Cardo Packtalk firmware 5.6 update... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-25-2020, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Cardo Packtalk firmware 5.6 update...

So...just did the update...for the 3rd time, trying to get the 'voice' back on my Cardo Slim. She used to say 'Hello Jim's Slim, Mobile One connected, battery status full', every time I powered up. And, ' Goodbye' after I powered down.
After the update that is all gone, PLUS I have to manually renew the connection to my phone every freaking time I power up.
Anyone know a possible solution to my issue? Or how to go BACK to the old firmware?
Sure is tiresome frigging with the comm all the darn time. I have wasted hours with this **** stuff. If I wasn't on 2hr callout most of my life I would throw the whole thing in the garbage.

Jim

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:46 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I think we've all been hit with updates that don't quite work and it is a large pain. Cardo doesn't let you roll back. That's the reason I chose sena so I can install whatever version I want. But to your problem if Cardo support can't provide a fix is there a method to perform a factory reset and fresh install that may put things back to normal? You'll obviously need to fully reconfigure it but sounds like you're having to do most of that each time already. Good luck I hope you can get it working again otherwise Cardio might need a release with a fix update you can install.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I did the update on the packtalk bold and did not have any issues on two units. I think I would try the hard reset too.
2GENAE likes this.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
1991 Honda Nighthawk 750
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2016 Yamaha FZ-07

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 10:14 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I once studied Bluetooth in depth considering buying a license for a product I was developing. At the time the better implementations wanted 500k of ROM for code. Others wanted more. We decided against Bluetooth. Never regretted.

My conclusion then was that Bluetooth is a mess. Nothing I have seen since to change my mind.

There is a stacking order of connections which is supposed to magically assign the desired priority as to what overrides what. It never seems to work when more than 1 phone and 1 headset is involved.

I second pcmem's suggestion that one start with a factory reset. Then note the order of pairing phone, GPS, whathaveyou. If that doesn't work well start over and pair items in a different order.

Sena headsets were notorious for requiring a factory reset between firmware revisions. After update not even factory resets could make my two 30K's behave the same. Cardo Packtalk Bold has been much more reliable but still powers up Bluetooth differently every time I ride.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thanks all for you thoughtful, and, helpful replies. I did a ‘factory reset’...erased all previous copies of the update on my computer and did a fresh download using Chrome instead of Safari, I opened and installed the firmware update again...shut everything off, held my breath, booted up...and, presto! All good now 🤗

2016 FJR 1300A, GPS, bar risers, top case, touring windshield.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:26 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Am still confused by your use of Chrome vs Safari. Cardo uses a stand alone app to update the headset. The old browser extension doesnít work.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-28-2020, 12:22 AM
Farkle Trainee

I just did a firmware update on my Cardo Pack Talk Bold JBL from 5.2 to 5.6 no issues everything is working great. The JBL speakers smoke the Sena speakers I listened to, my friend I ride with had to send his Sena back to factory two times in 5 months so I went Cardo. Time will tell if I chose wisely.
N4HHE likes this.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 02:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Some times the verbal commands such as play next song doesnít work on either of my pack talk bold Jbl s. Could that be because of update
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 04:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad 1957 View Post
Some times the verbal commands such as play next song doesn’t work on either of my pack talk bold Jbl s. Could that be because of update
The majority of the time Cardo commands work but yes sometimes not, same before and after update from 5.2 to 5.6 firmware. I signed into my Cardo cell app and turned up VOX senisity and that helped as I had to yell HEY CARDO. I went up to max and then I could hear the wind in my speakers.So I experimented with this setting, much better now. I also entered the 5 pre set FM station in the cardo site.

If I turn on Amazon Ultra HD app in my cell and link up, I use ALEXA for the voice commands for music UP/DOWN next track or say play Dire Straits and I am jamming them Alexa voice commands works 99% plus my GPS will kick in and mute the music and come back on. The Amazon HD music is SOOO much better then the Cardo FM and its not to shabby vs my old Motocom.

None of these two makes of comms are perfect with voice commands on the road. I have several friends that have SENA and they have issues to. I liked the JBL speakers better so I went with Cardo Pack Talk Bold JBL.

I rode 250 miles today to test, LOVE the JBL speakers with the Amazon HD music. I can hear my music (treble) and my Garmin ZUMO at 75 no problem. My old wired Motomcom was worthless at those speeds in my full face Shoei.

1986 FJ 1200
2008 FJR 1300AE
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 07:01 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Zumo 595 into Packtalk Bold is staticy. Am guessing the Zumo is trying to drive the Pactalk too hard but for crying out loud one would think everybody would agree full scale on the D/A converter is full volume so there wouldn't be any issue?

Know full well this has been a problem because Garmin beeps and routing guidance was unintelligible before finding the right knob to turn it down to 25%. Thinking its still too high.

Garmin doesn't make it easy to find the individual source volume controls.

Oh, and same problem if iPhone music gets routed through Zumo before Packtak.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page