Well this brake purchase sucked - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 07:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Actually, Bobby's signature says he's got a 2015 model (and a ZRX1200 -- Hi Bobby )

The 2015 applies some front when the rear is pressed whether the rider uses the front or not, does it not?

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think we all had the best of intentions for safety, still do.

Rear brake application is a bit involved. Pressing the rear brake lightly/slowly doesn't move the front pads... there is a proportioning and metering valve. The harder and faster you apply rear will overcome the valving and send fluid pressure to the front caliper... Stomp on it and it will happen for sure.

My experience is I can't stomp on rear brake and even get the ABS to kick in... too much traction unless wet. Coming from Honda linked brake systems, I initially found the FJR rear brake to be very lame.
I have panicked rear brake only, hot day, going too hot into a corner trying to scrub off speed. ABS on that bike wasn't working, I did manage to skid the rear wheel for quite a distance.... with a car tire. Luckily I wasn't leaned and bike stayed relatively straight.

Go take a course from zwartie, glad he chimed in to give his professional guidance.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, I guess I’ll chime in a bit here. Coming from the linked brakes of an 86 gl1200 Sei that quite frankly worked very well to the point that I primarily used only the brake pedal but on the gl1200 you could actually make the nose dive with just the brake pedal, a much better balanced system imho.

The FJR linked system is really lame in comparison, at least on my 14a if you only use the rear pedal you get almost no brake action but if you add-in a bit of front then the rear works very well, has to be a proportioning valve thing. In my opinion.

And being that I routinely ride 2 other old bikes that are not linked or have ABS so I have to practice use of both front & rear for the best results from my bikes and me. And I’ll add that the fjr brakes are pretty spectacular and having dipped into the abs a number of times when I was still working due to idiots on cell phones I have become an abs believer which was kinda odd being that I worked in brake engineering for nearly 30 yrs, I was not an abs proponent for a long time but today’s abs is much better.

Rerose, my buddie rides a zx14 that could be a twin to yours right down to the handlebars and tail pack except his is flat black, has a lot going for it ! He had it dyno’d and reflashed to where the thing makes a silly 205 rwhp but he just puts along on it and whenever he and I go for a lunch ride he insists that I lead and I generally have to run really slow so as not to lose him, I think he’s afraid of it although he used to race regularly in the AHRMA seniors division which I believe should put him at a higher skill level than me. Anyway does your ZX14 have linked brakes ? I don’t remember if my buddies does or not, it seems the ConCours 14 had issues with quirky operation of their linked brakes but not sure I’m remembering correctly or not.

On another note I’ll just say that the Concours 14 is such a missed opportunity by Kawasaki imho.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Last edited by passx; 07-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 08:36 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post

Rear brake application is a bit involved. Pressing the rear brake lightly/slowly doesn't move the front pads... there is a proportioning and metering valve. The harder and faster you apply rear will overcome the valving and send fluid pressure to the front caliper... Stomp on it and it will happen for sure.

My experience is I can't stomp on rear brake and even get the ABS to kick in... too much traction unless wet. Coming from Honda linked brake systems, I initially found the FJR rear brake to be very lame.
I have panicked rear brake only, hot day, going too hot into a corner trying to scrub off speed. ABS on that bike wasn't working, I did manage to skid the rear wheel for quite a distance.... with a car tire. Luckily I wasn't leaned and bike stayed relatively straight.

Go take a course from zwartie, glad he chimed in to give his professional guidance.
My rear ABS definitely works. I've gotten it chattering pretty good on crooked roads under heavy braking. I will say that I was on the fronts pretty hard as well at the time. I've tried to teach myself not to rely on it because the ZRX doesn't have it.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 06:04 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I have no doubt that this statement ^^ describes the general feelings on the subject. But.... and this is a HUGE BUT....

There is a considerable difference between telling someone what he/she/it is doing is wrong vs. describing the way you do it and why.

I think if every single one of you had said "I disagree with your statement, here's what I do" instead of "I disagree with your statement, you're doing it wrong, you're dangerous to yourself and others, take a course to learn what you're doing." Go back, take a breff to clear your mind and reread what everyone typed and you'll that's exactly what you people did. The pile-on was unwarranted and undeserved. And then you have the nerve to feel slighted, telling him he got his nose out of joint? No sirs, you all are wrong in your behavior. Of course he got upset, wouldn't you? Be fair, wouldn't you?
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2020, 09:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
I have no doubt that this statement ^^ describes the general feelings on the subject. But.... and this is a HUGE BUT....

There is a considerable difference between telling someone what he/she/it is doing is wrong vs. describing the way you do it and why.

I think if every single one of you had said "I disagree with your statement, here's what I do" instead of "I disagree with your statement, you're doing it wrong, you're dangerous to yourself and others, take a course to learn what you're doing." Go back, take a breff to clear your mind and reread what everyone typed and you'll that's exactly what you people did. The pile-on was unwarranted and undeserved. And then you have the nerve to feel slighted, telling him he got his nose out of joint? No sirs, you all are wrong in your behavior. Of course he got upset, wouldn't you? Be fair, wouldn't you?
Wait, aren't you contradicting yourself when you say "you are all wrong in your behaviour"? Asking for a friend, not intending to be accusatory in any way. Unless of course you intentionally stated it that way to emphasize point in which case, well done!

Zwartie
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post
Wait, aren't you contradicting yourself when you say "you are all wrong in your behaviour"? Asking for a friend, not intending to be accusatory in any way. Unless of course you intentionally stated it that way to emphasize point in which case, well done!

Zwartie

HAHAAHAAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwartie View Post

Zwartie
Go on the attack, pick nits, adopt a defensive posture....

Exactly what adults do when they know they've behaved badly but won't admit it.

The man was treated badly, 'fess up.
passx likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Go on the attack, pick nits, adopt a defensive posture....

Exactly what adults do when they know they've behaved badly but won't admit it.

The man was treated badly, 'fess up.
well I told him his braking methodology could get him killed.. I tell this to all my friends that ride .... and ALL of them have been like him and refuse to listen ( it is why I mentioned HIS states exam backs me up) unless you are riding ten miles an hour or below you need to brake correctly ...feelings be **** .... how many videos have YOU seen on you tube of a motorcyclist crashing because of poor braking....I can send links if you want .....
at the end of the day he can brake how ever he wants.. I hope he never crashes because of it..or worse yet crash into some one and hurts or kills THEM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page