Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/)
-   FJR Technical (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/)
-   -   Ethanol treatment (https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/151161-ethanol-treatment.html)

Jim Yott 07-06-2020 09:24 PM

Ethanol treatment

Hi all, I have recently started treating my gas as I can only get ethanol blended gas where I live. I would rather not carry around a large bottle but haven't seen a cost effective small bottle alternative. Any suggestions from this august group?

the Ferret 07-06-2020 09:37 PM

Your bike was designed to run fine on 10% ethanol 87 grade. If it makes you feel better you can dump in some Seafoam every few months and run it through the tank. In the winter dump in some Seafoam and run it through the carbs and it will be fine until spring.

SLK50 07-06-2020 09:54 PM

I have never “treated” gas during riding season
in 14 years of FJR ownership.
At the end of riding season, before parking the
bike for winter, I treat a full tank of gas with Stabil.
At the start of riding season, before the first ride,
I add a dose of injector cleaner.
Never had an issue.

red 07-06-2020 10:14 PM

Ethanol treatment

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Yott (Post 1264607)
Hi all, I have recently started treating my gas as I can only get ethanol blended gas where I live. I would rather not carry around a large bottle but haven't seen a cost effective small bottle alternative. Any suggestions from this august group?

Jim,

Where the heck do you live? Non-ethanol gasoline may be a little rare, but it can be found in lots of places in the USA. Not all of these sellers are gas stations; one place near me is a refinery. You just ride right in, fill up, and pre-pay with a credit card. Locally, nobody (it seems) knows the refinery sells to the public. I would not park my bike even for a month with ethanol-gas in the tank. Anyway, in the USA, maybe you can find local gas stations that sell gasoline, not just ethanol-gas, on this link:

www.pure-gas.org

:mrgreen:

rbentnail 07-06-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLK50 (Post 1264617)
I have never “treated” gas during riding season
in 14 years of FJR ownership.
At the end of riding season, before parking the
bike for winter, I treat a full tank of gas with Stabil.
At the start of riding season, before the first ride,
I add a dose of injector cleaner.
Never had an issue.

This is exactly what I do. I run exclusively 87 octane with 10% ethanol. In the spring I use Berryman's cleaner.

IMHO the days of worrying about ethanol are long gone. You're just wasting money.

RaYzerman 07-06-2020 11:03 PM

Ethanol fuel is fine... until you don't ride the bike for a while. As moisture is absorbed, the ethanol gets saturated (it can only handle 4.5% water), and we get what is called phase separation... the excess water sits at the bottom of the tank and causes starting and running problems... you call it "bad gas". Starts happening in a couple of weeks.
The other thing that happens is a gum film builds as gasoline evaporates... BTW, pure gasoline will not degrade for a couple of years in those tank farms. The ethanol and additives are added right before delivery to the oil company's specifications, and the tank truck makes its way to the gas station.

Dumping in Seafoam does two things, the naptha is a slow-acting solvent that dissolves gums, the isopropanol can disperse a large amount of water, many times what ethanol can. So that's why it works. It happens to be a good stabilizer. Naptha is in lots of stuff, GooGone, WD40, wax removers, etc.
So doesn't hurt to use some Seafoam once in a while, and especially if you have "bad gas". If you look up the MSDS for the product you use as a fuel conditioner, you'll find most contain mostly naptha. "Injector cleaners" add some harsher solvent like Benzine, etc. in a very small amount. Then they stick a fancy label on it and market the heck out of it so you will buy it. Seafoam at one time was marketed as "Mechanic In A Can". I like it because it's simple.

You can do your own research..... every time you hear of a snake oil, go look it up and see what's really in it.

Jim Yott 07-06-2020 11:32 PM

I live in NH and the only place even close to me is in Concord, it's a power equipment co and they run 95 octane and they are miles away.

relhok 07-07-2020 12:02 AM

There is only one product I would add to my gas. I've seen results myself, and heard many more from my customers that have used it and returned to share their experience and buy more. **** I sound like an ad... But how else can you sound when it just works so well?

I'm always looking for the best. Right now it's Helix.

Helix 5in1
https://www.helix5in1.com/

Damir 07-07-2020 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaYzerman (Post 1264633)
etc.
Seafoam at one time was marketed as "Mechanic In A Can". I like it because it's simple.

Ray care to share:
what Seafoam are you buying and
from which retailer in Canada ? (beside Royal Dist./Sudbury)

RaYzerman 07-07-2020 07:35 AM

Napa has sales once in a while C$7 a can, not sure if their current sale just ended (was on for month of June). You can buy a gallon, but not a huge discount. Can Tire/Royal etc. tend to go retail at $12-13. Walmart USA U$7-10.
Alternative, Gumout.
Could not find MSDS for Helix 5-in-1... guarantee you it has a goodly percentage of isopropanol for the water issue, very likely it has naptha.. and of course "the proprietary blend" to make it their own. No harm at all, if it's similarly priced, go for it. As for the octane booster part, ethanol lowers octane a touch, generally fuel mileage is lower (they estimate ~11%). Adding a more volatile solvent will raise octane.
Shell Canada's premium is ethanol free, since regular and premium are blended, mid-grade has 5% ethanol. No problem using ethanol, except it does attack diaphrams in your small engine carbs. Use ethanol free there if you can.... premium runs cooler than regular.