HELP! Wallet trapped in glove box 🙁 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

HELP! Wallet trapped in glove box 🙁

Hey guys,
This is the old ďRusty2Ē, now Rusty3. Still need to finish re-setting up my new profile, but Iím heading out of town and kinda need my wallet that is stuck in the inoperable glove box of my 2005 FJR. Oddly, the neutral indicator light stopped lighting up at the same time as the glove box failure. Anyway, Iím hoping someone knows of a quick way (short of breaking it) to get that lid open. Iíve read lotís of fixes on how to disable it so that one is no longer required to have the key on, but that seems to require being able to open the lid. I suspect I have a Solenoid/Relay issue, but right now I just need to get that wallet out.
Any quick clever ideas?
Unfortunately Iím leaving town in 30min with no drivers license so no time to fuss with it now, but I will be back in two days.
I donít think my Yamaha Service Manual will help with any quick access work arounds..
Thanks for any ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:28 AM
Farkle Trainee

the release needs to see 12 volts, either a wiring, fuse, or ground issue. you could run jumper wires but in 30 mins good luck
Rusty3 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:37 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Yep agree, glove box solenoid needs to see 12V with the ignition on. Could even be a faulty ignition switch as some Gen1's had been known to crap out at some point.
Wiring diagram does not show glove box solenoid, so not sure what feeds it... possibly windshield drive unit.... also may be a multi-connector to front cowl wiring, which may have the neutral light (fed via the fuel pump cutoff relay).
Neutral light and glove box thing may not be related..........
Rusty3 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 09:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

I took the relay out of my glove box. Note it opens without power. Technically itís less secure, but how secure can a plastic box be anyway?
georgepittenger and Rusty3 like this.

2008 Gen II
When I was a track-a-holic on my R1 & R6, I used to think that the FJR was an old man's bike. Then I got one and absolutely love it. Hey...wait a minute!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjroddy View Post
the release needs to see 12 volts, either a wiring, fuse, or ground issue. you could run jumper wires but in 30 mins good luck
I think your right. A 12V jumper might be my quickest out. I really didnít expect a 30min. fix, just that I was leaveín in 30. Honestly I donít know when Iíll have time to dig into it, but sure would like to have that wallet now and fix it right later. Thanks for the reply!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Yep agree, glove box solenoid needs to see 12V with the ignition on. Could even be a faulty ignition switch as some Gen1's had been known to crap out at some point.
Wiring diagram does not show glove box solenoid, so not sure what feeds it... possibly windshield drive unit.... also may be a multi-connector to front cowl wiring, which may have the neutral light (fed via the fuel pump cutoff relay).
Neutral light and glove box thing may not be related..........
All good info..
I had just come off a five day ride. This happened on the last day and my buddy had to buy that days Fuel and meals. 😎. Works for me!
THANKS RAY!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad German View Post
I took the relay out of my glove box. Note it opens without power. Technically itís less secure, but how secure can a plastic box be anyway?
Thatís my plan too. By needing that key on, Iím always afraid I will be distracted and forget to turn it off. Dead batteries can ruin a day......
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Guess Iíd better Find some time, get the book out and start pulling Tupperware .
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 08:01 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I think you'd only need to pull the left lower, gives you access to the glove box... might even be able to just pull it outward some and remove the solenoid.... but I'm not a Gen1 expert.
Rusty3 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

I took my solenoid off both FJRs Iíve owned. All I ever keep in it is my wallet and cell phone. And I never leave them on my bike anyway. I got tired of turning the key off and taking the key out, only to have to put it back in and turn the bike back on to get them out. Besides, how many people are ever likely to walk up to the bike and start looking for compartments to steal things out of?
RaYzerman and Rusty3 like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page