2Likes
  • 1 Post By red
  • 1 Post By passx

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Throttle Body Screws Loose

Hey, I did a TBS a few months ago and noticed one (or more) of the screws was REALLY easy to turn. I thought it was odd, but adjusted them to match and put it all back together. Now, I can tell it needs a TBS again because of the vibration in the handlebars, and how numb my throttle hand gets after riding for an hour. I thought back to how easy it was to turn the screw, and now wonder if it's even capable of staying in one spot.

I'm thinking of doing the TBS again and putting a dot of glue on top of the screw to hold it in place. But before doing that, I wanted to see if anyone else was familiar with this problem and had any suggestions, or if it might be an indication of a bigger problem.

2014 FJR1300
Between the beaches and the mountains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 02:33 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Radiostatic,

I do not have a Gen3, but anytime I want a screw to stay put, but not use a hard Thread Locker on it, I apply RTV sealant to the threads. That stuff never gets really hard, so you can always remove the screw later. RTV tolerates vibration very well. I would suggest using a high-temperature version of RTV, there.

Not sure why you would have the loose-screw problem there in the first place, though. In my experience, adjusting screws will always have a spring or other retainer to hold adjustments made in maintenance. Take a look at this fiche (zoom in as needed) and check if any parts (such as retainer springs) are missing from your throttle bodies.

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/...a752e/intake-2

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Hmmm.... I wonder if the previous owner removed the screw all the way and the spring came out. Thanks for the link.

2014 FJR1300
Between the beaches and the mountains

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2020, 07:00 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostatic View Post
Hmmm.... I wonder if the previous owner removed the screw all the way and the spring came out. Thanks for the link.
Radiostatic,

Here is the link for all of the FJR1300A /FJR13AER (2014) parts:

https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/l/...fjr13aer-parts

Maybe worth a bookmark . . .

radiostatic likes this.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Last edited by red; 07-05-2020 at 07:04 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:37 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Personally on thing’s like this I would use a drop of loctite green wicking locker, it won’t bind it up so you can adjust or use the screws later but it will hold them in place. It’s what I do.
radiostatic likes this.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page