diode in the pos cable that will be used between Tusk mini jump box and the SAE cable?

I have run 10awg from the battery to an SAE which is under the seat. My idea is to use the SAE to power a mini compressor.

For the jump box, an EC5 (jump box connector) to SAE to jump start if needed. Should I place a diode in the EC5 to SAE ? I plan to carry a EC5 to traditional jumper cable post clamps as well which came with a diode in place; to assist someone who does not have a SAE to battery.

There is not an inline fuse from the battery to the SAE under the seat - would blow if jump starting. Maybe place an inline fuse in the SAE to SAE that powers the compressor?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

'07 FJR1300 (Black Cherry...fastest of the REDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 12:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

how about installing a fuse on the sea wire ? that what mine has for heated gear
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 12:44 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You have a 10A (or better yet 20A) diode laying around? They are not that common.

Tire inflator probably won’t care if polarity is reversed. A decent charger or tender will see the reversed leads and refuse to work. You shouldn’t be able to reverse leads with an SAE connector.

If you have the diode and do not mind a 0.7 volt drop then by all means use it if it makes you feel good. Is not necessary.
bounce likes this.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Most folks will not have an SAE connector/wire sufficient to handle starting.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I believe a fuse inline would blow when jump starting which would push much more power than a trickle charger.

The compressor runs fine via the SAE from the battery. I may pick up a cheap EC5 to jump clamps with a diode and place it inline from a EC5 to SAE for the power pack as a peace of mind. as N4HHE sugested.

Dravnx, Is that because most use a fused line for a trickle charger? Or, thin gauge wire? I guess that is why I will carry a EC5 to jump clamps and have some coffee while they access their battery.

~ Dave

Dave

Last edited by Dlounsbury; 07-11-2020 at 07:15 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The SAE battery tender wires are typically 16 or maybe 18 gauge, they can't handle a starter load of 50 or more amps. You need to jump either directly to the battery or hook up to the 10awg. I'm a little confused how you're set up...
I ran 10 awg to under seat, fed fuse panel, had a big 50 amp connector, to which I would plug in 10awg jumper cables I equipped with the mating 50 amp connector. Substitute your jump box for my jumper cables... I don't see need for diode, connector could only go in proper polarity.
Air compressor probably 10 amps or less, can use battery tender SAE for that.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I have 10awg from the battery, under the seat to an SAE connector. What I gather is that using a power box ((400a max), 200a starter) would not work well with a SAE connector. Going with an Anderson SB would be smarter.

To then power anything which uses an SAE, I could make a 10awg Anderson SB to SAE cable. Thoughts Ray?

Dave

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 08:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You could do that, however, if you look at my pic above, there are a pair of wires into that Anderson SB, the other pair (12 awg) goes to my aux. fuse panel (Eastern Beaver PC-8 via a relay). If you don't go with a fuse panel, then pair into the Anderson with maybe two lighter gauge wires with SAE plugs (14 or 16awg). Will they be fused? Won't you want more than two? IF so, fuse panel (cover removed in pic below)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Again, Thanks. I think I will start with pairing out of the Andersen SB as you suggest, fused to an SAE. If need more in the future, go to a fuse block with relay.

Ray, you are a wealth of information as I have seen your posts on other topics.

All the best,

~ Dave

Dave

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I followed Ray's suggestion. Ran a 10 awg from the battery to under the seat, connected to a 50amp Anderson. Pig tailed a fused 16 awg from the Anderson to a SAE plug. Created a EC5 to Anderson using 10 awg to use with a jump box. Retained EC5 to jumper cables that came with the jump box, to assist others. The compressor can run from the SAE under the seat using a SAE / SAE extension, or via the jump box using a EC5 to SAE cable. Each 'set up' fits great in a small Cole Haan bag. (First Class amenity kit from American Airlines - free when you fly; or have a girlfriend who is a flight attendant.)

Thanks for all the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jump box 1.jpg (138.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg jump box 2.jpg (172.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jump box 3.jpg (183.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jump box 4.jpg (138.7 KB, 4 views)
RaYzerman likes this.

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page