Ethanol treatment - Page 5 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 79Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 AM
Farkle Trainee

@RaYzerman I remember the old days of my Honda 750 punched 836 with K&N pod air filters. The bike ran SO strong in the fog or a misty rain.

I got to tell you this is starting to sound a bit like an oil thread! @the Ferret is right the best solution is to ride more so the gas doesn’t sit.

The resident KTM owner.

‘14 FJR (sold)
‘13 990 SMT
‘15 1290 Super Adventure T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:06 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
@RaYzerman I remember the old days of my Honda 750 punched 836 with K&N pod air filters. The bike ran SO strong in the fog or a misty rain.
Water injection is an old hotrodder's trick for knock suppression on lower octane rated fuels. Also used on allied aircraft during WW-II.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #43 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:15 AM
Farkle Trainee

Airplanes don't have steel tanks. They are either integral to the wing and made of aluminum or they are rubber bladders. Water has a minimal affect on either. Most aircraft also have gascolators that will trap any water that doesn't get drained during preflight. Airplanes that sit outside are more prone to water intrusion because the filler caps are on the top of the wing.
TownsendsFJR1300 likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 02:51 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Sea foam!!! Works great, and you can often find it on sale!!
Acpantera and the Ferret like this.
post #45 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 03:48 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Airplanes don't have steel tanks. They are either integral to the wing and made of aluminum or they are rubber bladders. Water has a minimal affect on either. Most aircraft also have gascolators that will trap any water that doesn't get drained during preflight. Airplanes that sit outside are more prone to water intrusion because the filler caps are on the top of the wing.
Steel, aluminum, rubber, doesn't matter to condensation. Temperature and fresh moist air is the source. The concern is not over possible damage to the fuel tank but whether the engine functions the way it is expected to perform.

No trap can catch water dissolved in ethanol. That is why aircraft are exempt from the RFS (Renewable Fuel Standard). Gasoline diluted with ethanol is not reliable. No quantity of additives will change that else the do-gooders would not have allowed aircraft to escape from their good deeds.

The problem is how "ethanol treatments" don't do anything about ethanol. Only increases the fuel's capacity to carry water which is the problem in the first place. Pure gasoline does not carry water. Water can easily removed from pure gasoline but the "treatment" for ethanol-laced gasoline is to add more chemicals to increase the amount of water it can carry in suspension.

Filler caps on top are a source of moisture? Aircraft are parked out in the rain. Flown in the rain. Sometimes find themselves upside down in flight. Your FJR filler cap is styled after an aviation filler cap, only not as robust.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #46 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 04:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

My FJR cap is way more robust then most GA aircraft fuel caps. Have you ever heard of the Cessna killer caps and the FAA SAIB to address the issue?
TownsendsFJR1300 likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #47 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I always thought Av gas was ethanol free and 100-ish octane........

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #48 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 09:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I always thought Av gas was ethanol free and 100-ish octane........
Nah, man. 87 pump gas and seafoam.
post #49 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-10-2020, 10:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Avgas is 100 LL (low lead). There are a few places to get 87 but it's pretty rare. You cannot legally use E gas in an aircraft.
RaYzerman likes this.

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
smiles ÷ miles=bike.
It's simple math.

post #50 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 09:57 AM
Farkle Trainee

Certain aircraft fuel cap types are prone to admitting rainwater if the o-rings deteriorate a bit or the cap doesn't fit tightly. For example I once had some friends with a Cessna Cardinal (177B) that acquired copious amounts of water in both tanks every time we had a significant rain. It's also a problem when refueling in the rain. It's less of a problem flying in the rain because the low pressure over the top of the wing and movement through the air actually can suck stuff out of the wing. This has been illustrated multiple times by guys leaving a fuel cap off after refueling only to have fuel sucked out of the tank(s) through the filler port.

That said, in my experience the business of condensation forming inside a tank isn't a given. I leave my tanks (2 @ 20 gal, rigid aluminum) as they are after a flight, with lots of air inside. For 5 of its 18 years it was tied down outside, the rest in hangars. In all that time the total amount of water I've ever seen checking the sump and tank drains wouldn't fill a shot glass. The plane does have a more elaborate venting mechanism than commonly found, so this might be a factor.

As far as my ground vehicles (bikes, cars, trucks) I don't do anything to deal with the "evils" of ethanol and they all run just fine. My infrequently used devices (generator weed-whacker, chain saw) do get a dose of Stabil in their fuel cans, but that's it.
dravnx and Donk like this.

Last edited by Rich Doyle; 07-11-2020 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page