Ethanol treatment - Page 9 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 04:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Little late but a couple stories:

I use a couple of ounces of ashless 2stroke oil in the 5gal jugs I use to fill any small engines (4stroke). Never drain carbs and NEVER have had issue with fuel after winters.

I use the same in any carbureted motorcycle.

I recommended this to a friend in Florida where the issues of ethanol are much more severe/ process sped up because of the heat. A bank of Kawi Concours carbs left to sit for as little a 3weeks (inside storage in steel uninsulated building) can get into problems. The gas/ethanol will evaporate out of the float bowls down to the pilot jets. At that point the pilot jets get a film over them that will block them off/ (very hard to see, as it looks clear but requires manual cleaning to remove. Once the jet is completely blocked it will not clean out with Seafoam, Startron etc.
If you kept a small amount of ashless 2stroke oil in tank, the gas/ethanol would still evaporate , but, the film does not form over the pilot jet and block it.

Another story of a carboned up C14 in Ontario:
Riding buddy having issue with a vibration/rough feeling in his C14 . Could only be felt at very light throttle openings but would be consistent with that throttle opening if held steady across a large rpm range. 2012 MY with 140K Km. Buddy got all wound up and pulled engine after seeing valve clearances get loose over a couple thousand kms.
Heads were badly carboned up (This guy is definitely in the does not baby his bike category).

After seeing the carbon and doing some head scratching , two things came to light . (In late fall, which this was) he only filled up at one station near his home (a tier 3 station) and rode a lot in 40F and colder temps. The engine running too cold on poor gasoline additive package over long term caused the carbon.

He now use Top Tier gas and blocks enough of his radiator off to bring his temp guage up to a better operating range in the cold weather. Carbon issue solved.
RaYzerman likes this.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

https://www.pure-gas.org/

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #83 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Thanks for the link, RaYzerman! Other than Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, and PEI, it appears as though the only gas that's ethanol-free in Canada is the high octane gas which is considerably more expensive than regular gas and offers no benefit in terms of performance or fuel economy. I'll stick with regular gas and run a bottle of ring-free plus once or twice a season and put "the good stuff" in the tank along with fuel stabilizer for winter storage.

Zwartie

post #84 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:42 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
N4 great information, what is your source, and are you sure corn is not subsidized ? 😄 I read a couple of times it is 😄
There are generic farm programs and sometimes grants for protecting soil, minimizing erosion, but I can't find a subsidy for corn.

Commodity price support is twisted, typical of government. Through USDA one can apply for a MAL, Market Assistance Loan, nominally to provide operating capital at harvest when commodity prices are typically low. The USDA rate varies but in Alabama one can get a loan using corn as collateral at $2.39/bushel. One can either repay the loan or surrender the corn. 52 week low market price is $3.00. Was $3.34 today.

In other words, the USDA is saying your corn is worth $2.39 even if markets collapse. Anyone experienced in finance and business will realize this guaranteed floor minimizes risk. It is a kind of subsidy in guaranteeing a minimum price, and in providing low cost capital.

Quote:
Ethanol bad for ozone layer, hmmm..I once read that all the cows, sheeps and other livestock are producing more methane and other poluting gases, more then all the internal combustion vehicles in the whole world. So how do we control and regulate that? Would adding Ethanol to cows diet help? 🙂
A number of farms near here use Jack Daniels' corn mash byproduct as feed. Produces the stinkiest cow manure ever. You know 1/2 mile away.

Quote:
Also some claim that there is no real benefit in electric cars to the environment, since the manufacturing of all battery components and the disposal of batteries is causing even greater pollution.
A friend had to replace his Tesla battery after only 5yrs of service.
I own and drive a Tesla for the past 6.5 years but never pretend to be "saving the planet."

Have long said, "let the market decide." If ethanol is saving the planet and conserving resources then such savings will be reflected in lower price for comparable service. Can't economically make ethanol without diesel and natural gas, so "renewable" is only due to government slight of hand in terminology.

As for used batteries, they are a higher grade of materials than raw ore. My Tesla battery is said to weigh 1400 pounds. Any good capitalist would jump at the opportunity to turn that used battery into profit by reuse.

And speaking of Tesla, that "battery" is really a battery of about 18 other batteries of about 400 cells each. Over 7100 cells in my battery. The whole thing rarely goes bad all at once. Used Tesla cells bring a pretty penny on eBay. And plenty of opportunities are appearing to use used EV batteries for utility electrical storage.

Quote:
Are you sure about that corn?
Its difficult to prove a negative. Surely someone here grows corn? My land grows hay and cattle.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #85 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 06:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damir View Post
N4 great information, what is your source, and are you sure corn is not subsidized ? 😄 I read a couple of times it is 😄
There are generic farm programs and sometimes grants for protecting soil, minimizing erosion, but I can't find a subsidy for corn.

Commodity price support is twisted, typical of government. Through USDA one can apply for a MAL, Market Assistance Loan, nominally to provide operating capital at harvest when commodity prices are typically low. The USDA rate varies but in Alabama one can get a loan using corn as collateral at $2.39/bushel. One can either repay the loan or surrender the corn. 52 week low market price is $3.00. Was $3.34 today.

In other words, the USDA is saying your corn is worth $2.39 even if markets collapse. Anyone experienced in finance and business will realize this guaranteed floor minimizes risk. It is a kind of subsidy in guaranteeing a minimum price, and in providing low cost capital.

Quote:
Ethanol bad for ozone layer, hmmm..I once read that all the cows, sheeps and other livestock are producing more methane and other poluting gases, more then all the internal combustion vehicles in the whole world. So how do we control and regulate that? Would adding Ethanol to cows diet help? 🙂
A number of farms near here use Jack Daniels' corn mash byproduct as feed. Produces the stinkiest cow manure ever. You know 1/2 mile away.

Quote:
Also some claim that there is no real benefit in electric cars to the environment, since the manufacturing of all battery components and the disposal of batteries is causing even greater pollution.
A friend had to replace his Tesla battery after only 5yrs of service.
I own and drive a Tesla for the past 6.5 years but never pretend to be "saving the planet."

Have long said, "let the market decide." If ethanol is saving the planet and conserving resources then such savings will be reflected in lower price for comparable service. Can't economically make ethanol without diesel and natural gas, so "renewable" is only due to government slight of hand in terminology.

As for used batteries, they are a higher grade of materials than raw ore. My Tesla battery is said to weigh 1400 pounds. Any good capitalist would jump at the opportunity to turn that used battery into profit by reuse.

And speaking of Tesla, that "battery" is really a battery of about 18 other batteries of about 400 cells each. Over 7100 cells in my battery. The whole thing rarely goes bad all at once. Used Tesla cells bring a pretty penny on eBay. And plenty of opportunities are appearing to use used EV batteries for utility electrical storage.

Quote:
Are you sure about that corn?
Its difficult to prove a negative. Surely someone here grows corn? My land grows hay and cattle.
That's a great follow up thx, yes tough times for farmers, cattle and hay is a safe bet. Was at Costco yesterday and the meat is "not getting any cheaper" a couple of big AAA steaks wil run you about cad$80. Pork tenderloins are still very cheap IMHO cad$10 / kg and skinless/ boneless chicken breast about the same.

I was thinking about getting a Tesla as well, but in our cold climate it's not making too much sense, since the heater would be draining the battery. My friend leaves his in Palm Springs most of the year, and he does admit, it was more of a novelty and a "must have" in the mid to higher class niche market, and a bit like a "hey look at me I take care of our world environment" but the bottom line, the technology is awesome, and the number of smiles over kilometer is unbeatable.
FJR comes second best 🙂

"If FJR doesn't make you Grin from ear-to-ear,... there is something wrong with your Face"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 ES the BEST (and most reliable) sport touring bike currently available

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page