weep hole water pump - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

weep hole water pump

so today i ran my bike and got it to temperature for the first time since the rebuild got to 4 bars fan kicked on and the temp went down again turned the bike off to check for any leaks.

there it was a leak after checking where it came from (i thought it came from the crush washer since i let the coolant off a days ago) but it actually comes from the weep hole. the amount that leaks is everything that is in the small clear container on the side of the radiator.

my question to you guys is what broke lol the pump has been sitting dry for at least a year probably more so im guessing that the seals have dried up and went bad other then that weep leak everything runs great and the pump seems to be working fine i've found a second hand water pump for 30 euro im not sure if i should get a new pump or just replace a seal

if anyone has experienced this or know what i can change please let me know

thanks in advance
cheers

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 11:14 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Usually its the mechanical seal that is giving you the problem. I have not done the rebuild on this bike but have on others. I would just rebuild what you have. Sometimes you get lucky and you don't have a leak after sitting. I just rebuilt a GSXR1000 engine that had been sitting for 10 years. I bought all the seals for the pump but decided to see what happens on start up. I was lucky and no leaks from the water pump.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:01 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

weep hole water pump

hipi111,

Unless the leak is serious, I would give it several heat-up & cool-down cycles, just riding, and tracking the volume of the losses. It is possible that the seals will soften and seal as they should, in a bit. I'm no expert, but your problem seems fairly rare, here. I would not rush into repair mode, if I could simply top off the coolant a few times, and only then start to worry.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
hipi111,

Unless the leak is serious, I would give it several heat-up & cool-down cycles, just riding, and tracking the volume of the losses. It is possible that the seals will soften and seal as they should, in a bit. I'm no expert, but your problem seems fairly rare, here. I would not rush into repair mode, if I could simply top off the coolant a few times, and only then start to worry.
its a fairly serious issue since all the water in the reservoir just drips out of it going for a an hour ride would drain the reservoir completely and leave me stranded

as additional information according to me when the cct skipped timing the engine got overheated and maybe cooked the the seal im not sure this is my opinion of the things i've seen and noticed while rebuilding the bike

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 PM
red
FJR Top Gun

weep hole water pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipi111 View Post
its a fairly serious issue since all the water in the reservoir just drips out of it going for a an hour ride would drain the reservoir completely and leave me stranded as additional information according to me when the cct skipped timing the engine got overheated and maybe cooked the the seal im not sure this is my opinion of the things i've seen and noticed while rebuilding the bike
hipi111,

Okay, that is a serious leak. With a good CCT and correct chain timing now, it would be the time for a leak repair. I was thinking it was just a drip, or maybe a slow leak. I've had bikes that never leaked, until I parked them for a year or two. No such luck here. At least you're not far from a repaired and running bike.

Best,

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
- Pirelli Angel GT (Spec A) tires, RDL seat, TPMS, GPS digital speedometer (Amazon ~US$28.00).
P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
hipi111,

Okay, that is a serious leak. With a good CCT and correct chain timing now, it would be the time for a leak repair. I was thinking it was just a drip, or maybe a slow leak. I've had bikes that never leaked, until I parked them for a year or two. No such luck here. At least you're not far from a repaired and running bike.

Best,
still have a lot of work ahead of me but im getting closer i ordered the second hand water pump since it was cheaper then buying a mechanical seal and if there's something wrong with it it's under guarantee from the guy/wrecker next up pulling all the wiring and redoing it

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:39 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Just trying to clarify, if the leak is the reservoir or tube leading from it, is that the place to look.... perhaps it's running down the hoses, or some path that makes it "appear" to be leaking at the weep hole (lowest point in the system other than the drain screw).
In other words, if leakage is such that coolant leaks out of the main system while riding that's one thing, when it cools down the reservoir level will be sucked down by vacuum sucking fluid into the rad.
If the level is dropping in the reservoir while engine is hot and running, then the leak is more likely at the reservoir..... note, I know peeps that have had cracked reservoirs band-aided with duct tape to keep them together until they get a new one (they get old and brittle).
I have seen write-ups on a couple of water pump seal replacement jobs..... I'd think I'd chance a used water pump first, nothing to lose there. But I really would take a look at that reservoir bottle.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 03:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

just a heads up, if you have water pump issues check your oil to see if it is murky, no idea if this occurs on an fjr but on an old concours it was a regular thing, the seal allows water into the oil
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Just trying to clarify, if the leak is the reservoir or tube leading from it, is that the place to look.... perhaps it's running down the hoses, or some path that makes it "appear" to be leaking at the weep hole (lowest point in the system other than the drain screw).
In other words, if leakage is such that coolant leaks out of the main system while riding that's one thing, when it cools down the reservoir level will be sucked down by vacuum sucking fluid into the rad.
If the level is dropping in the reservoir while engine is hot and running, then the leak is more likely at the reservoir..... note, I know peeps that have had cracked reservoirs band-aided with duct tape to keep them together until they get a new one (they get old and brittle).
I have seen write-ups on a couple of water pump seal replacement jobs..... I'd think I'd chance a used water pump first, nothing to lose there. But I really would take a look at that reservoir bottle.
it is 1000% the weep hole for sure i felt all over that area and nothing was wet i proceeded to lay under the bike and i saw it dripping out of the weep hole i put a jug under it to catch whatever leaked out once it stopped dripping i noticed that the water was drained out of the reservoir there are no leaks on the reservoir it self i've checked about everywhere to see if i could find something only place that it leaked was straight out of the weep hole i even added some water in the reservoir when the engine had cooled down for an hour or so and it started to leak out of the weep hole once more no other leaks spotted there honestly isn't any other spot where it can leak from down there unless it ran down some tubes but still to be leaking from behind the actual water pump is not possible then

Sven
1998 Kawasaki KDX 200
1982 Suzuki GSXL 750
1998 Honda shadow vt 600
1996 BMW f 650 Funduro
2005 Yamaha fjr1300a
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 05:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

If the bike is just sitting there and you fill the reservoir and it starts leaking immediately, it's not the water pump.

However, if the reservoir was full, you ran the bike, cooled it down and the liquid would get sucked into the cooling system. This replaces hot liquid sent to the reservoir, and/or replaces liquid lost from a leaking water pump seal. If it's the water pump seal, it will be under vacuum as it cools down. Pullling the rad cap off, it then should leak again if it's a water pump seal issue, i.e, no vacuum and gravity takes over (even if reservoir empty at that point).
Again, I'm just trying to understand the conditions under which the leak occurs.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page