2013 FJR-1300A Engine Management Systems? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

2013 FJR-1300A Engine Management Systems?

Greetings.

Prospective owner questions.

Does the 2013 year meet the following criteria ?
* Electronic Fuel Injection
* Electronic Idle Air Control
* Wide Band Oxygen Sensor
* Stock Iridium or Platinum Spark Plugs

What years (if any) meet the above criteria?

Background:
My 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S has mechanical idle air control and lacks an oxygen sensor. Stock plugs are also copper. Absolutely amazing performance, but these older engine management technologies translate to more tinkering and less seat time. Newest models use newer engine management technologies including throttle by wire, but they are also considerably smaller than the older generation. (saves weight) So that leaves me looking to try the FJR series. It also has a tiny battery which means it's an unreliable crank as you get down into the low 20s Fahrenheit. Basically it's not designed for Winter; not a critique, just a fact. I LOVE my 2nd-Gen R6, first motobike, been on it for several years and intend to keep it.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 07:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yes
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

What year did they start to support all of this?

Besides suspension, what improvements exist between the 2013 and 2020?

For starters, I can see that the 2013 uses halogen lighting.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...dels/fjr1300es

Wonder what changes were made between 2018/19/20...

Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Get a '14+.That would be most suitable to your situation..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 06:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You have to decide if you want ES or not, various opinions exist, but I prefer an A so I can upgrade the suspension if I like.
All A suspensions '13 up are the same.
2016 up got LED headlights, ES got cornering lights (which by all reports are "meh"). The newer LED conversions for halogen are brighter.
2016-up got OBD diagnostics, so you will need an adapter harness and OBD reader, otherwise have to take it to dealer.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 08:16 AM
Farkle Trainee

My '14 shows the ngk cpr8ea-9 plug as recommended. This is a standard nickel electrode and the manufacture lists as a 30,000 mile plug while Yamaha has a much lower service level requirement (I think mainly to check gap.) You could replace with the CPR8EAIX-9 if you want an Iridium electrode.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Great information fellas. I do my own maintenance so very useful bits. I'll search the forum for a downloadable manual.

In terms of changes, sounds like there are a lot of similarities between the YZF and FJR. (but obviously no cornering lights on a sport bike LoL) The Yamaha proprietary diagnostics is great. No tools, very powerful. Could read each individual sensor and switch, activate individual relays and solenoids/motors, fire individual spark plugs and fuel injectors... easily... and all from the dash. Even a twelve year old could find faults using that system. Didn't like that they had to (EU regulations) dump it for that mostly passive universal crap they put in our cars.

Letting the gap go is hard on ignition coils. I did switch out my copper for iridium on my current bike but had to go two steps hotter just to help keep them clean. (no ping/detonation) The iridium plugs have wwaaayyy less surface area and are therefore much less resistant to fouling. The tip on the nickel plug, appears to be fat like the copper; not tiny like the iridium. So it might be worth going a step or two hotter for iridium depending on what range the manual recommends. There were no ruthenium plugs yet available for my current bike.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 10:46 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

In 2016 the transmission was changed for a 6 speed and clutch basket changed for a lighter pull and back torque slipper type.
Whether or not these are important for you, just pointing out a major change to the FJR. Mark

2016 Yamaha FJR 1300A, 2006 Ducati Multistrada 620
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Yes it is. Thank you. I was just looking at a 2016. I like aggressive cornering, some are long, and don't like unnecessary RPMs... so that means shifting in-corner. At the same time, I typically don't go for first-year tech for there are often bugs to be worked out... though it may have been introduced on another model/line in a prior year. I'll search the forums for reliability data on the 2016.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page