Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Technical (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/)
-   -   Well this brake purchase sucked (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/151177-well-brake-purchase-sucked.html)

Way8lifter 07-08-2020 10:34 PM

Well this brake purchase sucked

I bought new pads from an ebay seller .. first ..VERY VERY delayed .. not completely there fault , but had free shipping ( fed ex ground BOOOo ) and no way offered to get it quicker .
Now the bad .. the rear brakes are the wrong size ( Too big ) and the fronts I purchased 4 pads ..not realizing that it need 4 pads per side ( My bandit had 2 pads each side . hence the ordering mistake .. but the rears are 100$ their fault
Now I will just cave in and go to dealer and get the pads
gonna be painful $$$$

the Ferret 07-08-2020 10:49 PM

If I recall a complete set of oe pads for my FJR was like $300, which shocked the snot out of me, but the original rears lasted nearly 30,000 miles and the fronts are still good. So they last twice as long as the pads did on my CB 1100 which only cost $150.

blassoff 07-08-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way8lifter (Post 1265043)
I bought new pads from an ebay seller .. first ..VERY VERY delayed .. not completely there fault , but had free shipping ( fed ex ground BOOOo ) and no way offered to get it quicker .
Now the bad .. the rear brakes are the wrong size ( Too big ) and the fronts I purchased 4 pads ..not realizing that it need 4 pads per side ( My bandit had 2 pads each side . hence the ordering mistake .. but the rears are 100$ their fault
gonna be painful $$$$

There are numerous pad manufacturers who can sell you a complete set of pads (1 rear, 2 front) for around $150. Galfer, EBC, SBS, Carbone Lorraine, Etc. Don't pay oem prices when there are lots of quality options out there.

Way8lifter 07-08-2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blassoff (Post 1265049)
There are numerous pad manufacturers who can sell you a complete set of pads (1 rear, 2 front) for around $150. Galfer, EBC, SBS, Carbone Lorraine, Etc. Don't pay oem prices when there are lots of quality options out there.

yes I put every thing back together I can ride without the rears for now and I put the 4 best pads back on the front ./.. It is just not ideal

RaYzerman 07-09-2020 08:17 AM

What blassoff said..... and if you're wanting OEM, go to Partshark or Partzilla for discount of the list price you'll pay at a dealer. Still not cheap as other options, but you really don't need them that often.
Hint when re-using/swapping pads on the front, put the more worn ones on the right front caliper lower (linked rear brake).

N4HHE 07-09-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Way8lifter (Post 1265043)
gonna be painful $$$$

OE Yamaha rear pads were under $30 from Rocky Mountain ATV/Motorcycle. Front was not quite such a good bargain but better than BikeBandit.

N4HHE 07-09-2020 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blassoff (Post 1265049)

EBC makes good brake pads but I find for the FJR wear is twice the rate of OE.

rbentnail 07-09-2020 10:42 AM

And stop using ebay for bike parts. I spent more and more time searching and returning things. The stress wasn't worth it. Go to a distributor. revzilla, bikebandit, etc. Even cyclegear is better than ebay.

Mooseman1. 07-09-2020 10:47 AM

I replaced front pads in April this year on my 2008. Just looked at invoice and it was 4X 3P6-W0045-00-00 Brake Pad Kits (2 pads each) for $29.99 Canadian each. $120 Canadian for a complete front replacement from dealer, genuine Yamaha parts. 53,500 miles on bike.

FXRS 07-09-2020 04:57 PM

Second the notion to avoid eBay unless just getting non-critical stuff. Brake pads are nothing to mess around with.

I replaced my OEM front pads on my '14 ES this spring simply because at 24,700 miles one pad on one side was maybe a bit too worn to make the full season. Also was a convenient time for me. As other have mentioned the linked brake setup can cause this. No big deal, just regularly inspect pads as normal preventative maintenance.

Not all sources had the OEM pads in stock but Partzilla came through. There are aftermarket pads out there but these OEM pads are very good & great life to boot.