Well this brake purchase sucked - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
When I need front brakes I use them. My other 2 are a ZX14 and ZRX that are not ABS so the front is used all the time. The FJR for the slow kind of riding I do the back work fine but then the back is also some of the front.
My last .02 cent on this matter.
The human body and brain does not work that way ... You get good at what u practice ,, you body becomes its' function . in a desperate situation " muscle memory " will take over and will do what knows without having plan it out .
In your case a cager pulls out in front o you and you WILL hit that rear brake pedal hard.. without the fronts and my or my not hit t the unintended target .
A boxer throws punches correctly in practice ..not waiting to do it right when he needs to .

MOM OUT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 10:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

I am almost 65 and the 14 is just a cruiser.

The 14 has a LSL handle bar kit plus 1 in risers, special made links for center stand, throttle lock, lowered foot pegs, 2nd radiator fan, chrome wheels, Concourse seat with beads that make all the difference, flash, full Leo Vince, mirror extenders and 180 at the rear wheel.

My 2015 FJR A model only has some comfort features and it is pretty much all I wanna ride. I cannot complain about it and it is nice to ride. I wish the performance was like my 2009 BMW but then it was twicw the price of the FJR. FJR is still plenty fast to get you a felony.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mr Way I have had at least 1 legal and insured bike since I was 16 and as many as 8 at one time. I growed up on bikes with front/back drum brakes and suspension so bad that it is a wonder that most of us survived them. I am almost 65 and still puttin along. The way I ride works for me but maybe not for others. I do not need to be fast in corners or a strait line but I need to be good enuf to make it back home to family.
passx and David Shelton like this.

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Mr Way I have had at least 1 legal and insured bike since I was 16 and as many as 8 at one time. I growed up on bikes with front/back drum brakes and suspension so bad that it is a wonder that most of us survived them. I am almost 65 and still puttin along. The way I ride works for me but maybe not for others. I do not need to be fast in corners or a strait line but I need to be good enuf to make it back home to family.
I did not mention fast... 30 in a 50 .and a car turns in front of you or slams on their brakes in front of you..I was not talking about Luguna Seca Race way ...any way have a nice day

Last edited by Way8lifter; 07-20-2020 at 12:40 AM.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 07:53 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I wouldn't just use FJR rear brakes, pretty lame by themselves, even weak in trail braking. I agree with the muscle memory thing, in a panic situation you may go there first and not be stopping fast enough in a bad situation. Use the fronts, or even both, that's where the vast majority of stopping power is in a panic situation, does not matter how you ride. The older we get, the safer we have to be as our reaction times may be a tad slower. I have to ask, what is your logic for using only rear brakes.
Mr_Ed likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:08 AM
Farkle Trainee

This is what I love about the internet. I had said I "RARELY" use the front brakes and all the replies are like I never use the front brakes. Yes people because I do not ride like some of youns I am just a fkn dummy and should not have a bike. This is almost like an oil thread where nobody wins but everybody else is always right. Next one will be he took the front brake lever off because he hates front brakes. I have to take off on the bike for awhile except I will be on the 14 where front brakes are mandatory and I also have to find my directions on how to use the front brakes. I also wonder why I ride on hot days but then that is another story.

Take care to the more than perfect riders in every way -- The Nube To Biking

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)
post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 08:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sorry you got your nose out of joint, but just how were you expecting us to interpret "rarely".... I'd think most of us would think "hardly ever".... whatever that means. Ride safe.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Sorry you got your nose out of joint, but just how were you expecting us to interpret "rarely".... I'd think most of us would think "hardly ever".... whatever that means. Ride safe.
es I was not throwing rocks .. simple concerned that your braking may get you killed ... I tested myself the other day and at 40 mph when I aggressively grabbed the fronts I guessed 40- 50 feet ( I really need to measure ) .. rear only would have been closer to 100 ft .....
RaYzerman and Jenks like this.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:20 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I had said I "RARELY" use the front brakes and all the replies are like I never use the front brakes.
Sorry, but I'm going to have to chime in on this one and this is not intended to be derogatory or condescending in anyway. It's for the benefit of the group. I've been teaching motorcycle riding and licensing riders for 19 seasons We train and license new riders as well as riders with up to 5 years experience who are graduating to a full M license. This includes parking lot as well as road riding/testing. Hopefully that adds some credibility to my comments.

Approximately 70% of braking in normal conditions is done with the front brake. When braking, both front and rear should be applied almost every time.

Of course, there are exceptions - when doing a slow-speed maneuver where you're slipping the clutch in 1st gear and turning, you should only use the rear brake. If you are turning (slowly) and you suspect traction may be less than ideal (gravel, sand, water, oil...), use rear brake only.

If you are slowing or stopping in a straight line, use both brakes. If you are slowing down or stopping in a curve or an off-ramp in normal conditions, use both brakes.

When I saw the word "rarely" I interpreted it as something like less than 10% of the time. During normal riding, whether that's on the highway or in stop-and-go traffic in the city, you should use both brakes 90% of the time when braking. The front brake really does the lion's share of the work. Using only the rear increases stopping distance. It's also about forming good habits - if a rider only uses the rear brake most of the time then when they need to use both brakes (like in an emergency) they may not be as proficient at braking as they could or should be.

I believe I said this before in a previous post but I will say it again - it is really, really beneficial to take an advanced or even a refresher rider training course. It's money and time well-spent and I guarantee you will have a blast doing it and it just may save your life.

Zwartie
RaYzerman and the Ferret like this.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 11:52 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
This is what I love about the internet. I had said I "RARELY" use the front brakes and all the replies are like I never use the front brakes. Yes people because I do not ride like some of youns I am just a fkn dummy and should not have a bike. This is almost like an oil thread where nobody wins but everybody else is always right. Next one will be he took the front brake lever off because he hates front brakes. I have to take off on the bike for awhile except I will be on the 14 where front brakes are mandatory and I also have to find my directions on how to use the front brakes. I also wonder why I ride on hot days but then that is another story.

Take care to the more than perfect riders in every way -- The Nube To Biking
Hey I was not judging. I just asked a few simple questions.

Your answer was you ride slow and do not thing your need to routinely use the front brake. That is your prerogative. There is nothing dangerous about it provided you maintain proper braking distance. As long as you are proficient in front use as you need it. Rear braking distance is far longer and prone to locking the rear tire. FJRs dont have the rear weight bias that a cruiser does. Sport bikes have worse rear brakes than many cruisers. But far superior front.
RaYzerman likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page