Well this brake purchase sucked - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 21Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 02:23 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
From whom? Rocky Mountain charge me $36.99 x 4 for that P/N.
That's what I paid as well from my local dealer

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, how fast I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I RIDE...EVERY DAY. "Ferret"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 08:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
That's what I paid as well from my local dealer
You have a fantastic dealer!

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 09:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseman1. View Post
Bought them from Riverside Yamaha in St Albert, Alberta Canada! Mine were 29.99 Canadian In April 2020, which is $22.50 u.s. Dealer can charge what every the want. They charge me $19.95 Canadian for a Yamaha Oil Filter?
You got a bargain on brake pads, ripped on oil filter. RM was $36.99US for each of the (4) pairs the front needs. An RM was the best price I found.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 11:59 AM
Training wheels fitted!

The harder the pad, the faster your rotors will wear. I'd rather replace pads over rotors, any day. The only pads I've had negative experience with, are Kevlar. They have a severely delayed response under wet/cold conditions. When wet, I've had to intentionally drag the brakes for a tenth of a mile, just keep some heat in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReRose View Post
I am one of them that rarely use front brakes unless I am needing to so I cannot wait to see the difference in pad thickness next time I put tires on. I just put tires on a VTX1800 that also had no rear brakes but plenty of pad. Had to look up the bleeding procedure for the rear so I knew which bleeders to do on the front for the rear brakes. I guess the FJR will be the same procedure so I need to look in the FJR SM for directions.
I used to do similar on my YZF, attempting to even out tire wear and keep from having to replace the front pads. I still always applied the front, just not nearly to the degree that was intended. I quit in part because the front pads last basically forever; also because the rear simply wasn't designed for it. The pad carrier ("bracket support") was taking actual damage, as well as accelerated wear. I was going through pads like a thick chick on a period cycle. In addition, the front I found, were just as easy as the rear to replace. Aside from tire wear, there really wasn't any benefit. Braking normally and occasionally, intentionally HARD, also helps keep those skills sharper. That way if the situation actually warrants it, mistakes are less likely to be made.

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRS View Post
Second the notion to avoid eBay unless just getting non-critical stuff. Brake pads are nothing to mess around with.

I replaced my OEM front pads on my '14 ES this spring simply because at 24,700 miles one pad on one side was maybe a bit too worn to make the full season. Also was a convenient time for me. As other have mentioned the linked brake setup can cause this. No big deal, just regularly inspect pads as normal preventative maintenance.

Not all sources had the OEM pads in stock but Partzilla came through. There are aftermarket pads out there but these OEM pads are very good & great life to boot.
I will keep this in mind .. I did receive pads from Amazon the other day ..after UPS delivered to the wrong address ..couldn't find the mail ..it arrived the next day on top of our newspaper box ..covered in dirt
the seller tome I NEEDED TO contact UPS to find it...if I dint need then so bad I would have told them to F off and I would take refund instead ...as it is I will just give them 1 star for after sale service .
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 12:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
I am one of them that rarely use front brakes unless I am needing to so I cannot wait to see the difference in pad thickness next time I put tires on. I just put tires on a VTX1800 that also had no rear brakes but plenty of pad. Had to look up the bleeding procedure for the rear so I knew which bleeders to do on the front for the rear brakes. I guess the FJR will be the same procedure so I need to look in the FJR SM for directions.
My questions are;
Do you rarely use the front brake because you are an ex cruiser rider and are not versed in sport bike engineering?

Or do you rarely use the front brake because you like high entry speed corners and use the rear for light mid corner corrections?

Or do you rarely use the front brake because you ride slow and your constant speed does not need reducing for corners?

Seeing your bike list is confusing because the inclusion of the ZX1400 would point me in one direction but that direction leads directly to front brake bias.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 12:44 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Interestingly: I think the latest ES models redirects some of the rear to the front. If I recall correctly, I think I read that they're using six piston calipers up front, and two of the six are actuated by the rear brake(?).

Stock 2008 Yamaha YZF-R6S Blue >60k miles
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuit View Post
Interestingly: I think the latest ES models redirects some of the rear to the front. If I recall correctly, I think I read that they're using six piston calipers up front, and two of the six are actuated by the rear brake(?).
You have a slight misunderstanding of the linked brake system... on all Gen2 2006-up ABS, both A and ES, rear pedal activates right caliper lower set of pads if braking force is enough (proportioning and metering valve come into play).
Look at parts diagram if you like, two sets of pads in each front caliper, each has 4 pistons or 8 in total, two belong to that rear brake on the right side.
Applying front brake only activates 3 sets of pads.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mike an answer to your question about me using the rear brakes only most of the time:

Or do you rarely use the front brake because you ride slow and your constant speed does not need reducing for corners?

The answer to the 14 is I always wanted 1 so I bought a used one in 2008 with 400 miles. Guy bought the 14 (200 then BMW came out with the 1000RR and being the new big dog he had to have it but could not keep both. It is a 1 year color only and I liked it so I bought it. I had no use for an "oversized crotch rocket" so I made it into an old mans cruiser. I do not do corners and had to many people to help and support plus needed to be at work Monday morning and not the hospital or morgue.

The 14 has 5200 miles on it now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (342.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0015.JPG (298.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0014.JPG (225.3 KB, 4 views)

Real Name - Bobby
2001 ZRX1200
2008 ZX14
2015 FJR1300A
2015 Vulcan S (Wife)

Last edited by ReRose; 07-17-2020 at 07:07 PM.
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 07:57 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Mike an answer to your question about me using the rear brakes only most of the time:

The answer to the 14 is I always wanted 1 so I bought a used one in 2008 with 400 miles. Guy bought the 14 (200 then BMW came out with the 1000RR and being the new big dog he had to have it but could not keep both. It is a 1 year color only and I liked it so I bought it. I had no use for an "oversized crotch rocket" so I made it into an old mans cruiser. I do not do corners and had to many people to help and support plus needed to be at work Monday morning and not the hospital or morgue.

The 14 has 5200 miles on it now
I had a 2007 Metallic Black ZX14 that looks just like yours from the picture. I noticed the Connie 14 seat, it was better then stock for sure. I rode mine for years until rotator cuff tore from decades of Drag Racing and dirt bikes. I am in my late 60's now and have a 2008 AE no clutch lever, arthritis in my hands now. But still ridding after all these years.
The ZX14 brakes were a lot better then the Busa I rode. Enjoy the FJR it has enough power it's not boring and I can ride it all day and back does not hurt.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page