HELP! Wallet trapped in glove box 🙁 - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 10:52 PM
Farkle Trainee

Might be a silly question but with ignition on and kill switch off you get no neutral light. Could the kill switch cut power to the glove box too?

The resident KTM owner.

Ď14 FJR (sold)
Ď03 FZ1
Ď13 990 SMT
Ď15 1290 Super Adventure T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donk View Post
Might be a silly question but with ignition on and kill switch off you get no neutral light. Could the kill switch cut power to the glove box too?
Dang it Donk, now your gonna make me go back and plug in that solenoid back in to test your theory. You could be right. What is it they say, try the simplest thing first? Then again, you would think that as much as I use that glove box, that I would have already tested that theory many times over the years but we are creatures of habit, so Iíll try it tomorrow.
Thanks!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I think you'd only need to pull the left lower, gives you access to the glove box... might even be able to just pull it outward some and remove the solenoid.... but I'm not a Gen1 expert.
Well, tonight I dusted off my Yamaha 04-05 Service Manual and dug in. You were right, pulling the lower left faring (and one inner panel) slightly exposed the Solenoid at the bottom of the glove box. Actually the manual refers to it as an ďAccessory BoxĒ. It also shows an accessory box relay as well.
I removed the connector to the solenoid. I know I should trouble shoot this properly, but Iím still pursuing a quick way to get my wallet, so back to the idea of a 12V jumper. The solenoid is fed by a black wire and an O/W (orange/white) wire and it looks like the black wire is ground. Can I safely run jumpers from my battery tender leads to the solenoid? Positive wire to positive and ground to ground?

Last edited by Rusty3; 06-30-2020 at 02:02 AM.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 AM
Farkle Trainee

All you need to worry about is the positive. The ground is not switched on and off, so the ground wire from the solenoid is always grounded.
Rusty3 likes this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:46 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Neutral light should not be related to the glove box. More likely ignition switch... gear position switch could be dirty too, can easily remove and clean it up.
Rusty3 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks guys!
Regarding a dirty gear switch, last weeks ride did put me on about 40 miles of gravel, so Iíll check that too..
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 07:31 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I could never get my '05 box to open. I eventually started using a screwdriver to jimmy it open the few times I wanted inside. That was after I removed the solenoid completely. It opened the same with or without it.
Rusty3 likes this.

2016 Yamaha FRJ1300ES on the way
2005 Yamaha FJR1300AT soon for sale
1981 Kawasaki KZ1100 - Gone
1974 Kawasaki Z1 - Gone
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 PM
Farkle Trainee

BTW, the horn is on the same circuit. Last year someone posted that you can run dual horns without a relay. So i tried it. I was out riding the next day heading for a Starbucks about 40 miles from home. I was not far from my exit when someone started to move into my lane , so I honked at him. Blew the fuse.

I got to Starbucks and realized I could not get to my phone or wallet in the compartment. At that point I was glad I pack the tools to get to the fuse box. Be sure you have a Phillips screwdriver and Allen wrench that you can get to when you ride.
N4HHE and Rusty3 like this.

Jim
-------------------------------------
2017 Yamaha FJR1300 ES
2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale
2020 Kawasaki 1000SX
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2020, 09:19 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty3 View Post
Thanks guys!
Regarding a dirty gear switch, last weeks ride did put me on about 40 miles of gravel, so Iíll check that too..
Sealed, No gravel in there, just oil. Two screws, switch is above shifter, normally just needs a cleaning.
Rusty3 likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2020, 03:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty3 View Post
Hey guys,
This is the old ďRusty2Ē, now Rusty3. Still need to finish re-setting up my new profile, but Iím heading out of town and kinda need my wallet that is stuck in the inoperable glove box of my 2005 FJR. Oddly, the neutral indicator light stopped lighting up at the same time as the glove box failure. Anyway, Iím hoping someone knows of a quick way (short of breaking it) to get that lid open. Iíve read lotís of fixes on how to disable it so that one is no longer required to have the key on, but that seems to require being able to open the lid. I suspect I have a Solenoid/Relay issue, but right now I just need to get that wallet out.
Any quick clever ideas?
Unfortunately Iím leaving town in 30min with no drivers license so no time to fuss with it now, but I will be back in two days.
I donít think my Yamaha Service Manual will help with any quick access work arounds..
Thanks for any ideas!
Took me forever to figure out key on, in neutral, viola opens every time. But as already mentioned, has to see 12v signal
Rusty3 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page